Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone left a 21yo back in the UK ?

Anyone left a 21yo back in the UK ?

Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone left a 21yo back in the UK ?

Originally Posted by MartinColl
Im in a similar situation. We are in the process of going through an Executive transfer on an L1A visa. We have two sons who will come with us and a 21 year old daugther who will not. She is in full time employment now, engaged and with a 1 year old baby so she wold not want to come even if she had the right.

Shes an adult now anyway and wants and needs to stand on her own two feet and make her own life.

However circumstances can change and at some point she might need/want to come and live with us.

We fully intend to make the move to the US permenant. Once we get there the Green Card application process will start immediately. Question I have is if we get the green card would that improve the chances of a direct relative being able to gain a visa with our support?
I think your daughter is further along the line of independence than mine with engagement / baby. If she had finished last year we would both be much clearer on how things would pan out

Thanks for your input though its all useful
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Devil's Advocate time......If your child, currently aged 21 and living independently, had a job offer and the promise of a new life in A N Other country, would you expect them to give that up just in case you wanted to move in with them and have them look after you later in life?

Comes down to whether your life as a family will always be intertwined and interdependent. I was virtually dumped into lodgings aged 16 while still at school doing my O levels. I had to learn to be independent and after that I could never have gone home to live. If I moved back to the UK now I would only live with family for the minimum time necessary. A 16 year old from a very sheltered background can do it at a few days notice. A 21 year old who has been through university certainly should be able to manage without family on the doorstep.
And there are thousands of kids out there who never have the chance to go home. If home isn't there, they have to find another way to cope. Thats life.

You only have one life. live it for you.
Thats the flip side indeed But IMO no parent should leave a 16 year old to fend for themselves even if can work OK. I think she will be able to survive Ok thats not the issue Its just the unknown at this point and it would be easier if she was settled first
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jjmb
What is she studying? I agree with the other posters who say she is more than old enough to find her own way in the world. No doubt you have other family in the UK and she has good friends she can rely on. Once you become citizens, if you go down that route, then you can apply for a visa for her. Of course by then she will be established in her own career and not that interested.

Being a safe haven for your children might seem like a good idea but I have daugther who came back 2 yrs after her degree and she is still here! Admittedly she is studying at night school but she is so comfortable, I am beginning to think she is going down the same route as my cousin who is nearly 60 and living with her elderly father. Great for my cousin's 2 brothers but I suspect she has miss out on a lot as after a certain age it was expected she would look after her aging parents. Once the studying has finished, if not before, DD will be gently pushed out the nest before her siblings come the same conclusion my cousin's brothers did

We are meant to leave home as young adults and most of us achieve that stage on our own 2 feet with a lucky few getting some help from our parents from the sidelines. At least she will have the prospect of a 3 month vacation if she wants.

What about your middle child? As they are at Uni they are at least 18, have the lawyers discussed with you the likelihood they age out before you can submit your gc application. Getting a gc with a L1b is not as easy as getting one on a L1a. Is there any chance you can come over on an A rather a B visa?
Like you I am keen for them to go out into the world and make the most of their life But a child leaving home to find their own way is one thing. Parents emigrating to another country and leaving them at home to fend for themselves before they are settled is something else. My brother left home once he was at Uni and never came back My sister on the other hand seemed to want a room at home just in case for most of their lives! And for me I couldn't afford to leave home at 21 .. there are many reasons they may need you and not just ones that suggest they are lazy
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

I've been surprised at the number of my friends kids who moved back to home after their studies whilst they get jobs and get some savings under their belts.

It is different now from when we all left uni... rents are high and mortgages difficult to get without a hefty deposit so it makes sense to move home if you can.

However, the kids I've seen haven't moved back home because they needed emotional support - it's been a financial decision. So, can the OP afford to keep the family home there for them if needed?

I have some friends here from Glasgow and they were in the OPs position with 2 kids who were young adults but hadn't flown the nest. They moved to the US anyway and have kept the house in Scotland. It meant they had to wait a few years before buying a house here but it has worked out v well. Their eldest now lives in the house with his family and helps out with the costs - a win/win situation for everyone in the end.
Its a good point We are not in that financial position but this could work if we sold the house and bought a flat in the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
F1 is a student visa. I was thinking she might want to do a masters degree.

Maybe also look at a J1 for some sort of graduate internship?
Best solution.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Best solution.
Doesn't that rather depend on what the OP's daughter wants to do ...
Old Sep 16th 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
My thoughts entirely.

(I have a 21 year old and an 18 year old who will remain in the UK, the younger is already making her way in the world whilst the older rents the family home from her mother)

What does the OP's daughter have to say about this? Is she happy to give it a crack living in the real world? Many youngsters don't get the choice but manage just fine on their own

My eldest said (after I'd got a 'case complete') that she'd quite like to have the option to give it a go in the US. I have told her that it's tricky and whilst not impossible it would take some years until she would be able to become a permanent fixture. Our situation differs in that their mother is still in the UK - but she's very much an '18 and you're on own type', suffice to say not as matriarchal as she could be!
I couldn't wait to leave the parental home and was basically done by 17 (and it's driving me nuts living back here since Christmas for the first time in nearly 30 years!!! ).
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
They were looking for a way to get the daughter into the States...no?
Old Sep 18th 2015, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Stratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant future

I've always thought the role of a parent is to make sure their kids, once they reach 18, are mentally and emotionally prepared for world outside the family home. Our son is approaching his 18th birthday, and we haven't even given him the choice of coming with us when we move out to the US permanently.

Not wishing to be harsh, and I do appreciate we all have different approaches to this. Not every family is as dysfunctional as mine.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stratts
I've always thought the role of a parent is to make sure their kids, once they reach 18, are mentally and emotionally prepared for world outside the family home. Our son is approaching his 18th birthday, and we haven't even given him the choice of coming with us when we move out to the US permanently.

Not wishing to be harsh, and I do appreciate we all have different approaches to this. Not every family is as dysfunctional as mine.
Just to clarify, you're leaving him at home then?

18 is still young you know.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinColl
..... Question I have is if we get the green card would that improve the chances of a direct relative being able to gain a visa with our support?
Originally Posted by Bob
It'll be a shit long wait if she's over 21 and especially if she gets married, but once you have US citizenship, it would be better.
It's a "shit long wait" for a US citizen to sponsor an adult married child, around 14 years currently IIRC (visas are currently being processed for applications submitted 14 years ago), and the wait period is growing every year; I have seen estimates that applications today might take 20 years to process.

I don't think a GC holder can sponsor their adult child for an immigrant visa.
Originally Posted by usawi
As a citizen of UK, was it easy to get employment based green card? Is that what you did?
She was in the UK! Emigration to the US and a green card came much later.
Originally Posted by jeepster
Originally Posted by sir_eccles
F1 is a student visa. I was thinking she might want to do a masters degree.

Maybe also look at a J1 for some sort of graduate internship?
Best solution.
Not really. There is no guarantee or liklihood that either would lead to an immigrant visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 18th 2015 at 2:55 am.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Stratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LotusEater33
Just to clarify, you're leaving him at home then?

18 is still young you know.
Yes, but he has his own ambitions to join the Army and he needs to stand on his own eventually anyway.

Like I say, not everyone has the same situation, but for us we didn't even offer to take him and it is not included in my relocation package.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

UHOP is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a back up option they can get a Working Holiday Visa up two Years for Canada Which is closer than the UK, After that ends it is still Easier to move to Canada than the US for most British, They can then easily split there time between the US (up to 3 months in a Year in some cases 6 months they just can't work) and Canada.