Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a good SUV?

Wikiposts

Anyone recommend a good SUV?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:47 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone recommend a good SUV?

Hi,

I've been living here in the US for a little over 4 months, and soon I will be wanting to buy myself an SUV. I need something that is reliable (I am hopeless at roadside repairs) and big enough for a family of 5, shopping, etc. I will be needing a pre-owned vehicle, to cut down expenses, and economical to insure. Can anyone recommend anything please?

Debbie
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:09 am

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recommend a good SUV?

Originally posted by Polaris_x
The ONLY drawback is the cup holder in the front seat. The circles overlap, so you can only have one drink in the two drink cup holder. Obviously, the enginner was smoking crack when he designed that part.
LOL

BTW, what is the difference between the E.B. edition and the normal Ford Explorer?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:10 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Polaris_x
I like my Eddie Bower edition Ford Explorer. It's got a ton of power with the V8 engine, all leather interior, plenty of room, and it's 4WD. I get about 17MPG, which sucks though. It's never gotten stuck in any of the snow (including last years blizzard) here in Colorado. The ONLY drawback is the cup holder in the front seat. The circles overlap, so you can only have one drink in the two drink cup holder. Obviously, the enginner was smoking crack when he designed that part.
Or you could be sensible and go for a Honda Passport or a RAV4. Jeep Liberties do not handle very well and suck gas. The Nissan Xterra is one you either love or hate, it is on par with Honda and RAV 4 but some people love to drive it and others think it is sucky so you will have to test drive it.

Patrick
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:14 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I drive a Kia Sorento, before you say urgh a Kia, its the tops, all the features and accessories of a luxury SUV for a lower MSRP. Also great safety record, and looks neat too.

I had a CRV before, it had a steering wheel angled like a bus steering wheel...very odd. A bit tinny to drive, but fantastic gas mileage.

My boyfriend had a Dodge Durango for a while, very practical in the snow and on the beach, but on long journeys it was like driving a sherman tank and made us all nauseous. Seemed to roll around on its axes, very odd.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:16 am

Originally posted by Patrick
Or you could be sensible and go for a Honda Passport or a RAV4. Jeep Liberties do not handle very well and suck gas. The Nissan Xterra is one you either love or hate, it is on par with Honda and RAV 4 but some people love to drive it and others think it is sucky so you will have to test drive it.

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Long time no talk! Yep, I agree with you about test driving, as soon as the ice clears from here I am taking my driving test (yes I hold a UK licence, but have to re-test here) and then I can get moving on this in earnest.

The RAV 4 doesn't look too healthy on the safety tests

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat...erall.htm#rav4

though the Honda Passport seems better. Kurt has a Nissan Pathfinder, although an old one and he fancies an Xterra - again it performs better than the Toyota.

As for sucking gas, well having lived in the UK for 43 years, the gas prices here are supreme! (sssshhhh, don't tell my American husband who constantly complains about them)

Debbie
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The complaint with the Xterra from what I have read, is that the drive is sluggish on the roads, but great for off roading. When we checked it out, we were both pleased with what we saw and are looking to get one as soon as I start earning money when my EAD arrives.

You might be able to pick up an oldish Chevy Blazer fairly cheap. See if you have a website like this for your area http://www.phoenixautonet.com/classifieds/index.htm I am currently checking this one out for trucks and the prices seem pretty good for 2 to 3 year old models. The site is linked into all the local dealers. Hopefully you'll have some similar for your city.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I have a GMC Jimmy and have been really pleased with it. Haven't had a thing go wrong with it in over 3 years. I chose the Jimmy over an Explorer because I thought it handled better and better interior ..at that time anyway. ( I was told they have a better resale value too- dunno how true that is).
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbark
Hi,

I've been living here in the US for a little over 4 months, and soon I will be wanting to buy myself an SUV. I need something that is reliable (I am hopeless at roadside repairs) and big enough for a family of 5, shopping, etc. I will be needing a pre-owned vehicle, to cut down expenses, and economical to insure. Can anyone recommend anything please?

Debbie
If you are worried about costs stick with a US domestic vehicle - and I'd personally recommend a Ford, maybe an Explorer. They don't suffer from the poor build quality of many Ford cars built in recent years. The Explorer is the biggest sellng SUV in the world, and for good reason - it is good value!

If you just need it for running around and don't need the 4x4 then you may be able to find a two wheel drive as they do make one. They are just fine for on-road driving, lighter, and more economical.