Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone live or lived in Anchorage, AK

Anyone live or lived in Anchorage, AK

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice
Default Anyone live or lived in Anchorage, AK

My wife's company has a two year project starting in Anchorage early next year. This would mean her moving there if she gets the position and myself and the two kids would go with her.

The money they are paying is fantastic so our financial position would change beyond belief.

I am sure it would be a great experience to live somewhere like that for a while. Obviously, the money makes it attractive too.

I know I can look at citydata.com and all that but has anyone lived there? I am hoping to get some life experiences from someone who has been on the ground.

What's it like there on a day-to-day basis? Are the facilities in Anchorage comparable to similar sized cities in the lower 48? Is it a good idea?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live or lived in Anchorage, AK

Originally Posted by steve100100
My wife's company has a two year project starting in Anchorage early next year. This would mean her moving there if she gets the position and myself and the two kids would go with her.

The money they are paying is fantastic so our financial position would change beyond belief.

I am sure it would be a great experience to live somewhere like that for a while. Obviously, the money makes it attractive too.

I know I can look at citydata.com and all that but has anyone lived there? I am hoping to get some life experiences from someone who has been on the ground.

What's it like there on a day-to-day basis? Are the facilities in Anchorage comparable to similar sized cities in the lower 48? Is it a good idea?
We have a member who lives in Alaska...Jan Alaska...she moved there from Michigan a few years ago. If you click on her name it will take you to her profile page and you'll be able to PM/email her.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 23rd 2010 at 10:13 pm. Reason: to insert Jan's profile page
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Anchorage is by comparison smaller than most US cities, though it does have all the facilities, shopping malls, swimming pools, housing etc. you might want to look at housing, prices within Anchorage are pretty high so a lot of people commute.
If you hunt and fish and enjoy the outdoors then Alaska is for you. Another sticking point may be the daylight hours, currently sunrise is 9:30am and sunset is 3:57pm. Thats not a lot of daylight, however things do get better in the summer when the sun refuses to set and you forget what stars look like.

Loads of great info on citydata

Jan
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice

I'll give you some advice for a man going to live in AK.

Highest male to female ratio in US, a lot higher. Even in Anch/FBX.
You don't lose your girlfriend/wife in AK, you lose your turn.
Smart guys have the woman stay on the cell phone chatting if alone at the supermarket (seen it constantly) that way guys can't hit on her.

She wants to go to the bar without you or with "friends" (usually dude friends) << Oh hell no!!! not in Alaska!

Oh, and regarding AK airlines , don't bother going "wait a minute , how much for xxxx miles trip??" or "I could almost get from Seattle to London for the same price as that AK to Seattle flight" it's easier to just drop trou and let them ring the ole register on ya.

Nice scenery though
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 9:31 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been in a long while but the cost of basic necessities seemed to be quite a bit higher in Alaska than the "lower 48" states. Milk, bread, eggs, etc were extremely expensive, such that your initial excitement at the $$ signs should be tempered a bit.

You might check a cost-of-living calculator to get a better handle on the costs.

p.s. I hope you like small planes. They are essential up there given the distances, and, unfortunately, not always the safest. Some crash and are simply never found. Never. In fact the Majority Leader of the House of Representatives (MP Party Leader) was lost in 1972 and they haven't found him yet to this day...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111805018.html