Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone recently renewed their UK passport from US?

Anyone recently renewed their UK passport from US?

Old Jan 26th 2024, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Laurak29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone recently renewed their UK passport from US?

Please tell me the ins and outs so I know what to expect! From what I’ve gathered I need to
submit a picture with the online application, pay fees, send them my old passport and marriage certificate for name change, and wait.

What’s the general time line? Is there an option to expedite? And what’s the best way to send my passport and marriage certificate?

Thank You!!
Old Jan 26th 2024, 9:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recently renewed their UK passport from US?

Originally Posted by Laurak29
Please tell me the ins and outs so I know what to expect! From what I’ve gathered I need to
submit a picture with the online application, pay fees, send them my old passport and marriage certificate for name change, and wait.

What’s the general time line? Is there an option to expedite? And what’s the best way to send my passport and marriage certificate?

Thank You!!
This thread is quite recent and might help: Current UK passport renewal time is quick

Old Jan 29th 2024, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
I am currently going through this process with my daughter. Application done online using photo taken on her phone and uploaded. No name change.
15 Jan - application went in
17 Jan - sent old UK passport, photocopy of each page of US passport. Sent via UPS untracked for $9. Tracked would have been 10x more expensive
25 Jan - notification that documents received
29 Jan - passport approved.

Waiting to receive new passport
Old Jan 30th 2024, 1:12 am
Just Joined

chattscot is an unknown quantity at this point

I renewed mine last summer and it took less than three weeks for my new UK passport to reach me (then my old UK passport came back a few days later). I just used USPS to post the old one to the UK, so it was cheap. The online process was easy and it accepted my first attempt at a self-portrait on my iPhone.
The UK Passport Office emailed me to say it had been received, then gave me updates on it being approved, being printed and being sent by DHL.
I'm on a Facebook group for Brits in the US and this comes up a lot. The average time seems to be between two and three weeks.
Old Jan 30th 2024, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

~2 weeks door to door