British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone had mail problems? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-had-mail-problems-523017/)

Ash UK/US Mar 19th 2008 6:41 pm

Anyone had mail problems?

Anyone had any problems mailing items to the UK? On Feb 29th I mailed a birthday card over and it has still not been received. March 6th (almost 2 weeks ago) I mailed a small box it still has not been received.

March 10th I mailed 2 birthday cards for my dad and he got them 3 days later... whats with it?

TruBrit Mar 19th 2008 6:44 pm

Re: Anyone had mail problems?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 6085575)
Anyone had any problems mailing items to the UK? On Feb 29th I mailed a birthday card over and it has still not been received. March 6th (almost 2 weeks ago) I mailed a small box it still has not been received.

March 10th I mailed 2 birthday cards for my dad and he got them 3 days later... whats with it?

did you have your return address on the envelopes?

i've had some come back to me coz the envelope is the wrong shape ie square which requires extra postage.

NC Penguin Mar 19th 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6085581)

i've had some come back to me coz the envelope is the wrong shape ie square which requires extra postage.

Did you put the postage on yourself before you mailed the envelopes or did you buy the postage at a Post Office? What happened to you shouldn't have occurred if you'd bought the postage in a Post Office. The staff should charged you the appropriate amount.

Ash UK/US Mar 19th 2008 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 6085786)
Did you put the postage on yourself before you mailed the envelopes or did you buy the postage at a Post Office? What happened to you shouldn't have occurred if you'd bought the postage in a Post Office. The staff should charged you the appropriate amount.

The birthday I put the stamp on... it was not a large card but I still added extra postage to be sure.

The box I took into be wieght and they put the postage on it.

Ash UK/US Mar 19th 2008 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6085581)

yeap... I always put a return addess sticker on there. :)

Juswus Mar 19th 2008 7:58 pm

There never seems to be any rhyme or reason as to why things take so long or not. I've sent cards that took a month and packages that took 3 days...so...*shrugs*

Yeah, those funny shaped cards are a PITA!! I can't believe you have to pay extra for a smaller card...wtf! :mad:

TruBrit Mar 19th 2008 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 6085952)
There never seems to be any rhyme or reason as to why things take so long or not. I've sent cards that took a month and packages that took 3 days...so...*shrugs*

Yeah, those funny shaped cards are a PITA!! I can't believe you have to pay extra for a smaller card...wtf! :mad:

the first xmas i was here i bought some lovely xmas cards for the folks back home, sent loads off. mid jan they all came back :ohmy: and so off i went to my local post office and they told me coz they were square envelopes they cost more :curse:

TruBrit Mar 19th 2008 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 6085786)

i've just explained my learning curve with usa square envelopes on my post above.

Jerseygirl Mar 19th 2008 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6085995)
the first xmas i was here i bought some lovely xmas cards for the folks back home, sent loads off. mid jan they all came back :ohmy: and so off i went to my local post office and they told me coz they were square envelopes they cost more :curse:

Apparently you have pay more for irregular sized envelopes in the UK now. Couldn't believe it when my MIL told me...had to get it confirmed by my sister.

Emma M Mar 19th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 6085575)

Ive had problems receiving mail from the UK, one item took a couple of weeks to receive, and another took only a few days, they were both letters, nothing bulky or anything awkward, from the same area too.

Manc Mar 19th 2008 9:39 pm

I've had prolems receiving stuff from the UK.

TruBrit Mar 19th 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6086069)
Apparently you have pay more for irregular sized envelopes in the UK now. Couldn't believe it when my MIL told me...had to get it confirmed by my sister.

if they will not go through the letter box apparently. i dunno the uk is getting more and more like this country every day :(

meauxna Mar 19th 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6086462)
if they will not go through the letter box apparently. i dunno the uk is getting more and more like this country every day :(

It's because of the machines, the damn machines!!!

Anything that isn't 'normal' (fits in the machine) and has to be dealt with specially. Manpower = extra cost, I guess.

TruBrit Mar 19th 2008 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6086535)
It's because of the machines, the damn machines!!!

Anything that isn't 'normal' (fits in the machine) and has to be dealt with specially. Manpower = extra cost, I guess.

yes that's what my nice post office lady told me here. the machines here are not able to process square envelopes and so have to be processed by hand.

Sally Redux Mar 19th 2008 10:58 pm

It's erratic. Most things arrive quickly but we sent some photos to relatives in larger envelopes (sent from the post office) and they took about 4 weeks to arrive.