British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone miss the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-miss-uk-702182/)

Natashaalex Jan 25th 2011 2:36 am

Anyone miss the UK?

HI there
I'm thinking about moving to the States, near Boulder, Colorado, and am wondering if anyone misses the UK or are they glad they made the move?
Be interested to know what you miss if you do or why you don't miss it.
I'm restless in the UK, fed up with the weather - damp and dark in the North West, and I like the feeling of space in the US. I'm a 40 year old woman, single, no permanent ties as such; I've been over here 6 times this year training, Arizona, Georgia and Colorado, made several friends and like the landscape. I'm setting up self-employed in the UK and I could as easily do it in the US in conjunction with a colleague as business partner. I'm wondering if I'll miss the countryside and greenery and my friends. Sometimes it can be the things you never think of that you'll miss so I'd appreciate the wisdom of those already in the States.

Octang Frye Jan 25th 2011 2:38 am

Re: Anyone miss the UK?

You might want to flesh out your post. Would you be moving here for work? Study? A relationship? How old are you? Do you have family here?

The answers you get will depend on what you post.

nettlebed Jan 25th 2011 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Natashaalex (Post 9126465)
HI there
I'm thinking about moving to the States and am wondering if anyone who has already done this misses the UK or are they glad they made the move?

Really, really missed the UK for about four years. Missed the radio, the pubs, the cricket, my friends, the countryside (horse riding in springtime in the Chilterns is heaven: I still miss that). Missed the cultural life in London, missed being able to be in another country in an hour or two.

Now, not so much, apart from the Chilterns, London, and easy access to Lisbon.

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Natashaalex (Post 9126465)
HI there
I'm thinking about moving to the States and am wondering if anyone who has already done this misses the UK or are they glad they made the move?

Welcome to BE. :)

I didn't think I would...but yes I missed the UK dreadfully. I missed the life I'd taken for granted for so many years. I'm glad I came for the experience but regret it because I know I will never feel settled again.

Natashaalex Jan 25th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 9126470)
Really, really missed the UK for about four years. Missed the radio, the pubs, the cricket, my friends, the countryside (horse riding in springtime in the Chilterns is heaven: I still miss that). Missed the cultural life in London, missed being able to be in another country in an hour or two.

Now, not so much, apart from the Chilterns, London, and easy access to Lisbon.

Thanks for that. Where are you living? I've wondered if I would miss the countryside but I love the wide open spaces in the US, am thinking of going to live near Boulder, in Horse country - it's very beautiful there. I'm rather sick of being cramped and damp in the uk and I've made several friends in the US as I"ve been over here training several times this year.

Octang Frye Jan 25th 2011 2:52 am

I'm 25 miles from Boulder. Can't say I've ever heard it described as "Horse country" before. Anywhere along the front-range is beautiful for that sort of thing.

nettlebed Jan 25th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Natashaalex (Post 9126476)
Thanks for that. Where are you living? I've wondered if I would miss the countryside but I love the wide open spaces in the US, am thinking of going to live near Boulder, in Horse country - it's very beautiful there. I'm rather sick of being cramped and damp in the uk and I've made several friends in the US as I"ve been over here training several times this year.

I live in Redmond, which is about 12 miles east of Seattle.

The scenery around here is marvellous: in the right place, I can look north and see Mount Baker, west to the Olympics (most Brits seem to think that Seattle is on the Pacific, but it's about 80 miles away, with an 8000' mountain range in between), south to Mount Rainier (at over 14000' feet the highest peak in the lower 48) and east to the Cascades.

The weather is pretty much the same as the UK.

I still miss the Chilterns as I said, but looking at the sun gilding the Olympics on an early morning is a sight to stand in awe of...

Natashaalex Jan 25th 2011 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9126474)
Welcome to BE. :)

I didn't think I would...but yes I missed the UK dreadfully. I missed the life I'd taken for granted for so many years. I'm glad I came for the experience but regret it because I know I will never feel settled again.

Do you mind me asking how old you are and where are you living now? How long have you been in the US?

Sally Redux Jan 25th 2011 3:07 am

I'd say give it a whirl if you're single, no kids, not much to lose is there? If you don't like it, move back.

Natashaalex Jan 25th 2011 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9126489)
I'm 25 miles from Boulder. Can't say I've ever heard it described as "Horse country" before. Anywhere along the front-range is beautiful for that sort of thing.

I've named it that - been here staying for a week with a friend - horses everywhere. She's near Loveland. How do you like it here? Glad you moved?

Jerseygirl Jan 25th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Natashaalex (Post 9126518)
Do you mind me asking how old you are and where are you living now? How long have you been in the US?

Before we go any further do you know how you are going to be able to move here? What type of visa?

BEVS Jan 25th 2011 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9126474)

Same here JG.

Octang Frye Jan 25th 2011 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Natashaalex (Post 9126522)
I've named it that - been here staying for a week with a friend - horses everywhere. She's near Loveland. How do you like it here? Glad you moved?

I moved to Atlanta first. And then Colorado. Colorado is a great place if you like outdoorsy stuff. Well educated population. We just have to keep the Californians out. (After wrecking their state, they're flocking here and, get this, they want to repeat the process! Or they move to Arizona.)

Anyway, Colorado is a great state. I like it. Bit of everything.

If you get a visa and become an ex-pat, there's a risk that even when you go "home", you can't ever really go back. But to echo Sally, give it a spin. Be adventurous.

lisa67 Jan 25th 2011 3:26 am

I miss the country side too and the whole traveling around Europe thing, but I wouldn't give up what I have here (Texas) to go back. I enjoy visiting but wouldn't want to live back in the UK.
When I do visit I feel I don't really belong there and on the other hand I feel I don't really belong here either :confused:

Octang Frye Jan 25th 2011 3:32 am

There is a common theme in this thread so far.