Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Atlanta?

Anyone living in Atlanta?

Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone living in Atlanta?

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
He wasn't - it was because you put your personal details etc on an open forum at least in another thread you did.
Any help is always appreciated or advice but putting out personal info does come accross as spamming.
Ok. why didn't Bob explain that to me then by contacting me directly? Isn't that a better way to handle it than trying to impugn my motives in an open forum. I am a Brit Expat, I do live in Atl and I am a Realtor with specific knowledge on the city and it's surroundings. Tell me how you propose I should respond to the question asked without mentioning those qualifiers? Also, does it make my responses less valid if I'm not seen on every thread? I don't care to comment on every thread unless I have something of benefit to add. Remember Winston Churchill's great quote "Blessed is the man , who having nothing to say, says just that".
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:27 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David Richardson
Ok. why didn't Bob explain that to me then by contacting me directly? Isn't that a better way to handle it than trying to impugn my motives in an open forum. I am a Brit Expat, I do live in Atl and I am a Realtor with specific knowledge on the city and it's surroundings. Tell me how you propose I should respond to the question asked without mentioning those qualifiers? Also, does it make my responses less valid if I'm not seen on every thread? I don't care to comment on every thread unless I have something of benefit to add. Remember Winston Churchill's great quote "Blessed is the man , who having nothing to say, says just that".
I am not going to speak for Bob just on what I have observed here in BE.
On quite a few threads I have noticed that you put out your e-mail and web address openly, obviously that does not seem to worry you but there are rules (at top of page) in the forum and generally giving out web addresses etc is sort of frowned upon as it is seen in spamming.
Of course you should mention you are a realtor etc no one is trying to stop you doing that, or that you mention what area you live in. And you should give your opinion of your knowledge etc and am sure it is appreciated.
Personally I don't think Bob was trying to ruin your rep. Occasionally mods will gently point out to other posters etc the rules etc not that person may have crossed them yet but just trying to make them aware what they are etc.
So again the only thing anybody had any problems with was your posting of your e-mail address I think that is just asking for trouble for yourself.
Just pm people it if they want it. I hope this won't put you off posting here as I think you obviously have a lot to contribute here
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The question was 'Anyone living in Atl' Well, I do live in Atl and am in a position to help out specifically if needed. What's the problem with that? I have been on this site for about a month off and on and wasn't aware there had to be a minimum number of posts or responses.I have noticed that there are some pretty crappy responses to some questions and the word 'busybody' comes to mind in a few of them ( no, not you Bob). In another thread somebody was asking about Orlando and more than response slammed Orlando for no apparent reason. I believed the intention of this site was to help with Brit Expat questions - was I wrong? Why are you questioning my motives when I'm clearly in a position to answer this question.
You can help, sure, but posting all your details time and again does come across as spamming, and if you wanted to advertise your services on this forum you can do so properly.

There are plenty of people on this forum who do help other people without posting all their details everytime, a simple link in your signature to your business would do, and when people know that someone could help, they'll recommend the person to PM them etc.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm all about giving people the benefit of the doubt and don't go deleting threads all the time...and promoting one's business, it's spelled out in the faq's.

If you feel you don't want to contribute to other threads, that is fair enough, but you could just give more general advice and say if they wanted more details, to just pm you, or have a link to your site, as long as it is your business, in your signature.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well I'm all about giving people the benefit of the doubt and don't go deleting threads all the time...and promoting one's business, it's spelled out in the faq's.

If you feel you don't want to contribute to other threads, that is fair enough, but you could just give more general advice and say if they wanted more details, to just pm you, or have a link to your site, as long as it is your business, in your signature.
Thank you, Bob. I accept responsibility for not being familiar with the rules. My mistake and thanks to you and another poster for pointing out the correct procedure. I will adhere to it in the future. BTW, I do have a reciprocal link to this site on my own website. Hope to become a regular as time allows.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Thank you, Bob. I accept responsibility for not being familiar with the rules. My mistake and thanks to you and another poster for pointing out the correct procedure. I will adhere to it in the future. BTW, I do have a reciprocal link to this site on my own website. Hope to become a regular as time allows.
That's cool

having a link in your sig, as long as it's discreet isn't a problem, just use the [ url]your web address [ /url] without spaces in your sig, in profile options to make your link clickable.

