British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   anyone immigrated with reptiles? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-immigrated-reptiles-704536/)

gnasher12 Feb 8th 2011 2:54 pm

anyone immigrated with reptiles?

Hi, I really need some advice, I have a pet tortoise, which I really want to take with me to the US. but I am having a hard time getting a straight answer about how to do this?

anyone know any airlines that allow you to take reptiles on board?

or if you have done this?

he is small, and would be find on board, i am so tempted just to put him in my handbag, and see if anyone notices haha, but seriously any advice would be great.

I have contacted DEFRA and USDA already, and still waiting for a straight forward reply.

Octang Frye Feb 8th 2011 4:04 pm

Re: anyone immigrated with reptiles?

No, the in-laws are still in the UK.

Octang Frye Feb 8th 2011 4:13 pm

Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins

Live turtles with a shell length of less than four inches (linear measure) and viable turtle eggs
may not be imported for commercial purposes. An individual may import live turtles with shells
less than four inches long if the importation is not for commercial purposes, and the importation
includes less than seven live turtles, less than seven viable turtle eggs, or any combination of
turtles and eggs totaling less than seven. The CDC may issue a permit for importation of more

than the permitted number if the importation is for a bona-fide noncommercial scientific or
exhibition purpose.
There are no Public Health Service restrictions on the importation of live turtles with a shell
longer than four inches. Importers and exporters of all tortoises and terrapins must obtain
clearance from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Importers should check with USDA regarding
import restrictions for some tortoises.

Jerseygirl Feb 8th 2011 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by gnasher12 (Post 9161957)
Hi, I really need some advice, I have a pet tortoise, which I really want to take with me to the US. but I am having a hard time getting a straight answer about how to do this?

he is small, and would be find on board, i am so tempted just to put him in my handbag, and see if anyone notices haha, but seriously any advice would be great.

I have contacted DEFRA and USDA already, and still waiting for a straight forward reply.

You also need to check the airline's policy on transporting reptiles.

meauxna Feb 8th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by gnasher12 (Post 9161957)

I just sent an email to USDA on your behalf, because the link is broken on their site.
So far I have found the following for you to study:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information
http://www.fws.gov/le/Travelers/TravelerIndex.htm

(from usda)
Importing and Exporting Pets

USDA plays an integral role in protecting American agriculture by facilitating international trade of pets and animals, monitoring the health of animals presented at the border, and regulating the import and export of animals, animal products, and biologics.

* National Center for Import and Export
* U.S. State and Territory Animal Import Regulations
* International Animal Export Regulations
* Ports of Entry for Importing Animals and Birds
* Wildlife Import-Export Permits

Those sites are all linked here.

The link for Octang's text: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...d.ctt/pets.pdf

My good buddy is a tortoise guy and he moderates a forum on the topic. Would you like me to connect the two of you? He may know of other resources like the airline.

gnasher12 Feb 8th 2011 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9162414)
I just sent an email to USDA on your behalf, because the link is broken on their site.
So far I have found the following for you to study:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information
http://www.fws.gov/le/Travelers/TravelerIndex.htm

(from usda)
Importing and Exporting Pets

USDA plays an integral role in protecting American agriculture by facilitating international trade of pets and animals, monitoring the health of animals presented at the border, and regulating the import and export of animals, animal products, and biologics.

* National Center for Import and Export
* U.S. State and Territory Animal Import Regulations
* International Animal Export Regulations
* Ports of Entry for Importing Animals and Birds
* Wildlife Import-Export Permits

Those sites are all linked here.

The link for Octang's text: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...d.ctt/pets.pdf

My good buddy is a tortoise guy and he moderates a forum on the topic. Would you like me to connect the two of you? He may know of other resources like the airline.

oh my god, i love you! do you know how many people i called today, with no straight forward answer, crazy.

i think i need an export permit, and then USDA needs to get involved, and then i have to hope an airline will let me take him as carry on, so thank you.

and yes please put me in touch with your friend, that would be very helpful.

my list of things to do before immigrating, just keeps getting longer, like im totally scared of all the things that need sorting out, i really dont know how people do it.

next on my list after the tortoise, it what to do with debts, when you leave the U.K

its all fun fun fun when you marry an american

hahaha

Jerseygirl Feb 8th 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by gnasher12 (Post 9162596)
oh my god, i love you! do you know how many people i called today, with no straight forward answer, crazy.

i think i need an export permit, and then USDA needs to get involved, and then i have to hope an airline will let me take him as carry on, so thank you.

and yes please put me in touch with your friend, that would be very helpful.

my list of things to do before immigrating, just keeps getting longer, like im totally scared of all the things that need sorting out, i really dont know how people do it.

next on my list after the tortoise, it what to do with debts, when you leave the U.K

its all fun fun fun when you marry an american

hahaha

There's loads of past threads regarding UK debt. There's a search function located in the pink bar at the top of the page...give me a shout if you need help locating them.

The general opinion is if you can't afford to keep paying your debts off once you've moved...call the companies concerned and explain your position. You can often renegotiate a lower interest rate or sometimes even negotiate a lower payoff amount. It's not wise to leave the debt behind...we have had members whose relatives in the UK have had visitors from debt collectors. Also you may one day wish to move back to the UK...never say never. :D

gnasher12 Feb 15th 2011 4:23 pm

so i found out in the U.K you have to call this place in Carlise 01228 403600

they deal with the whole process, its through them you get the export permit for your animal, they will also send find out what the U.S requires if anything, it differs between states, they also make the box that your tortoise will fly in, unless you can make one yourself that is to their regulations.

Then they also book the flight, and sort it out with airline for you. so they pretty much take care of everything, but you need the export permit first before doing anything.

and all this costs between 4-500 pounds.

you also a need a letter from a veterinarian to say the animal is in good health and can fly, it needs to contain the name of the species etc.

and thanks, i am looking at threads about debt, so i can figure out what the best thing to do is, the fact that this debt is only 1700, frozen interest, and im on a payment plan already, cos it got taken to debt management because i had no job at the time, and no money. i pay like a little each month, not very much at all. but i hate them, they hassel you, talk to you like crap, and i tried to change my name with them 4 times, sent them numerous copies of my deed poll, which they refuse to except unless original, and im not sending original to these people. so they dont even have my correct name, makes it so tempting to immigrate and leave it all behind.

Pistonbroke Feb 16th 2011 12:09 pm

I left my reptile back in England and married a new wife.