Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone moved to the states with kids

anyone moved to the states with kids

Old Jun 25th 2004, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

sunshan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile anyone moved to the states with kids

i WANT TO MOVE NEXT YEAR TO NEW YORK WITH MY 2 BOYS OF 5 AND 13,ANYONE WITH THERE THAT CAN TELL ME ABOUT HOW THERE KIDS HAVE SETTLED INTO THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND HOW THEY FIND LIFE IN GENERAL
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:11 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, loads. I've already replied to your post on the other expat site

School system, personally, is great but just like in the UK it can vary hugely from area to area. The school district we are in is just like home from home for us. I find the methods of teaching very similar to back in the UK schools my kids went to.

The teachers, on the whole, really help new children settle in and make a big thing of them when they come from abroad. they are overly friendly and always seem to smile.

My best advice is to get involved. Join the PTA and ask about volunteering at the schools for different activities. There are often lunch time clubs or after school clubs where parents can help. If you get your face known at the school, the school get to know your children quicker and other parents get to know your family. this will help your children make friends and settle in faster. Friends are very important for teenagers and the kids are encouraged to join the sports teams. If you teenager is interested in any sports, then encourage him to join the school team, especially if it is a walk on team (some you have to try out and get picked). If he already plays a sport in the UK, encourage him to try out for them too if they aren't just a walk-on team.

If you know which school district you will be going into, get in touch with them and ask for their details on test scores etc. While personally I don't agree that test scores are the most important aspect of a school they do reflect the academic abilities of the schools and the chances your children have of graduating and going on to college.

Last edited by Ben; Jun 26th 2004 at 12:13 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here 2 years ago with 10 year old and 5 year old. They settled into school really well and the school system where we live is very similar to the UK.

One thing if you do come over is that you have to have proof that your kids have had all their jabs (polio, pertussis etc. etc.) before they can start school. One of the jabs (hepatitis) is not routinely given in the UK but a child must be immunised against it before starting school. So before coming over make sure your kids are up to date with all jabs plus the hepatitis one.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

sunshan is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the information it has been a big help.when you have to make such a big decision to move abroad these expat sites are a great way to find out what other people have to say