Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a list of no-nos for Customs?

Anyone got a list of no-nos for Customs?

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone got a list of no-nos for Customs?

Hi all,

Been away a while getting visa sorted in the UK, now back here on an L1A instead of VWP. I didnt bring any foodstuffs back, because I didnt want to fall foul of the customs regulations. But what exactly is banned? Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Meat
Dairy products
Fruit
Seeds, leaves etc

So that would rule out Oxos (as pointed out on other threads). What about tea? Curry powder? Spices? I dont think anyone would object to chocolate, but it is made of milk and seed products.

I do susbsribe to the view of "when in Rome..", but I also like the odd Brit thing, like tea! If anyone could point out what is or is not allowed definitively, then I would be a happy bunny when I come back after Christmas leave.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone got a list of no-nos for Customs?

Crack.
Heroin
Guns
Explosives
Imported Russian wives.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've been wondering about this myself, as am off to the UK in a week's time and will be hoping to fill the gaps in my suitcase with goodies on the way back.

This site has good info. Go to "Questions" (in green on the top bar) There's a section on foodstuffs you can bring in. Seems one can bring most cheeses - GREAT!!!

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Hi all,

Been away a while getting visa sorted in the UK, now back here on an L1A instead of VWP. I didnt bring any foodstuffs back, because I didnt want to fall foul of the customs regulations. But what exactly is banned? Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Meat
Dairy products
Fruit
Seeds, leaves etc

So that would rule out Oxos (as pointed out on other threads). What about tea? Curry powder? Spices? I dont think anyone would object to chocolate, but it is made of milk and seed products.

I do susbsribe to the view of "when in Rome..", but I also like the odd Brit thing, like tea! If anyone could point out what is or is not allowed definitively, then I would be a happy bunny when I come back after Christmas leave.

Thanks in advance.

I spoke with a customs guy when I flew into PHL from LHR last year. He was very helpful, teabags, coffee, sweets and treats are all fine.

I brought back (and declared):

- PG tips teabags
- Coffee
- Large galaxy chocolate
- Large fruit and nut chocolate
- 3 pack of turkish delights
- 1 selection pack of chocolate and sweet ( jelly babies, mini mars bars etc)
- Pack of hob nobs
- Pack of milk chocolate digestives
- Pack of plain chocolate digestives
- Pack of lemsips
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Hi all,

MeatDairy productsFruitSeeds, leaves etc
Meat and meat products are their big thing at the moment
Hard Cheese is allowed ...
Guns are allowed .. need a permit though ... The ATF can help there ..
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:28 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I always wondered why firearms are put in with alcohol and tobacco in the ATF.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:33 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I always wondered why firearms are put in with alcohol and tobacco in the ATF.
Armed tax collectors!

http://www.atf.treas.gov/about/atfhistory.htm
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Crack.
Heroin
Guns
Explosives
Imported Russian wives.
Forgot the Filipino wives and anyone else you might try to flog out on the dodgy market

Other things to watch out for a razor blades and lighters...espcially if you use a straight razor
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 4:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
lighters...espcially if you use a straight razor
JeeZ!! Bob !! Your taking me back to my teddy boy days...

Last edited by Ray; Oct 22nd 2005 at 5:14 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
Guns are allowed .. need a permit though ... The ATF can help there ..
I dont think customs would be too pleased with someone on an L1 turning up unannounced at immigration with a couple of 9mm's stashed in their luggage.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:52 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I dont think customs would be too pleased with someone on an L1 turning up unannounced at immigration with a couple of 9mm's stashed in their luggage.
LOL... Actually when they banned the guns in the UK .. thousands arived here..(with permits of course) Nowadays it mainly quality shotguns .. A friend of mine arrives wednesday with his ...
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
LOL... Actually when they banned the guns in the UK .. thousands arived here..(with permits of course) Nowadays it mainly quality shotguns .. A friend of mine arrives wednesday with his ...
Hehe yep I remember that happening. Whats he got? I sadly got rid of my Berreta SO5 Sporting...wish I'd kept it now.. makes my Rem. 870 magnum express look like a cheap plaything.
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
JeeZ!! Bob !! Your taking me back to my teddy boy days...
slasher or shaver with the razor?

though saying that, I wouldn't mind getting one, but not easy to find...and has to be cheaper in the long run than using those mach3 blades...hmmm...
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Hi

I've been wondering about this myself, as am off to the UK in a week's time and will be hoping to fill the gaps in my suitcase with goodies on the way back.

This site has good info. Go to "Questions" (in green on the top bar) There's a section on foodstuffs you can bring in. Seems one can bring most cheeses - GREAT!!!

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/
Thanks for this link, it is exactly what I was looking for. It seems most dairy products are admissable. Although what "Exotic Newcastles Disease" is, I am not too sure!!!!! I have certainly had Newcastle Brown disease, which is quite similar to any other hangover!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:54 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Bob
slasher or shaver with the razor?

though saying that, I wouldn't mind getting one, but not easy to find...and has to be cheaper in the long run than using those mach3 blades...hmmm...
Can't beat a cut throat razor for a decent shave (called open razors in the US ) plenty for sale on ebay for $5 up ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.