There is a links page that you might want to see if Paul or Sue could add you to, which they do for helpful sites.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 11:40 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's cool

having a link in your sig, as long as it's discreet isn't a problem, just use the [ url]your web address [ /url] without spaces in your sig, in profile options to make your link clickable.

There is a links page that you might want to see if Paul or Sue could add you to, which they do for helpful sites.
I lived in Atlanta for 5 years, and I liked it at the time, but it depends on your circumstances. We had 2 teenage children and lived in a community with a swimming pool and tennis courts, so they met other children easily. We had a homeowner's association, so that enabled us to meet the neighbours, and have block parties, or picnics at the pool/tennis area. We owned a boat, and there are 2 beautiful lakes nearby (northern suburbs), where we would go on the weekends. The kids would ski, and we would jump in and swim. The water is warm, and the w/e's are always hot (they don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!).

My husband got 5 weeks vacation, and I got 2 weeks (plus we were allowed to take 6 days sick leave for vacation). I would have got 3 weeks after 5 years - but I left just before I had enough time in. (Hubby got 5 weeks because he had been with a big co. for many years).

The traffic/commute in Atlanta is horrendous. The reason being, there is so much vacant land around Atlanta, that they keep building further and further out. Atlanta (especially the northern burbs), is a nice place to raise kids. Good schools, etc. Great shopping for yr wife. Great housing at VERY VERY affordable prices compared to London.

The downside to Atlanta is, it's a long way from anywhere. You can easily go to the North Georgia/North Carolina Smoky Mountains area, which is charming and nice, but of course not as pretty as GB. You won't find anything like that around Atlanta. Everything turns brown in the winter, and can be a bit ugly when you come from a permanently green place like the UK.

Overall, Atlanta is a nice place to live, but it's a bit like Australia. It's cut off from other places. You would have to fly to most other big cities, to see the country. BUT, there is always a lot going on in Atlanta!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
I lived in Atlanta for 5 years, and I liked it at the time, but it depends on your circumstances. We had 2 teenage children and lived in a community with a swimming pool and tennis courts, so they met other children easily. We had a homeowner's association, so that enabled us to meet the neighbours, and have block parties, or picnics at the pool/tennis area. We owned a boat, and there are 2 beautiful lakes nearby (northern suburbs), where we would go on the weekends. The kids would ski, and we would jump in and swim. The water is warm, and the w/e's are always hot (they don't call it Hotlanta for nothing!).

My husband got 5 weeks vacation, and I got 2 weeks (plus we were allowed to take 6 days sick leave for vacation). I would have got 3 weeks after 5 years - but I left just before I had enough time in. (Hubby got 5 weeks because he had been with a big co. for many years).

The traffic/commute in Atlanta is horrendous. The reason being, there is so much vacant land around Atlanta, that they keep building further and further out. Atlanta (especially the northern burbs), is a nice place to raise kids. Good schools, etc. Great shopping for yr wife. Great housing at VERY VERY affordable prices compared to London.
Hi . I agree with some of your comments but must defend Atlanta in others. The brown color you refer to is really only that many people have Bermuda grass ( slow growth) on their lawns and public spaces. In the Spring to Fall , we'd mowing our lawns twice a week if not. It turns brown between late Oct and mid Feb. Other than that , winter denudes the trees. We have the busiest airport in the USA and flights to NY and Chicago are under 90 minutes. Choice of great FL beaches or SC beaches in about 5 hours drive time. It's a very diverse city, great energy due to many uni's and a younger, hipper population than most. The burbs are bland but very safe but the city is very safe also if you stay aware of your surroundings. I love it here and my NY wife is the biggest booster of the ATL you'll ever meet.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 21st 2006 at 2:08 pm. Reason: fix broken quote
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:57 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=David Richardson]
Originally Posted by Mallory

