Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone learnt to drive in US?

Anyone learnt to drive in US?

Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice
Default Anyone learnt to drive in US?

How long did it take you? And will it take longer to get a licence becaus eof being a foreign national?

Information I've been given, but purely anecdotally from friends so please correct me if I'm wrong, is I need to get my ITIN first (on a H4 so don't qualify for an SSN?) then book in the lessons - does it work like UK where you have a provisional first though, so could I drive while learning?

Am in LA and currently living on enough bus routes that it's not a problem but viewed a house today we loved in the heart of Mar Visata, miles from anything vaguely walkable or transportable....
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:44 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone learnt to drive in US?

State by state

so my experience will not count for much for you. but two states north, I got a learner permit, then booked a test when I felt ready. not too difficult, no need for lessons. a bit easier than in UK. Being a foreigner made no difference. No idea what a ITIN is.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice

I've had 2 lessons in the UK though, not much!!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:48 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
I've had 2 lessons in the UK though, not much!!
Ah, I get you, actually learn, rather than transpose, most instruction seems to be geared towards youth, but I understand that most instructors are happy to teach whoever asks. but I am even less helpful with that sorry.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

After a certain age, California doesn't require anyone to take driver's training courses. All you need to do is go to any DMV office and take the written test and pass that and you will be issued a learners permit. You then can drive with any licensed driver in the car and when you feel ready to take the road test, you make an appointment with any DMV office and take the road test. If you pass, you will be issued a driver's license which allows you to drive on your own without a licensed driver.

If you desire to take driver's training courses, you need a learner's permit first since the instructor is a licenced driver and all you will be doing is driving with a licensed driver in the car.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
After a certain age, California doesn't require anyone to take driver's training courses. All you need to do is go to any DMV office and take the written test and pass that and you will be issued a learners permit. You then can drive with any licensed driver in the car and when you feel ready to take the road test, you make an appointment with any DMV office and take the road test. If you pass, you will be issued a driver's license which allows you to drive on your own without a licensed driver.

If you desire to take driver's training courses, you need a learner's permit first since the instructor is a licenced driver and all you will be doing is driving with a licensed driver in the car.
Yep, my alien husband did the written test in California, and got his learner's permit. The sticky point, though, is that he couldn't drive with "any licensed driver in the car"...it could ONLY be a California licensed driver. It said so right on the permit. I'm licensed in AZ, so I could never help him learn to drive.

He took a few lessons but his work is demanding and he kept putting it off. Finally when he felt ready to take the road test, his permit had expired!! Ugh.

He's just recently passed the written exam again and obtained another permit....my guess is that one will also expire before he can manage to take the road test.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yep, my alien husband did the written test in California, and got his learner's permit. The sticky point, though, is that he couldn't drive with "any licensed driver in the car"...it could ONLY be a California licensed driver. It said so right on the permit. I'm licensed in AZ, so I could never help him learn to drive.

He took a few lessons but his work is demanding and he kept putting it off. Finally when he felt ready to take the road test, his permit had expired!! Ugh.

He's just recently passed the written exam again and obtained another permit....my guess is that one will also expire before he can manage to take the road test.

Rene
Yes, it must be a licensed driver of that state. Why doesn't he get an Arizona learner's permit and drive with you when he is home? When he feels confident, he then gets the California learner's permit and then take the California road test. I think that would be OK since he is really a resident of both states but is only a resident of California for tax purposes.

The issue of residency is vague. For example, a person can be resident for in California for tax purposes but may not be a resident for in state tuition but would likely be a resident for a driver's license.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 2nd 2012 at 5:50 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I took and failed my test in the UK but passed easily here, it was way easier. There was a little theory test that I took before the actual driving part that lasted about 30 minutes. I just had a friend give me lessons.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Yes, it must be a licensed driver of that state. Why doesn't he get an Arizona learner's permit and drive with you when he is home?
Back then, it was because his English was weak, and Los Angeles offers the written test in Farsi. Arizona doesn't do that.

His English is much better now, and might be able to pass the AZ written test. He hasn't mentioned wanting to try, so I didn't push it. Honestly the thought of him driving in LA scares me! LOL

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:19 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't learn to drive here, but I had to take my test while I was living in Florida at the time. It really was a piece of cake. The written part was multiple choice and common sense would allow you to guess correctly. The actual driving test was on a simulated track, not even on proper roads! I passed easily despite being thrown off by left hand drive. In the UK, I had to have 20-odd lessons before my instructor felt that I was ready to take the test. I think that's why us Brits are generally such great and skilled drivers
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I didn't learn to drive here, but I had to take my test while I was living in Florida at the time. It really was a piece of cake. The written part was multiple choice and common sense would allow you to guess correctly. The actual driving test was on a simulated track, not even on proper roads! I passed easily despite being thrown off by left hand drive. In the UK, I had to have 20-odd lessons before my instructor felt that I was ready to take the test. I think that's why us Brits are generally such great and skilled drivers
The automatic makes it a lot easier. I have noticed that with my kids learning.

The test doesn't have hill start, reversing round corner or 3-point turn Ours is on a real road here though.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:29 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The automatic makes it a lot easier. I have noticed that with my kids learning.

The test doesn't have hill start, reversing round corner or 3-point turn Ours is on a real road here though.
I personally don't like automatics. They're lazy to me and I prefer to tell the car when to change gear, not vice-versa. I actually going to trade my automatic Kia in for a manual anyway. The roads in Massachusetts are even more funky than those in the UK (apart from the country lanes) and I feel more "in control" of the car on windy, narrow or hilly roads in a lower gear. Besides, manuals are cheaper to fix and your brakes don't wear down as quickly.

I believe that many states are different though when it comes to driving regulations. I happened to take mine in a state where even a semi-intelligent primate would be given a driving license (Florida).
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't like automatics. They're lazy to me and I prefer to tell the car when to change gear, not vice-versa. I actually going to trade my automatic Kia in for a manual anyway. The roads in Massachusetts are even more funky than those in the UK (apart from the country lanes) and I feel more "in control" of the car on windy, narrow or hilly roads in a lower gear. Besides, manuals are cheaper to fix and your brakes don't wear down as quickly.

I believe that many states are different though when it comes to driving regulations. I happened to take mine in a state where even a semi-intelligent primate would be given a driving license (Florida).
Automatics are good when you're stuck in LA traffic though
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Learned to drive? People don't do that here. They learn to pass a joke of a test...the learning comes with experience and the risk of the rest of the general population

Anyway, are we talking LA the city, or LA the state? Requirements to get a license will be on the states DMV or equivalent site and if you don't have a previous license will depend on your age.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Manuals are a mare to sell on though over here and tend to depreciate a lot more than automatics and much more expensive to buy as they aren't regularly on the forecourt.

Though Mazda do seem to have more than most I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.