Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone regret moving back to the UK from the US?

Anyone regret moving back to the UK from the US?

Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:12 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone regret moving back to the UK from the US?

Originally Posted by jalan33
pubs......ahhhh....and curry...it must be almost worth it?

Seriously....I've been in USA for 7 years and still have trouble 'letting go of the past', even though its not all that great. Daydream about moving back eventually, but I know reality would be hard.

I lived in Arizona intially for 2 years...quite a culture shock. Have since moved to minnesota which is a better cultural and weather fit for me. Prior to that I was living in the black hole in the southeast of the island called London...many getting sucked under the event horizon forever with enormous mortages and stressful jobs while a few others are spat out into strange places beyond the grey mist of travel zone 6 like Leeds, or the USA in my case.

So going back and trying to continue a career in IT means thames corridor and hideous housing costs (possibly) - unless you move to somewhere like Hull I suppose? But then salarly will be less?
Returning to UK just to enter into a different flavour of the same rat race doesn;t seem wise.

On previous visits back to UK i've noticed I've become more confident and , dare I say it, 'positive' (within reason) and have noticed that rubs off on interactions in the UK.... UK can be quite a social place, just in a very different way than the US in my experience so far.

The 'vibe' of the country is quite different... in some ways a little more 'down to earth' than the US I find.
Is that worth moving for?

Uk visitors to US tend to be quite enamoured with the consumer goods and so forth, but in actual fact the quality of goods in the UK can be higher, and cheaper in some cases - antiques for instance, or basic groceries like bread and , perhaps not surpisingly, fish. I was in buxton derbyshire one time and couldn;t believe the price of some great old furniture in the shops.

My father in law is german and has lived in US for 40 years. I sense he doesn;t like where he is at, but he knows he would not like moving back to germany and probably couldn;t afford it as house prices have stagnated where he lives. I see the ambivalence that I might currently feel can get more pernicious and bitter over the decades --- and the inertia of living in the USA even greater.
Obviously not everyone goes down this path, but I can one has to be careful.

The country you have left changes as well: though some members of my family seem to stay the same! ;-)

My brother sent me a copy of the Idlers "50 crap towns of britain"
its very funny and a great way to clean off the rose tinting and remind youself just how depressing, grubby and dreary some places in the UK are.

As for the chav invasion, not sure if there really is an ever increasing selfcentered lazy underclass over there or not.

Moving back for 6 months to do contract work or something may be a useful experiment.

Whinging: I've had problems with habitualised moaning... in the UK its a normal way to have a conversation or prepare to do something ......."would you like to take a trip to duluth??"......."<whinge>.....bit far......<moan>.....today??..<grumble>.....well i suppose"
I saw that book "50 Crap Towns" too. My home town of Middlesbrough was number 6. After spending some time in the centre of town I think the book had it pretty much right. However, despite the Boro being pretty rough and having run down bits its still home and ten miles away is some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK, so I'll be going back sometime.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Thanks Pants,

I know it's been a long time hasn't it! This first year back has had it's ups and downs and so it's been difficult for me to post here. Finding my feet more though. I don't know what will happen in the future but I am still glad that I made the move back the the UK - i just wish Brit men were more assertive in asking women out - I had forgotten just how bad at that they can be!
The guys are waiting for the girls to ask them out. That's what happens now, didn't you know?

Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Claire dlv is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved back to Edinburgh in 2001 after about 12 years in the U.S. My husband is a U.S. citizen (but Austrian born), I've got a green card and we have 2 (dual-national) daughters. We moved back to America again last summer, after 3 years, because we still had a house (and cats) here and couldn't afford housing over there but I absolutely loved being in the UK again - got a great job at the university, only had to use my car about once a week for food shopping and could walk to work.

At first it was a bit of a shock and we all had to have hot water bottles in August The schools were great and discipline much better than U.S. schools. I loved the proximity to Europe and cheap flights, long holidays (I had 6 weeks a year there only get 10 days a year here!). Edinburgh had changed a lot since I last lived there for any length of time - much more cosmopolitan. However, there did seem to be more gratuitous violence and public drunkeness than previously - my husband got attacked by a bunch of neds one night including girls. There were always drunks in Edinburgh but now there are so many stag parties.

Anyway, now I'm stuck in suburban North Carolina, having to drive miles every day and I miss Sainsbury's and of course the British sense of humour. Sigh. Everything seems so competitive here in the U.S. - especially in the schools. Planning to look at moving again in 2007 if housing situation gets a bit better ... we shall see.

So basically you have to decide on what's most important - cost of living is better in the U.S. but culture in Britain wins hands down any time.

Originally Posted by Terrier
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has moved back from the US to the UK and regreted it?
I have been here in the US for over 3 years now and have all the great things the US has to offer, good job, nice big house, big new car and tonnes of cash. But I can't help feeling that something is missing and begin to believe it is homesickness.
Talked to my brother about it, he lives in the UK, and said I would be mental to return could'nt understand why I would give it all up for a tiny house, making les than half the money I do over here, expensive cost of living and a country over run by chav's.

So has anyone made the move and regrted it? I am heading back in November for the first time since I can here over 3 years ago, maybe my mind will change if I see the place again without my rose tinted glasses on!!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Anyone regret moving back to the UK from the US?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The guys are waiting for the girls to ask them out. That's what happens now, didn't you know?