Hi . I agree with some of your comments but must defend Atlanta in others. The brown color you refer to is really only that many people have Bermuda grass ( slow growth) on their lawns and public spaces. In the Spring to Fall , we'd mowing our lawns twice a week if not. It turns brown between late Oct and mid Feb. Other than that , winter denudes the trees. We have the busiest airport in the USA and flights to NY and Chicago are under 90 minutes. Choice of great FL beaches or SC beaches in about 5 hours drive time. It's a very diverse city, great energy due to many uni's and a younger, hipper population than most. The burbs are bland but very safe but the city is very safe also if you stay aware of your surroundings. I love it here and my NY wife is the biggest booster of the ATL you'll ever meet.
I still do like Atlanta, and only live about 190 miles away now, and still like it. Atlanta is a city of trees, and is very attractive in many of the areas. All of the south goes brown in the winter - just the way it is with southern grass - unless you overseed with rye. I think for someone coming from a compact place like the UK, having to fly to other cities is very different. People should know that in advance. If you like a life of eating out, shopping, sunny weather, gardening, barbecues, good schools, uni's, fresh fruit, beautiful homes, you will enjoy Atlanta. My point is, that to see the USA, it's a long way from other places. It's not like living in the Northeast, where you can go to NY, Philly, Boston, DC, etc.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 21st 2006 at 2:09 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:47 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Just be ready for 95-100 degrees F coupled with 95% or more humidity every damn day from May 15- Sept 30. Spring is wonderful, winters very nice also (28F is the coldest night time temp we have seen in 4 years 100 miles south of ATL). Traffic there is a nightmare- often when I would drive to the ATL airport, people from Marietta or other points north of downtown would tell me that I had less of a drive (1.25 hours usually) than they did- although they only lived 20-30 miles away.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Mallory]

I still do like Atlanta, and only live about 190 miles away now, and still like it. Atlanta is a city of trees, and is very attractive in many of the areas. All of the south goes brown in the winter - just the way it is with southern grass - unless you overseed with rye. I think for someone coming from a compact place like the UK, having to fly to other cities is very different. People should know that in advance. If you like a life of eating out, shopping, sunny weather, gardening, barbecues, good schools, uni's, fresh fruit, beautiful homes, you will enjoy Atlanta. My point is, that to see the USA, it's a long way from other places. It's not like living in the Northeast, where you can go to NY, Philly, Boston, DC, etc.
You're right about that. There are not many other cities that offer a great tourist experience like those you mention within a few hours drive.I think Nashville( music scene) and Charleston SC( colonial history)are about the only ones . Savannah is nice too in the right months.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ironporer
Just be ready for 95-100 degrees F coupled with 95% or more humidity every damn day from May 15- Sept 30. Spring is wonderful, winters very nice also (28F is the coldest night time temp we have seen in 4 years 100 miles south of ATL). Traffic there is a nightmare- often when I would drive to the ATL airport, people from Marietta or other points north of downtown would tell me that I had less of a drive (1.25 hours usually) than they did- although they only lived 20-30 miles away.
Hi. More and more people take Marta to the airport( sort of a tube train) as there is free parking at most of the stations on the Northside. It's a $1.75 trip anywhere in the system. You're overstating the humidity a bit too IMO. I would say June,July and Aug are toughest on humidity but only once have in 20 years have I experienced 90 degrees plus for more than a couple of days at a time. You've also got to learn a few alternate routes on key trips at peak times. If I see traffic slowing ahead of me on 75 south, off I go down Northside Drive through Downtown ( a few lights - but you keep moving OK). Some people esp locals make no attempt to learn a few shortcuts.....
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:41 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

So how many of you Atlantas are part of the Yahoo meet up group. Its really fun and has a lot of activities.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/expatbritsinatlanta/
Rob
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
So how many of you Atlantas are part of the Yahoo meet up group. Its really fun and has a lot of activities.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/expatbritsinatlanta/
Rob
I'm a fairly new member of the Brit Meetup group here. We've had a couple of pub visits, a curry dinner and a mini Guy Fawkes night last week. 3 things scheduled for Dec incl a Christmas party and a Dave and Busters trip. It's fun.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 9:05 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fairly new member of the Brit Meetup group here. We've had a couple of pub visits, a curry dinner and a mini Guy Fawkes night last week. 3 things scheduled for Dec incl a Christmas party and a Dave and Busters trip. It's fun.
Thats the other group..... Theres the yahoo one which I belong run by Lisa and the "other" one run by someone called Amanda. Havnt been to any of theres yet. Im having an open house on Friday (info on the calendar Yahoo group) so feel free to drop round for a cup of Bisto!
Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.