Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Old May 25th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Well, I'm a native USC, and we have St. Andrew's crosses on both our vehicles. One, because I am proud of my Scottish heritage, and two, because my husband is Scottish. I have no problem with that, and I've never met one American that does.

I get more insulted by those damn "God Bless America" stickers. They make me want to get out and slash the tires. Or get a sharpie and write on the sticker "and the rest of the world too".
Old May 25th 2011, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, I'm a native USC, and we have St. Andrew's crosses on both our vehicles. One, because I am proud of my Scottish heritage, and two, because my husband is Scottish. I have no problem with that, and I've never met one American that does.

I get more insulted by those damn "God Bless America" stickers. They make me want to get out and slash the tires. Or get a sharpie and write on the sticker "and the rest of the world too".

I would quite happily pay to see someone's reaction if that was done to their sticker!!!

Or, you could stroke out the word 'bless' and write 'help' instead, perhaps . . .
Old May 25th 2011, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Have a shufty - hardly a symbol of fundamentalism is it? If you saw a crescent moon on a car would you assume the person inside was a terrorist?

Preach tolerance to those of other races but woe betide someone who wants to believe in God. How many actual, real life fundies have you run in to on a daily basis in order to hate Christianity so much? Were you buggered by a vicar, maybe??

Look - I'm not having a jab at you, and I'm agnostic, but I get kind of tired of this 'oh aren't we so enlightened and lets all have a go at the Christians' when in reality it is only a small percentage of them that are nutters.

Your view of that fish is just as bad as what Awesome Wells' American chums are saying about the Puerto Ricans IMO.
Well, I happen to be somewhat strongly against all religions, that's my personal preference. I don't have a particular problem with what I would call 'casual Christians' (or casual Muslms, casual Hindus, etc), but I do have a problem with anyone who takes their religion 'seriously'. By 'casual', I mean, someone brought up in a religion who blindly and unchallengingly follows it through cultural indoctrination; they call themselves Christians (Muslims/Hindus/Etc) but are only there because their family raised them that way.

I do have a problem with people who 'actively' pursue their religion - talk about it, display symbols, etc. 'Born Again' Christians fall into this category, as do Christian Fundamentalists. In my experience, only people who have strong views about their faith display the 'fish' symbol - you are proclaiming to others 'this is my belief and I am proud of it'. Such people don't get my respect and I do consider them to be nutters. I agree this is only a small percentage, but then, only a small percentage display the 'fish' symbol.

I don't view active Christians as benignly as you seem to. To some degree, being a 'Christian' implies a certain set of decent values, but scratch the surface and it gets complicated. Consider the issue of 'family values' - domestic partners, homosexuals, family planning, etc. - Fundamentalist Christians are going to group together and rally around these issues.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass

+1 ! I also have a giggle at those 'these colors don't run" stickers, which by now are all faded !
Old May 25th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, I happen to be somewhat strongly against all religions, that's my personal preference. I don't have a particular problem with what I would call 'casual Christians' (or casual Muslms, casual Hindus, etc), but I do have a problem with anyone who takes their religion 'seriously'. By 'casual', I mean, someone brought up in a religion who blindly and unchallengingly follows it through cultural indoctrination; they call themselves Christians (Muslims/Hindus/Etc) but are only there because their family raised them that way.

I do have a problem with people who 'actively' pursue their religion - talk about it, display symbols, etc. 'Born Again' Christians fall into this category, as do Christian Fundamentalists. In my experience, only people who have strong views about their faith display the 'fish' symbol - you are proclaiming to others 'this is my belief and I am proud of it'. Such people don't get my respect and I do consider them to be nutters. I agree this is only a small percentage, but then, only a small percentage display the 'fish' symbol.

I don't view active Christians as benignly as you seem to. To some degree, being a 'Christian' implies a certain set of decent values, but scratch the surface and it gets complicated. Consider the issue of 'family values' - domestic partners, homosexuals, family planning, etc. - Fundamentalist Christians are going to group together and rally around these issues.
Amen to that - Ha! Err..... oh.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:40 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

I agree with you on the fundies, they are mentalists. I was just trying to provide some balance.

People of faith aren't the problem - people of dogma are. Maybe I've not been quite as exposed to as many of the US style 'in your face' Christians as you have, I'll give you that. Back home, even the 'born again' types tended to leave you alone (but in NI you don't go broadcasting your denomination either).

Each to their own. I don't care if you dislike religion in general, but I don't know that you should go round knocking all followers just from the actions of the lunatic fringe. The religious right though, open season on those mother****ers

Last edited by SultanOfSwing; May 25th 2011 at 4:43 pm.
Old May 25th 2011, 4:45 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
The noob called me a troll - fantastic.

So, the flag is a show of pride - for the nation you walked-out on.

You also seem to be making an assumption that in order to have pride, it must be publicly demonstrated. I disagree with that.

Why anyone would choose to live in a new country and then make it clear to anyone who might give a shit that you are somehow different, foreign (superior maybe?) is objectionable and disrespectful to the hosts, in my view.

I think the phrase, "Attention Whore" may be appropriate in some cases too.

I'm humbled and grateful that you feel sorry for me, your pity will help me struggle through the day. Now, where's my union jack underpants?
where do you stand on the common American habit of car stickers proclaiming which university the driver went to? Boorish tribalism or inoffensive pride in one's alma mater?
Old May 25th 2011, 4:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by elfman
where do you stand on the common American habit of car stickers proclaiming which university the driver went to? Boorish tribalism or inoffensive pride in one's alma mater?
I often wonder if they just obtained one to make it look like they went to a university, because most of them don't drive like they have the intelligence to enter higher education . . .
Old May 25th 2011, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder if they just obtained one to make it look like they went to a university, because most of them don't drive like they have the intelligence to enter higher education . . .
The only U sticker worth having. Thanks to Bullwinkle
Attached Thumbnails Anyone having problems in Arizona?-345152925v13_225x225_front_padtosquare-true.jpg  
Old May 25th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Neither. Give me some more suggestions to choose from.
Old May 25th 2011, 5:12 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by dakota44
The only U sticker worth having. Thanks to Bullwinkle
You know, I wouldn't necessarily mind if it was being put there because of academic prowess, but you can tell by that block lettering they use for them (the real ones, that is) that it is only because of the bloody football team
Old May 25th 2011, 6:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I wouldn't necessarily mind if it was being put there because of academic prowess, but you can tell by that block lettering they use for them (the real ones, that is) that it is only because of the bloody football team
Quite right, what's the country coming to if you can't put your football team sticker on your truck - GO BEAVS
Old May 25th 2011, 6:09 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by lansbury
Quite right, what's the country coming to if you can't put your football team sticker on your truck - GO BEAVS
What's the country coming to if the only thing people associate with an institute of higher education is an even girlier form of Rugby League . . .?

Your turn
Old May 25th 2011, 6:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

What's the country coming to if the only thing people associate with an institute of higher education is an even girlier form of Rugby League . . .?

Your turn
Well if you had compared it to the gentleman's game of Rugby Union I could have understood the point. But League, all cloth caps and Eddie Waring, played by northern poofs.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:18 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by lansbury
Well if you had compared it to the gentleman's game of Rugby Union I could have understood the point. But League, all cloth caps and Eddie Waring, played by northern poofs.
Actually I think you understood my point perfectly! All in the name of harmless fun, of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.