Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone learnt to drive in US?

Anyone learnt to drive in US?

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone learnt to drive in US?

Sounds like the test I had in Florida! I took it in a large shopping plaza parking lot (where the DMV was located) and only had to drive around the lot and park the car. given a full license, even though I should've been restricted to automatic.

The whole test took about 10 min and it was complete joke. I only learned how to properly drive when I went back to England on holidays, and having the US license was very helpful as I was considered a fully licensed driver under UK law without the need for L plates and all other learner restrictions.

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I didn't learn to drive here, but I had to take my test while I was living in Florida at the time. It really was a piece of cake. The written part was multiple choice and common sense would allow you to guess correctly. The actual driving test was on a simulated track, not even on proper roads! I passed easily despite being thrown off by left hand drive. In the UK, I had to have 20-odd lessons before my instructor felt that I was ready to take the test. I think that's why us Brits are generally such great and skilled drivers
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deng890
given a full license, even though I should've been restricted to automatic.
I don't think they have that restriction here, it's considered you can just pick up the manual skills if needed ()
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Brendan_SC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I haven't taken any lessons here and am hoping to save myself $140 (for a 2 hour lesson) by just going to the DMV and taking the test. I have a full license for 10 years or so from home, and have taken a couple of online theory tests and passed those.

Does anyone have any details of what the practical side of the test consists of here, so that I can practice those elements myself?

Thanks,

B
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brendan_SC

Does anyone have any details of what the practical side of the test consists of here, so that I can practice those elements myself?
The requirements will be listed on the state DMV site.

Usually, if you're unlucky, reverse a bit, possibly between some cones...possiblye parallel park between 50 foot cones and maybe a 3 point turn. They don't tend to do hill starts or emergency stops.

What gets recommended, in all these driving test threads...they want to actually see you doing things, so over exaggerate looking in the mirrors and over your shoulders.

Don't speed.

When getting to a stop sign and if the sign, the line and the junction don't line up, to stop at each one before going.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My test consisted of coming to a halt at the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk and swerving into and parking at the gas station for the examiner's lottery ticket! Not a lot else.. Oh and reversing into a parking space that you could have parked 14 double decker buses in.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:59 am
Just Joined

cmc87 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a fairly new driver in the UK and moved here in December. I've really just started getting out and about driving by myself. I had my husband take me out first so I could get used to the roads and the intersections. Then I learned the main routes to get to the places I go regularly. We live quite far from most places (30mins + just to get to walmart, the closest store) so it was essential that I learned to drive here asap. It's pretty easy once you get used to how things are here. No roundabouts to contend with anyway!