Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a financial adviser

Anyone recommend a financial adviser

Old Dec 28th 2014, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone recommend a financial adviser

Hi there,
Been in US for 6 years and feel it's time to review my finances with the help of a good adviser. Anyone know somebody who has UK and US experience.
Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2014, 3:47 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recommend a financial adviser

IMHO you are 6 years late.....but it's good you are doing something. What assets/finances do you have in the US and the UK. It might be that a regular US advisor will be ok, but depending on the complexity and your US tax status more might be needed....but I'd actually recommend that you become your own financial advisor.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Nun,
Not that I've done nothing for the last 6 years but feel as I'm not an expert in this area and don't have time to become one thought I would hire one.
I've got property in the UK still and think it's time to buy in the US too now we know we are likely to be staying for the foreseeable.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:12 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Thanks Nun,
Not that I've done nothing for the last 6 years but feel as I'm not an expert in this area and don't have time to become one thought I would hire one.
I've got property in the UK still and think it's time to buy in the US too now we know we are likely to be staying for the foreseeable.
If all you have is UK property then any US advisor or CPA will be able to help you. Are you looking for tax advice or investing advice? If it's the latter I would recommend you spend a few days reading the Boglehead wiki, there's lots of information and links to books and blogs there too.

Bogleheads
Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sorted on the tax front but want to make sure I'm making the right decisions for the longer term. For example I just read the post related to uk state pension and NIC and thought "I've never given that any thought".
So I'm thinking I get a health check for my $$$'s and £££'s to make sure i'm not missing a trick.
I'll look at the Bogleheads site too, thanks for sharing
Old Dec 28th 2014, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If all you have is UK property then any US advisor or CPA will be able to help you. Are you looking for tax advice or investing advice? If it's the latter I would recommend you spend a few days reading the Boglehead wiki, there's lots of information and links to books and blogs there too.

Bogleheads
I second this.

It's really not too hard to get up to speed and become your own advisor.
Paid ones cannot guarantee anything if it's related to investing.
Also more satisfying and practical.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 5:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
I'm sorted on the tax front but want to make sure I'm making the right decisions for the longer term. For example I just read the post related to uk state pension and NIC and thought "I've never given that any thought".
So I'm thinking I get a health check for my $$$'s and £££'s to make sure i'm not missing a trick.
I'll look at the Bogleheads site too, thanks for sharing
As far as NICs go you should decide whether you want to make voluntary payments and if you qualify to pay Class 2. FYI if you intend to stay in the US long term paying Class 2 voluntary NICs is a fantastic deal because they are inexpensive, qualify you for a full UK pension when you have 35 years worth and the portion that is due to voluntary payments is not counted in WEP calculations and it might be the case that if you get the new non-earnings related UK pension none of it will count towards WEP, although that's just me thinking out loud.