British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone recommend a financial adviser (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-recommend-financial-adviser-849563/)

moving2nyc Dec 28th 2014 2:47 pm

Anyone recommend a financial adviser

Hi there,
Been in US for 6 years and feel it's time to review my finances with the help of a good adviser. Anyone know somebody who has UK and US experience.
Thanks

nun Dec 28th 2014 3:47 pm

Re: Anyone recommend a financial adviser

IMHO you are 6 years late.....but it's good you are doing something. What assets/finances do you have in the US and the UK. It might be that a regular US advisor will be ok, but depending on the complexity and your US tax status more might be needed....but I'd actually recommend that you become your own financial advisor.

moving2nyc Dec 28th 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks Nun,
Not that I've done nothing for the last 6 years but feel as I'm not an expert in this area and don't have time to become one thought I would hire one.
I've got property in the UK still and think it's time to buy in the US too now we know we are likely to be staying for the foreseeable.

nun Dec 28th 2014 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by moving2nyc (Post 11514777)
Thanks Nun,
Not that I've done nothing for the last 6 years but feel as I'm not an expert in this area and don't have time to become one thought I would hire one.
I've got property in the UK still and think it's time to buy in the US too now we know we are likely to be staying for the foreseeable.

If all you have is UK property then any US advisor or CPA will be able to help you. Are you looking for tax advice or investing advice? If it's the latter I would recommend you spend a few days reading the Boglehead wiki, there's lots of information and links to books and blogs there too.

Bogleheads

moving2nyc Dec 28th 2014 4:24 pm

I'm sorted on the tax front but want to make sure I'm making the right decisions for the longer term. For example I just read the post related to uk state pension and NIC and thought "I've never given that any thought".
So I'm thinking I get a health check for my $$$'s and £££'s to make sure i'm not missing a trick.
I'll look at the Bogleheads site too, thanks for sharing

Hotscot Dec 28th 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 11514779)
If all you have is UK property then any US advisor or CPA will be able to help you. Are you looking for tax advice or investing advice? If it's the latter I would recommend you spend a few days reading the Boglehead wiki, there's lots of information and links to books and blogs there too.

Bogleheads

I second this.

It's really not too hard to get up to speed and become your own advisor.
Paid ones cannot guarantee anything if it's related to investing.
Also more satisfying and practical.

nun Dec 28th 2014 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by moving2nyc (Post 11514787)
I'm sorted on the tax front but want to make sure I'm making the right decisions for the longer term. For example I just read the post related to uk state pension and NIC and thought "I've never given that any thought".
So I'm thinking I get a health check for my $$$'s and £££'s to make sure i'm not missing a trick.
I'll look at the Bogleheads site too, thanks for sharing

As far as NICs go you should decide whether you want to make voluntary payments and if you qualify to pay Class 2. FYI if you intend to stay in the US long term paying Class 2 voluntary NICs is a fantastic deal because they are inexpensive, qualify you for a full UK pension when you have 35 years worth and the portion that is due to voluntary payments is not counted in WEP calculations and it might be the case that if you get the new non-earnings related UK pension none of it will count towards WEP, although that's just me thinking out loud.