Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in the Raleigh area?

Anyone in the Raleigh area?

Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

dusanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone in the Raleigh area?

I moved to the Raleigh area (Glenwood South) with my wife in Jan 2015. Considered Durham and places in-between too.

Maybe I missed it but I don't know how old you are. Do you have kids?

I think everyone here has given some good summaries already. Durham/Raleigh are pretty tiny - there is no need to worry about a crazy city. Both of them seem to imagine themselves being much bigger than they are (although I came from Johannesburg which is really big, but not dense).

If you don't know a lot folks in the area and don't have kids + pets suburbia could get quite boring, IMO. If you live downtown (or an adjacent neighborhood) then you have plenty to explore. That's difficult to do in Durham because the area immediately surrounding downtown isn't that great, IMO.

There are some beautiful suburbs in both cities though, but I think Raleigh has more cookie-cutter suburbia than Durham. At least that's my initial impression.

Can't really speak of the areas in between. Is your wife going to work? How long a commute do you mind? The I-40 trek between Durham and Raleigh can get quite tiresome.

PM me if you want more specifics - happy to help.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:53 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dusanb
I moved to the Raleigh area (Glenwood South) with my wife in Jan 2015. Considered Durham and places in-between too.

Maybe I missed it but I don't know how old you are. Do you have kids?

I think everyone here has given some good summaries already. Durham/Raleigh are pretty tiny - there is no need to worry about a crazy city. Both of them seem to imagine themselves being much bigger than they are (although I came from Johannesburg which is really big, but not dense).

If you don't know a lot folks in the area and don't have kids + pets suburbia could get quite boring, IMO. If you live downtown (or an adjacent neighborhood) then you have plenty to explore. That's difficult to do in Durham because the area immediately surrounding downtown isn't that great, IMO.

There are some beautiful suburbs in both cities though, but I think Raleigh has more cookie-cutter suburbia than Durham. At least that's my initial impression.

Can't really speak of the areas in between. Is your wife going to work? How long a commute do you mind? The I-40 trek between Durham and Raleigh can get quite tiresome.

PM me if you want more specifics - happy to help.
Thanks for the post! We're both 26, no kids and no plans to have kids in the near future. The townhouse we've now signed for is fairly near downtown Durham and in walking distance to my work, the brewery, bars etc so wife is very happy and there's a yard (albeit a small one) so the dog and I will be happy as he can run around while I can grill. If the area isn't the best it's not the end of the world as we're just renting for 12 months to get a feel for the area really.

My wife is going to work and is looking at jobs in Durham, specifically Duke University so we'll see how that works out.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

CarefulTaxpayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackattack
Whoah. You live in a 10,000 sq ft house? Was that a typo? I've seen those online and on the TV but didn't know that real people actually lived in houses that big.

Do you have lots of kids or large extended family? Do you lose them in a house that large?

Well, yes, it's 10,000 square feet. My subdivision is about 18 McMansions in the 7,000 to 13,000 range.

It was s-o-o-o cheap that I couldn't resist. I came from a 7,000 square foot house in the Bay Area, where house prices are ridiculous, i.e. $1,000 per square foot. The Cary home was $150 per foot, so I bought a 10,000 square foot house for the price of a crummy 1,500 square foot townhouse in the Bay Area.

It's amazing how you can use the space: a music studio, a dedicated high-end audio room, a full gym, big shared home office space, two large guest suites, photo studio, etc. Yes, it's ridiculous for two people and a parrot, but it's energy efficient, utilities are dirt cheap in NC. I mainly bought it at first because it was the only home I could find with enough garage space for all my vehicles. It felt huge at first. Now, not so much. We visit friends with 5,000 square foot homes, and, um, well, er, they feel "tight". It's strange how the human brain works.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:11 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarefulTaxpayer
Well, yes, it's 10,000 square feet. My subdivision is about 18 McMansions in the 7,000 to 13,000 range.

It was s-o-o-o cheap that I couldn't resist. I came from a 7,000 square foot house in the Bay Area, where house prices are ridiculous, i.e. $1,000 per square foot. The Cary home was $150 per foot, so I bought a 10,000 square foot house for the price of a crummy 1,500 square foot townhouse in the Bay Area.

It's amazing how you can use the space: a music studio, a dedicated high-end audio room, a full gym, big shared home office space, two large guest suites, photo studio, etc. Yes, it's ridiculous for two people and a parrot, but it's energy efficient, utilities are dirt cheap in NC. I mainly bought it at first because it was the only home I could find with enough garage space for all my vehicles. It felt huge at first. Now, not so much. We visit friends with 5,000 square foot homes, and, um, well, er, they feel "tight". It's strange how the human brain works.
How about my wife and I just come and live with you? We'll be fine with 1500 feet, you won't notice us.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

CarefulTaxpayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by English88
How about my wife and I just come and live with you? We'll be fine with 1500 feet, you won't notice us.

