British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone into Fishing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-into-fishing-762938/)

Bob Jun 26th 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone into Fishing?

1 Attachment(s)
So anyone here into fishing?

I'm not, but after taking the little one to a couple of free summer fishing events in the area, she loved it.

She won a rod and tackle box over the weekend at the Assabet River Fest, and wants to do more.

Any tips? Where's the best place to get hooks and there anything else needed?

The local gunshop used to sell fishing gear, but they moved and now only sell guns and ammo. Walmart is a little scary and there's do Dicks Sporting around here.

Oh and what do people fish out here and any where fun? :)

And amusingly enough, a cousin is getting married, his bride to be had a wedding shower and her MIL to be gave her a fishing rod so she could join the family. She's about as outdoorsy as a cocktail umbrella :D

Keith S Jun 26th 2012 1:33 pm

Re: Anyone into Fishing?

Walmart or Target for the tackle. Cheapest around and no need to pay more at this stage of her fishing career.

WEBlue Jun 26th 2012 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10139812)
So anyone here into fishing?

I'm not, but after taking the little one to a couple of free summer fishing events in the area, she loved it.

She won a rod and tackle box over the weekend at the Assabet River Fest, and wants to do more.

I'm not either, but the husband used to do some fishing some with our youngest. For some reason the others didn't want to fish, but the youngest liked it.

I think the brilliant thing about fishing may be the focus & quietness involved. You have to be quiet & wait, & all you can do is look around & enjoy the secenery in a very quiet way. Some kids can't do this, or can't do much of it, but the ones who can may learn valuable things from it . . . .

Jan Alaska Jun 26th 2012 3:21 pm

The license ... make sure you have one. They are all over folks fishing without licenses. While you are there pick up a state guide to which fish are in season, where you can fish and also baiting. I would stick with a smaller retailer for fishing gear as they will be able to give you advice on whats going on locally.

Have fun with your littlun !

bostonbound Jun 26th 2012 3:32 pm

My husband goes to Sports Authority and Dicks in Framingham. Also for an experience you should go to the Bass Pro shop near Gillette Stadium. I'm not into fishing at all but you can't fail to be amazed when you go there!

Bob Jun 26th 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Keith S (Post 10139973)
Walmart or Target for the tackle. Cheapest around and no need to pay more at this stage of her fishing career.

Never noticed fishing gear at the local Target, but there's another one across town, will have to check that one out...anything to avoid going to the Walmart :lol:

So anything to keep an eye out? Any old cheap hooks/floats?

Bob Jun 26th 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska (Post 10140201)
The license ... make sure you have one. They are all over folks fishing without licenses. While you are there pick up a state guide to which fish are in season, where you can fish and also baiting. I would stick with a smaller retailer for fishing gear as they will be able to give you advice on whats going on locally.

The license is only $5 but not needed in some of these catch and release state/town ponds/lakes. Will have to look into it a bit more though I guess :D

Originally Posted by bostonbound (Post 10140219)
My husband goes to Sports Authority and Dicks in Framingham. Also for an experience you should go to the Bass Pro shop near Gillette Stadium. I'm not into fishing at all but you can't fail to be amazed when you go there!

I'm so not going to Framingham, Rt 9 was the bain of my life and I avoid that dump of a road as much as I can :lol:

The Dicks in Northborough has just opened apparently, so might check that out.

Never been to the Bass Pro, but you're not the first person to say it was a bit of a crazy experience...will have to check it out on the way to the Wrentham outlet mall sometime :)

Yorkieabroad Jun 26th 2012 4:28 pm

Don't spend a fortune on fancy gear - we were at Lake Fayette that is apparently one of the best large mouth bass lakes in the state. We were on the jetty with all these guys in camo (:huh:?) with all the fancy gear and my wife yanked out the biggest fish of the day - her tackle? A 2 foot pink princess rod with a chunk of hot dog on the end:rofl:

Bob Jun 26th 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10140308)
Don't spend a fortune on fancy gear - we were at Lake Fayette that is apparently one of the best large mouth bass lakes in the state. We were on the jetty with all these guys in camo (:huh:?) with all the fancy gear and my wife yanked out the biggest fish of the day - her tackle? A 2 foot pink princess rod with a chunk of hot dog on the end:rofl:

That's more my kind of fishing :lol:

Worms are minging and while the little one likes playing with worms, she'll have nothing to do with hooking the thing...grim that business :D

Captain Cheesestick Jun 26th 2012 4:49 pm

I go with my daughter when we're in the Adirondacks every other week. I have an old rod and use whatever bait - worms or bread usually. She catches fish all day long with a Hannah Montana fishing rod that an uncle bought for her. It's actually a genuinely good rod, but some twonk put HMs face on it to convince girls it's cool.

I never thought I'd like fishing. Certainly not like the nutters in armpit waders and camouflage (think about the logic of that - it's insane). But go book a week on vacation in the off-season on The Outer Banks and sit on the beach all day long with a fishing rod. My word it's relaxing.

Yorkieabroad Jun 26th 2012 5:15 pm

I remember doing it when I was a kid with my granddad, but never done it since until we got here. Don't think I'd go off on my own to do it, but I must admit, I enjoy it with the kids....some good quality fun time.

Bob Jun 26th 2012 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10140391)
I remember doing it when I was a kid with my granddad, but never done it since until we got here. Don't think I'd go off on my own to do it, but I must admit, I enjoy it with the kids....some good quality fun time.

I only went once as a kid, with a mate....caught nothing and thought it was shit and never bothered since as it's a bit dull.

Can drink booze now and that's the appeal to fishing I guess...but the little one likes it and it's nice to hang around a lake...could be worse things she'd be into.

At least it hasn't cost me anything, yet, so won't mind if she gets bored :D

Manc Jun 27th 2012 5:17 am

I went on a charter out into Lake Michigan once.

my fishing bag clinked and I got sunburned.

Karrie72 Jun 27th 2012 11:32 am

When I lived in Alaska my boyfriend at the time was mad about fishing and so I had to join in and I actually really enjoyed the experience...very relaxing, beautiful scenery and deliciously fresh salmon panfried right by the river.

I haven't done much with my kids but this thread has inspired me...off to walmart I go!

Rete Jun 27th 2012 8:23 pm

Check to see if at that young age she needs a fishing license. You usually don't need one for certain waterways but will for reservoirs and lakes. Also Walmart is a good place for fishing gear and to get the license. At her age she doesn't need expensive equipment.

Walmart is where I get my fishing license and my lures, hooks, bait, etc.

Can also try kernels of corn for bait.