Reload this Page >

Anyone in Madison, WI?

Anyone in Madison, WI?

Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Bear10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Madison, WI?

Hi all,

I'm new to this site as my OH was recently offered a position in Middletn ( nr Madison). Just seeing if there are any Brits out there in or around Madison that can give me the low down on what it's like to live there and some insider top tips.

Bear x
Old Nov 18th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Madison, WI?

Originally Posted by Bear10
Hi all,

I'm new to this site as my OH was recently offered a position in Middletn ( nr Madison). Just seeing if there are any Brits out there in or around Madison that can give me the low down on what it's like to live there and some insider top tips.

Bear x
We have parallel histories my chum. I also moved from Hants - Winchester, to Wisconsin but unfortunately ended up in Milwaukee.

Madison is a great town. Consistently voted one of the best to live in the US with plenty to do. Talking of which the first thing you must do is go to The Frequency and watch the great Clyde Stubblefield perform his Funky Monday show. You won't be disappointed.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck with it!

I don't know if it'll help you much, but a couple of years ago, I asked the same question and got some pretty good advice. Things didn't end up working out, so never moved out that way. You might find the thread and a few others if you do an advanced search from the search option up above
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I don't know if it'll help you much, but a couple of years ago, I asked the same question and got some pretty good advice. Things didn't end up working out, so never moved out that way. You might find the thread and a few others if you do an advanced search from the search option up above
Here it is, Bob;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...n%2C+Wisconsin

Jim.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

Ah - that's brilliant- looks like loads of positive stuff other than the winters. Did I see Raven mentioned?! That's who OH is going to work for!

Am quite excited now!!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Macca67
We have parallel histories my chum. I also moved from Hants - Winchester, to Wisconsin but unfortunately ended up in Milwaukee.

Madison is a great town. Consistently voted one of the best to live in the US with plenty to do. Talking of which the first thing you must do is go to The Frequency and watch the great Clyde Stubblefield perform his Funky Monday show. You won't be disappointed.
I'm also from Winchester, although live in Andover at present!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Blimey, that was a little bit longer ago than I thought

Good job things didn't work out for me though because the place soon after got decimated in redundancies.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Ah - that's brilliant- looks like loads of positive stuff other than the winters. Did I see Raven mentioned?! That's who OH is going to work for!

Am quite excited now!!
Oh, good luck!

Yeah, they were the place. They shit canned a couple of teams and laid off most of the studio soon after my interviews. I know someone who went over on a internship and now full time, he likes it but said the pay was shit but he was stuck as he can't afford to move and there's nothing else nearby, well a couple of other mini indies, but they're in even more shaky a position.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, good luck!

Yeah, they were the place. They shit canned a couple of teams and laid off most of the studio soon after my interviews. I know someone who went over on a internship and now full time, he likes it but said the pay was shit but he was stuck as he can't afford to move and there's nothing else nearby, well a couple of other mini indies, but they're in even more shaky a position.
It can't be any shakier than here! 2 of the studios that OH worked in have recently closed down. Hopefully the COD MW3 will have put them in a stronger position. I think the games industry is pretty flakey at the moment everywhere.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It can't be any shakier than here! 2 of the studios that OH worked in have recently closed down. Hopefully the COD MW3 will have put them in a stronger position. I think the games industry is pretty flakey at the moment everywhere.
Some are definitely worse than others come fiscal quarter endings....hope you've got a good repatriation clause in the package to hold on to a little more security as I've known a couple people get relocated across the world for the pub to find they get made redundant within weeks and had to cover repatriation costs on their own

But anyway, yeah, it sounds like a lovely location so really hope it works out for you guys!