British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone got a hot tub/spa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-got-hot-tub-spa-360089/)

ukemigrant Mar 9th 2006 9:46 am

Anyone got a hot tub/spa?

Myself and the missus have been looking around at hot tubs and spas (just went to the Home and Garden show up here in Pittsburgh for any locals - highly recommend it - good fun). Can any of you who have one share your experiences with me (re ownership, satisfaction, problems, tips, as opposed to how you and the neighbors got it on one drunken night :)).

Thanking you!

PS Just got my US passport in the mail yesterday. I'm more prepared for travel now than my natural born compatriots :).

Lynne Mar 9th 2006 11:11 am

Re: Anyone got a hot tub/spa?

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Myself and the missus have been looking around at hot tubs and spas (just went to the Home and Garden show up here in Pittsburgh for any locals - highly recommend it - good fun). Can any of you who have one share your experiences with me (re ownership, satisfaction, problems, tips, as opposed to how you and the neighbors got it on one drunken night :)).

Thanking you!

PS Just got my US passport in the mail yesterday. I'm more prepared for travel now than my natural born compatriots :).

We have had ours for over ten years now. Go to a reputable pool and spa company. Ours is made by Sundance and we have been very happy with it. Look at the insulation of the tub. If you get one with good insulation it will be very cheap to run. We turn the heat off on ours in May and it stays off until October/November and the temp does not drop below 103. Features like an "ozonator" are a good idea. This helps to sanitize the water. Don't buy cheap, remember you get what you pay for. Ours has an auto filtration that cuts in every six hours which is a good idea. With being up North good insulation is something you need to give priority too. You will need to check that you have a suitable outlet. As we knew we were going to get a hot tub when we built our house we made sure that one of the outlets outside was a 220. Look at the number of jets too, that can make a big difference.

We use ours year round and love it. Cost wise they are not expensive to run. We empty our to clean it about twice a year and when we refill it doesn't add much to our water bill. In overall cost I think it added $10.00 a month to our electricity bill.

As for drunks, never had that problem. We regularly have cook outs and tub parties. A cover for it is a good idea especially if, like us, you have a treed lot. You can actually lock them to keep out the undesirables. lololol

You can always PM if you have any questions. I originally wanted a swimming pool but got talked out of it and had a hot tub instead. I must confess now that I am glad. A pool can be very time consuming whereas a hot tub can be used 24/7.

Where in PA are you? Good luck.

CarlM Mar 9th 2006 11:57 am

[QUOTE=ukemigrant] as opposed to how you and the neighbors got it on one drunken night :)).

Thanking you!
QUOTE]

Shame, the 'me and the drunken neighbor' story is a cracker..

vegas Mar 9th 2006 12:47 pm

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7002300621

Enjoy

Patrick Mar 9th 2006 1:36 pm

we have one, there excellant, just the maintentance is a pain (but we have a pool too so its the maintenance of both thats a pain) - we are moving (again) soon (this will be our 4th house purchase in 3 years) and we are making sure we can put a hot tub in there somewhere

ukemigrant Mar 9th 2006 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne
We have had ours for over ten years now. Go to a reputable pool and spa company. Ours is made by Sundance and we have been very happy with it. Look at the insulation of the tub. If you get one with good insulation it will be very cheap to run. We turn the heat off on ours in May and it stays off until October/November and the temp does not drop below 103. Features like an "ozonator" are a good idea. This helps to sanitize the water. Don't buy cheap, remember you get what you pay for. Ours has an auto filtration that cuts in every six hours which is a good idea. With being up North good insulation is something you need to give priority too. You will need to check that you have a suitable outlet. As we knew we were going to get a hot tub when we built our house we made sure that one of the outlets outside was a 220. Look at the number of jets too, that can make a big difference.

We use ours year round and love it. Cost wise they are not expensive to run. We empty our to clean it about twice a year and when we refill it doesn't add much to our water bill. In overall cost I think it added $10.00 a month to our electricity bill.

As for drunks, never had that problem. We regularly have cook outs and tub parties. A cover for it is a good idea especially if, like us, you have a treed lot. You can actually lock them to keep out the undesirables. lololol

You can always PM if you have any questions. I originally wanted a swimming pool but got talked out of it and had a hot tub instead. I must confess now that I am glad. A pool can be very time consuming whereas a hot tub can be used 24/7.

Where in PA are you? Good luck.

Thanks for all the info - we're in Freedom PA, which is 6 odd miles west of Cranberry Twp, which is 25 odd miles north of Pittsburgh. :)

ukemigrant Mar 9th 2006 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by vegas

Interesting - thanks for that I'll take it with a pinch of salt though, I mean there are so many cleaning systems built into those things. Still if I contract something I'll let you know so you can say 'I told you so' :).

Thackattack Mar 9th 2006 3:39 pm

a hot tub would be sweet! Its on our list of things to get in the next year perhaps.

BritGuyTN Mar 12th 2006 4:48 pm

we have one but we don't really use it, it was here when we got the house

if you get one, you obviously have to 'christen' it! ;)

Patrick Mar 13th 2006 12:20 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
we have one but we don't really use it, it was here when we got the house

if you get one, you obviously have to 'christen' it! ;)

I've pissed in mine already, its alright!

AmerLisa Mar 13th 2006 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Patrick
I've pissed in mine already, its alright!

LOL :D