Haha!! No it's always been like that. British men will take forever and a day to even pluck up the nerve to come over and start talking whereas American men jump straight in.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I live in Canada at the moment, but I know for a fact I wouldn't regret moving back to England for a second. Having struggled terribly over here for months I have been offered a wonderful job in England without even an interview, it's really the nail in the coffin for me. Canada is extremely boring and has seemingly no culture, history or identity to adear to. Whatsmore I find the job market here extraordinarily racist. They don't recognise anything 'non-Canadian' and openly admit it. I've even been overlooked because I got my MCSA in Leeds and not Canada!!!! Presumably Canadians think there's is somehow superior to the UK or US?
To be honest, I'm very bitter at this country. I came here feeling very optimistic and received only negativity and arrogance in return. People here think Canada is the best thing since sliced bread, when quite frankly it isn't. It's shit.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Careybear
I'd like to see more people's views on this subject as well. I know according to JAJ we should wait until Paul can go for his citizenship...but doesn't he have to go 3 years from the time he got his conditional greencard? Or is it 3 years from when he arrived into the country to apply for citizenship? We had to wait almost 2 years just to get a conditional greencard I don't think we can wait another 3 years to get his citizenship or more because it takes awhile for them to process the citizenship itself. It's bad enough we have to wait another two years just to get the conditions removed....I hate U.S. immigration. He has 5 kids in the uk aged 15 years old down to 7 years old and that would be way too much time to wait in my eyes. Since my kids' father hasn't been using his parenting time like he's supposed to for the last 2 years and I have full custody it's time for us to move to the UK I believe so at least his kids won't feel like their father has abandoned them (the ex-wife is making him out to be the bad guy since he's moved).

So, the move back for us seems to be the right one but even my husband isn't sure about it because he keeps telling me how much harder it will be to live there because it's more expensive housing wise and they don't pay as well etc...but i'm so used to being broke what would be the difference? lol...ugh..

Carey
If you are a US/UK couple, leaving the US without citizenship is not the end of the world. In the event of not liking the UK and wanting to move back, then provided the US Embassy in London will accept it (usually if the USC has been living in the UK at least a year) you can DCF in 3 months.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
If you are a US/UK couple, leaving the US without citizenship is not the end of the world. In the event of not liking the UK and wanting to move back, then provided the US Embassy in London will accept it (usually if the USC has been living in the UK at least a year) you can DCF in 3 months.
Now you're tempting me! The citizenship application is in though, so I'd better wait it out. What does DCF stand for?
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jeremai
Now you're tempting me! The citizenship application is in though, so I'd better wait it out. What does DCF stand for?
Direct Consular Filing. Not a term the US Embassy use themselves mind you. but if they accept the petition you avoid the need for going through one of the US service centres, and it's much quicker so you don't need a K3, you get the green card stamp as soon as you land in the US.

They usually allow you to DCF if the USC has ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain)--which you get after 2 years or immediately if you've been married 4 years or more when you get the UK spouse visa. If you decide to move back before the one year is up you don't lose the green card anyway, or if you get prior permission you can be outside the US up to 2 years without losing PR status. In fact, anyone going US to UK it might be worth applying for such permission as the cost of it would probably be less than filing for another green card if you do decide to go back Stateside. If you don't go back within 2 years, well, you've lost the fee but what the hell? Like I say, you can DCF and get another green card in not much more than 3 months.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the explanation, Squirrel. Very interesting. As you seem so knowledgable, can I ask you about the visa that my USC wife wouldl get to return to the UK with me? Once she gets it, is there are time frame in which we have to enter the UK before it expires?

Also, we will have been married four years next month so she would get indefinite leave to remain. Is this noted on the visa or would we have to get some other paperwork done once in the UK? Is there a UK equivalent to the green card? Or would the visa be the only thing to show on subsequent returns to the UK after holidays?

I can't seem to find anything on the UK visas site about what happens AFTER getting the visa. I like to be prepared by knowing all the details!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jeremai
Thanks for the explanation, Squirrel. Very interesting. As you seem so knowledgable, can I ask you about the visa that my USC wife wouldl get to return to the UK with me? Once she gets it, is there are time frame in which we have to enter the UK before it expires?

Also, we will have been married four years next month so she would get indefinite leave to remain. Is this noted on the visa or would we have to get some other paperwork done once in the UK? Is there a UK equivalent to the green card? Or would the visa be the only thing to show on subsequent returns to the UK after holidays?

I can't seem to find anything on the UK visas site about what happens AFTER getting the visa. I like to be prepared by knowing all the details!
I think if it's ILR (or rather she will get Indefinite Leave to Enter ILE) the expiry date on the visa would be the expiry date of the passport. She should automatically get this visa instead of the usual 2 year Limited Leave you get if married less than 4 years. You might like to point it out to them if you go in person or put a note in if you apply by mail, just to remind them--they have been known to make a mistake. They do post date visas by up to 3 months if requested. If she has IL there is nothing to do once in the UK, though when her passport expires she'd need to get the IL transferred to the new passport for which you have to pay. Obviously that's only a 10 year thing. (Unless she gets citizenship after 3 years in which case she'd get a British passport and not need the visa any more).

Yes the passport sticker is all she'll get--no actual equivilant of a green card.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again - great information
Old Aug 20th 2005, 3:41 am
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Squirrel

Thanks Squirrel...i didn't think it was the end of the world either...hee hee especially i'm not sure he wants citizenship. And yes if we decided to go back to the US (which i doubt) i would definitely do the DCF route and get paul his 10 year greencard instead of this stupid 2 year conditional one...grrr i hate US immigration...

Carey