Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Houston who can offer advice?

Anyone live in Houston who can offer advice?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice
Default Anyone live in Houston who can offer advice?

Hi there,

I have the opportunity of moving to Houston with my current employer and I was looking for some negatives and positives regarding the move.

I was also hoping someone could advise me on healthcare. My son has Down Syndrome and a hole in his heart and I have diabetes.

Any advice on the above and general lifestyle would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:00 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Houston who can offer advice?

Originally Posted by wokster
Hi there,

I have the opportunity of moving to Houston with my current employer and I was looking for some negatives and positives regarding the move.

I was also hoping someone could advise me on healthcare. My son has Down Syndrome and a hole in his heart and I have diabetes.

Any advice on the above and general lifestyle would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
If it's to be a short-term assignment, consider it. Houston is one of the ugliest places on earth, and very humid, but obviously some people like it. I'm sure some of the 'locals' will be along in due course to fill you in.

However, given your son's and your own medical conditions, I would be weary about a long-term/permanent move. You will probably be all right as long as you are employed by your current employer (check the policy very carefully though - premiums, co-pays, deductibles, life-time maximum, provision for special-needs cases like your son, etc). However, if you ever moved elsewhere, you might not get the same cover.

The big problem could arise for your son: at some point he would have to come off your insurance policy. As a DS patient, he would probably be eligible for Medicaid and disability, but I would look into this very carefully and compare it with provision in the UK.

Also, what would happen to your son if/when you/your wife are no longer around. Would he have a support network/extended family in the UK?

There are a lot of issues to consider...

Last edited by Elvira; Aug 12th 2007 at 7:09 am.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
The big problem could arise for your son: at some point he would have to come off your insurance policy. As a DS patient, he would probably be eligible for Medicaid and disability, but I would look into this very carefully and compare it with provision in the UK.
It is the law that a medically dependant (handicapped) child cannot be dropped from the parents policy so long as the parents maintain coverage.
no matter the age of the child.

18, 21, 25, 30, 50,
doesn't matter, but the parents need to maintain coverage on themselves as well as the child.

it is still a short term solution.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
It is the law that a medically dependant (handicapped) child cannot be dropped from the parents policy so long as the parents maintain coverage.
no matter the age of the child.

18, 21, 25, 30, 50,
doesn't matter, but the parents need to maintain coverage on themselves as well as the child.

That's good to know. Though the fact that the parent's policy is tied to a specific employer is still a concern. And what happens if/when the parent retires/dies?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:20 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know. Though the fact that the parent's policy is tied to a specific employer is still a concern. And what happens if/when the parent retires/dies?
medicaid/medicare would take over I'd imagine.

I don't know, as I said, it's a short term reality.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

A lot also depends upon how old your son is. Can his cardiac defect be repaired surgically? What activities is he involved in back home?

Also, if you are insulin-dependent, even with insurance, your supplies can cost quite a lot.

My gut tells me that unless you have a spouse you'd be bringing with you, I would not move here. Diabetics can have sudden health problems that *could* prevent you from looking after your son and land you in hospital for some time (eg diabetic coma). Yes, that's a worst-case scenario.

~~Amy (American)
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:31 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by snowbunny
...Also, if you are insulin-dependent, even with insurance, your supplies can cost quite a lot.
That's a good point. I'm not sure to what extent testing supplies are covered, but I do know that many insurance policies do not routinely pay for pens, and patients have to use old-fashioned syringes to administer their insulin.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 7:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point. I'm not sure to what extent testing supplies are covered, but I do know that many insurance policies do not routinely pay for pens, and patients have to use old-fashioned syringes to administer their insulin.
Do you remember the Brit a while back who wanted to have quantities shipped from the UK cos it's cheaper (and therefore needed to keep them chilled)?

Some diabetics are Type II and their diabetes is mild and kept in check with diet and exercise and sometimes, oral medication. Some are not that fortunate.