Let me think about it.

....thinking.....

No. :-)
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:17 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

I appreciate you taking the time to consider it. I guess I just need to pay my taxes carefully and get there myself
Old Jun 10th 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

I'm in Chapel Hill, since 2007. Hubby works in Durham. We were advised not to live in Durham by the guy inspecting our passports on our initial entry. LOL (we have a kid, so different considerations)
It's come a long way in the short time we've been here, great bars and restaurants etc. combined with employment opportunities in the universities, hospitals, RTP etc. House prices in the best areas are reflecting that. Gentrification is alive and well in many parts.
Feel free to DM any questions.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:11 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Originally Posted by mommapudding
I'm in Chapel Hill, since 2007. Hubby works in Durham. We were advised not to live in Durham by the guy inspecting our passports on our initial entry. LOL (we have a kid, so different considerations)
It's come a long way in the short time we've been here, great bars and restaurants etc. combined with employment opportunities in the universities, hospitals, RTP etc. House prices in the best areas are reflecting that. Gentrification is alive and well in many parts.
Feel free to DM any questions.
Chapel Hill looked good to me so it's definitely a consideration for our long term arrangements. Plus they have the #1 rated BBQ joint in the South according to Southern Living!

The South's Top 50 Barbecue Joints - Southern Living
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Moved to just outside Chapel Hill last year (was previously in CT).

Love it as a place to live - it's a college town with the benefits and negatives of that. Like to visit Durham, and I work in Morrisville.

Plus they have the #1 rated BBQ joint in the South according to Southern Living!
Am not far from Allen & Sons - after that rating guess it'll become busier than it already was...
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:19 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

I'm really looking forward to the move now. I'm still waiting on my EAD before I hand in my notice at my current company but they're aware I will be leaving soon (and new company are aware I'm waiting for it and will wait) but we're about to put a deposit down on a townhouse and my wife will be moving there on the 2nd of July.

If my EAD is here by then, I'll move on the 2nd of July too but if not then I'll have to help her move in then fly back down and stay in FL until it arrives so I can work. Our current apartment is paid up until end of July and I think it will come before then. I did ask my current company if I can work remotely in NC until I get EAD but I very much doubt they're going to allow that... "Oh hey, do me a favour and let me work remotely for a couple of weeks until I quit?"
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

dusanb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by English88
Thanks for the post! We're both 26, no kids and no plans to have kids in the near future. The townhouse we've now signed for is fairly near downtown Durham and in walking distance to my work, the brewery, bars etc so wife is very happy and there's a yard (albeit a small one) so the dog and I will be happy as he can run around while I can grill. If the area isn't the best it's not the end of the world as we're just renting for 12 months to get a feel for the area really.

My wife is going to work and is looking at jobs in Durham, specifically Duke University so we'll see how that works out.
Ah ok. Then I would tend to side with your wife and imagine a suburb could be quite boring. We're also renting for 12 months to get a lie of the land...

There seems to be less and less concern about Durham and safety; difficult for me to comment because compared to Jo'burg everything feels safe-ish! I regularly walk around downtime Durham day/night.

I think you will end up needing at least one car because there isn't a nearby grocer IIRC.

Anyway good luck and PM me if you need anything?
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:36 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Originally Posted by dusanb
Ah ok. Then I would tend to side with your wife and imagine a suburb could be quite boring. We're also renting for 12 months to get a lie of the land...

There seems to be less and less concern about Durham and safety; difficult for me to comment because compared to Jo'burg everything feels safe-ish! I regularly walk around downtime Durham day/night.

I think you will end up needing at least one car because there isn't a nearby grocer IIRC.

Anyway good luck and PM me if you need anything?
We have two cars so that's not going to be an issue. Considered selling hers and she can use mine for work while I walk/cycle to the office but will probably just keep both to begin with.

Appreciate the help - I will definitely drop you a line if I have any specific questions on the area. Mostly looking forward to exploring and trying all the new breweries
Old Jun 12th 2015, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

Mostly looking forward to exploring and trying all the new breweries

Fullsteam - El Toro is my fave FWIW
Old Jun 12th 2015, 12:31 am
Trash Eatin' Duck

Originally Posted by mommapudding
Mostly looking forward to exploring and trying all the new breweries

Fullsteam - El Toro is my fave FWIW
Fullsteam is a short walk away so I'm sure I'll be trying that very soon!