Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Old May 24th 2011, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone having problems in Arizona?

Originally Posted by jackattack
I drove for 15 years in the UK and was only stopped once (for driving at dusk without my lights on). I got a quick slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.

In the 6 years I've been here, I must have been stopped 10 times and have been to online 'traffic school' three times! My husband tells me that I drive like a European, which causes the cops to pull me over, and then when they talk to me, my home counties accent sounds condescending. Therefore I get a ticket.

My husband on the other hand, always hands over his (expired) military ID along with his driving license. They immediately hand it back saying "we don't need this" and he gets off with a warning.

Traffic cops. Seriously, who needs 'em?
Old May 24th 2011, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Part of the backlash you might be experiencing is that two Buckeye Police officers were shot recently in Phoenix.
According to a DPS officer that I spoke to, apparently two of the shooters were illegal immigrant from south of the border who had been deported previously for criminal activity and the third was an anchor baby whose parents are here illegally from south of the border.
I can't remember who it was but some satirist once did a compilation from one nights news coverage where essentially each story starts "A black man is wanted..." repeat it enough and people are afraid of the scary black man. The same is happening to stigmatize immigrants.

Does not justify the officer's actions, but may explain it.
Nothing excuses the officer's actions, he was out of order. I had a bad day at work today, that doesn't give me the right to ignore my responsibilities neither does it give him the right to ignore his.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
My husband on the other hand, always hands over his (expired) military ID along with his driving license. They immediately hand it back saying "we don't need this" and he gets off with a warning.

Traffic cops. Seriously, who needs 'em?
FIL is like that, used to be the town fire chief, about 20 odd years ago, still has the plates though
Old May 24th 2011, 4:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockstar08
I've been living here for about 4 years, since the 1070 law was passed I have notice an increased distain for all immigrants, legal or otherwise.

I was recently stopped by a DPS officer, who said he was "sick of immigrants coming over here and living off of the government", he gave me a speeding ticket, without any proof that i was speeding, he said all he needed was his testimony.

I have an English flag in the back window of my car, and feel thats the reason he stopped me.

I am not to bothered about the ticket, I have a clean record and can get it dismissed by the court, but the reason he stopped me, is churning me up. I know I can make a complaint, but what good will it do? Profiling immigrants appears to be an accepted practice here.

Should i remove the flag, I feel aggreaved to do so and am quite pissed about the whole thing..

Whats your opinion?
most cops wear mics now for this various purpose of false allegation ...
more than a few have been jailed in my state for wild claims to avoid prosecution ...so if you complain there may well be a record or even a dash cam
Old May 24th 2011, 5:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

In summary, racial and ethnic disparities in traffic stop outcomes were found even after
taking into consideration other legal and extra-legal factors known to influence police
decision making during traffic stops.

http://www.azdps.gov/About/Reports/d...eport_2009.pdf

Afraid I only skimmed it. It also talks about the low level of recording despite an earlier recommendation to so do.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Weird.

I've been here in AZ for about 2 years now, and while I do hear quite a bit of rhetoric against 'immigrants', it is very clear that the immigrants in question are from south of the border. If anything I get more respect from people when they find out I'm from UK. I was pulled over late one night driving home from work, and given a sobriety test. The guy was super polite, and afterwards thanked me for my honesty (I told him I had drunk one beer earlier in the evening, which was true).

This sounds like an isolated event and I would definitely report the guy.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Rockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really niceRockstar08 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
most cops wear mics now for this various purpose of false allegation ...
more than a few have been jailed in my state for wild claims to avoid prosecution ...so if you complain there may well be a record or even a dash cam
I have already asked, there was no recording either video or audio of the traffic stop, and he didn't use a radar, any speed measurement device or 'pace' my vehicle during the time.

Quite honestly, the guy wouldn't have made such an outrageous comment, if he had his "state issued recording device" turned on. Thats pretty much a given.

When you go to court, they have to give you a copy of all the evidence against you, its called discovery, but the absence of any audio/video recording doesn't really mean anything. The guy probably won't turn up in court, and it will get dropped.

The complaint against the DPS is another matter, not only will they look into my experience with the DPS officer, but they will look at other stops he has made too. I am willing to bet that I am not the only person who has found themselves profiled by him. People usually follow form.

I don't believe I should be concerned about making a complaint about this guy, I am an upstanding person, that is plain to see, regardless as to whether I get convicted of this speeding citation. Ultimately, the reason he stopped me does not excuse his actions, and that is what the complaint is about.

I go to court in the morning, will post back then.
Old May 24th 2011, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here DPS + Denver Public Schools, but the reputation seems similar!

Let's face it you get jerks everywhere, I have had a few stops, some I have talked my way out of, some I have not.

Highly unlikely to get stopped in UK due to the preferred use of cameras.

Way it goes.
Old May 24th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Out of personal interest, what is the rationale for having an English flag in the back window of your car?
Old May 24th 2011, 1:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Out of personal interest, what is the rationale for having an English flag in the back window of your car?
Or a W04, Jesus or bloody honor student sticker. You want to decorate your car with anything, that's fine by me. I may laugh at you and call you a wanker, though.

Saw a great one the other day, though:
Turn off hate radio.
They're really not on your side.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

zulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nicezulueta is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Keep the flag...contest the ticket and tell the judge he called you a cnut for laughs
Yeah, I agree. Keep the flag and file a complain. So sad to hear your story....
Old May 24th 2011, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
It's his constitutional right
Old May 24th 2011, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

I was just laughing at the 'live off the Government' comment. Obviously they know nothing about immigration!
Old May 24th 2011, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Or a W04, Jesus or bloody honor student sticker. You want to decorate your car with anything, that's fine by me. I may laugh at you and call you a wanker, though.

Saw a great one the other day, though:
Turn off hate radio.
They're really not on your side.
When I was living in Colorado someone had a " ( Insert 4 letter word beginning in F here ) George Bush" sticker in the back window , copped pulled them over and told them to take it off, ended up in a big broohaha resulting in cop having to publicly apologize to owner of said sticker.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishman43
When I was living in Colorado someone had a " ( Insert 4 letter word beginning in F here ) George Bush" sticker in the back window , copped pulled them over and told them to take it off, ended up in a big broohaha resulting in cop having to publicly apologize to owner of said sticker.
There were a lot of O'Bama stickers, they seem to be disappearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.