Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone making British sausage at home ?

anyone making British sausage at home ?

Old Apr 29th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone making British sausage at home ?

The thread on finding decent sausage prompted me to do a bit more research. We tried to make our own sausage a few years back and finally got the meat / fat ratio right but the mixes sold in the USA were OK at best. Was looking in the UK and they now sell a seasoning / rusk mix just add meat and water, was wondering if anyone had tried any of these mixes from the UK. I am aware that there are forums dealing with sausage making but my interest is British sausage hence the post on here.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:26 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone making British sausage at home ?

Originally Posted by ottotheboar View Post
The thread on finding decent sausage prompted me to do a bit more research. We tried to make our own sausage a few years back and finally got the meat / fat ratio right but the mixes sold in the USA were OK at best. Was looking in the UK and they now sell a seasoning / rusk mix just add meat and water, was wondering if anyone had tried any of these mixes from the UK. I am aware that there are forums dealing with sausage making but my interest is British sausage hence the post on here.
You would probably got more response if you had posted in the Sausage thread you mention you have seen http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=sausages
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
You would probably got more response if you had posted in the Sausage thread you mention you have seen http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=sausages
I read and replied on that thread which seemed more oriented to buying sausage, my main interest is making them at home.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:03 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar View Post
Not sausage. But just returned from England and even though my local butcher was pretty tight lipped on the subject I did manage to glean enough info from him to decide to have a crack at making my own bacon... watch this space.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's his face from Florida, who had the pig, think he tried to make sausages and had a thread on it, but he's back in blighty now, so probably a few years old...don't know if you can find it.

Thydney?
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:57 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully Mrs tonrob and I will be making British sausage later once the Sproutlet has gone to bed...
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum and I have a go while she's visiting each year, she has the butcher double grind the pork or it's too course, then she makes her own bread crumbs (using the hand held blender thing and home made bread) the store bought ones are too fine. Then all she adds is White pepper and salt and we play with it till we get ones we like, no skins we can't be bothered and the kids prefer skinless, so we roll them in a bit of flour and fry them up. It works at a pinch, being gone from UK for a long time they taste good to me, but once I visit home then I can't make them for many months till the memory or good sausages is gone.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:04 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
Trust you to know where the British sausage is hidden
Old Apr 29th 2011, 8:13 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

I used to make them in France - just used belly pork and a Gary Rhodes recipe - worked a treat! I'll see if I can find the recipe - I don't remember it being too challenging, apart from getting the right amount in the skins so they didn't all split the second I cooked them. I had a meat grinder / sausage stuffer bought for me one Christmas which made things easier. Back in a sec....

The book - New British Classics - should be compulsory for all those living away from 'The Mother Ship' and wanting to recreate their fav things - pork pie, sausage rolls, Cornish Pasties, sausages, Scotch eggs, scones, crumpets etc etc. I am not sure I should write out the whole recipe here, but if anyone wants me to send it to them, maybe Gary would turn a blind eye...

Last edited by White-ishRose; Apr 29th 2011 at 9:56 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose View Post
I used to make them in France - just used belly pork and a Gary Rhodes recipe - worked a treat! I'll see if I can find the recipe - I don't remember it being too challenging, apart from getting the right amount in the skins so they didn't all split the second I cooked them. I had a meat grinder / sausage stuffer bought for me one Christmas which made things easier. Back in a sec....

The book - New British Classics - should be compulsory for all those living away from 'The Mother Ship' and wanting to recreate their fav things - pork pie, sausage rolls, Cornish Pasties, sausages, Scotch eggs, scones, crumpets etc etc. I am not sure I should write out the whole recipe here, but if anyone wants me to send it to them, maybe Gary would turn a blind eye...
Just looked this book up on Amazon and it's defo on my list, gets a great right up so that's the next one I need to get, to go along with all my Indian curry ones and the takeaway secret one which has kept me sane since moving over here, so thanks for that info - cheers!!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

sausage man is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: anyone making British sausage at home ?

i make and sell my british banger it go,s down a treat
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm too lazy to try and make my own but I've found a good substitute in Whole Foods Irish bangers...pricey but they go down a treat with some Heinz vegetarian baked beans!
If you have a kitchen aid mixer they sell a sausage making attachment.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:04 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1 View Post
Just looked this book up on Amazon and it's defo on my list, gets a great right up so that's the next one I need to get, to go along with all my Indian curry ones and the takeaway secret one which has kept me sane since moving over here, so thanks for that info - cheers!!
You can get a good used hardcover one for $2 plus $3.99 shipping from them (I did ) A new one is over $100 (or $25 paperback).

Last edited by tamms_1965; Aug 3rd 2011 at 8:08 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sausage man View Post
Just curious are you USDA certified or is it a sideline
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:48 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sausage man View Post
There are so many things that could be said about this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.