Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving to australia after the US?

Anyone moving to australia after the US?

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone moving to australia after the US?

Hi

I already posted on the oz site but didn't get any response, so I'm trying here.

I'm interested in anyone that is planning to move to australia after being in the US. We have been here (Maine) for almost 2 years and if all goes well will be in Melbourne in May.

I'm trying to find out as much as possible, especially about

- best way to transfer money to oz from usa
- getting medicals done in usa for the visa

If anyone is in the same boat I'd love to hear from you.

Helen
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 10:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I'll ask my friend tomorrow. She is from Sydney is a GC holder in the States and rents out a property in the Swansea area of NSW, so she will probably know about transferring money. (I'll also ask another friend who is from Canberra).

I'm not sure about the medicals. Have you looked at the Australian Embassy website? Otherwise you might be able to get info from the Aussie Consulate in NYC if you give them a call.

You might also pick up some tips from Aussies who live in the USA here:

http://www.australiansabroad.com

http://www.americanaustralian.org

Are you emigrating there or going on a company transfer? I wish I was going to be an expat there, Australia is my favourite country!
Old Jan 24th 2004, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Englishmum!

We are going over for my husband's job - he will be lecturing at university and they are sorting out all our visa stuff which is great.

Interesting that your friend has property in Swansea - that's where I come from (well - Swansea, Wales that is!)

Helen
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Helen,

I've just been for dinner with my friend and this is her advice;

Open a bank account with a major bank which operates in Australia and has branches overseas. She suggests the British-owned bank HSBC as it is international and certainly has branches in the Melbourne area. You can go online and type see their Aussie site and list of branches & ATM locations here:

http://www.hsbc.com.au

They also offer internet banking. Of course you will need to contact them by e-mail or phone to find out how to set up a new account for expats newly arriving in Oz. Just like the UK, they probably have stringent checks on ID to avoid money laundering and identity theft - so you might need to have documents notarised for example. Anyway, I'm sure the bank will tell you what you need to do and hopefully to try to set up the account before you move out there (although they might want copies of your husband's visa first).

You may not know this as you're in Maine, but there are quite a few HSBC branches in New York City. I have no idea if it's worth initially opening an account over here then transferring it to Australia, but maybe the Australian branch manager can advise?

When you have set up a new account in Oz, all you need to do is transfer the money over by Telegraphic Transfer.

(If you're really desperate and haven't set up an account, you can send a limited amount by Western Union or Thomas Cook - info is on their websites).

My friend also said that if you are selling property to take the money into Australia, you don't have to pay tax (Capital Gains Tax?) on the money.

Finally she said that you are allowed to take up to AUD$10,000 (or equivalent in another currency) in cash into Australia without penalty; but said it's best to check with the Consulate or Embassy that this is still in effect. Their website is:

http://www.austemb.org

Where will your husband be lecturing? Monash University?

Lucky you - I wish I was going to live Down Under....