Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone got HD TV?

Anyone got HD TV?

Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got HD TV?

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I have to ask, some of you seem to spend a lot of time here, do you watch much TV?

Not me. My average boob-tube watching weekly is around 2.5 hours. More than enough time to know there is diddly on television worth paying through the nose for cable and a HD television.

If I want to watch a movie, I go to it.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we have a 55inch TV and watch maybe 20+ hours of TV a week ourselves with the kids watching maybe another 40 hours of stuff (usually repeated again and again) during the day.

we have the HD package and it does look good... didn't cost us any extra as we have the highest package they (Time warner) do anyways.

its nice
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:49 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 42" plasma with comcast HD

I really think its worth it, especially for sports - the picture is incredible
Old Aug 28th 2006, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Anyone got HD TV?

Originally Posted by Terrier
Thinking of upgrading to HD TV reception, have the TV already just need to change the signal I get.

So anyone got it? What do you think? Will cost about $20 more than I pay now, worth it?
Let me begin by saying that my wife is bored of me saying 'God I love HD' every time we watch shows like 'how I met your mother'. I watch non-HD channels only when there is no version on HD.

I felt really cheated when I went over to a digital cable box (from an analog one) in the UK because I thought it would be like the move from VHS to DVD - clearer picture. How wrong I was - normal digital TV is an excuse for the broadcasters to control the bandwidth and send out a rubbish image. The result is blurry images with noticeable jaggies along the edges. Digital cable over here is worse because NTSC is worse than PAL.

HD changes all that though - it provides a guaranteed bandwidth and even stuff that wasn't filmed in HD looks better when shown on an HD channel (known as upscaling). In fact proper HD looks much better than normal DVD.

I don't watch many movies on TV - I have a netflix subscription to address that.

To get an idea of this - look at channels like Discovery HD and most of CBS's shows - they look amazing in HD. Like most others are saying - sports look much more realistic in HD. I was really wishing I had HD when the winter Olympics were on because NBC transmitted it in HD but their normal picture was rubbish. I did have it in time for the World Cup and that was great in HD too!

Also, I'm a bit of a hi-fi freak so I love the fact that the HD shows are transmitted in Dolby Digital so you get better quality sound too.

Ok, I think that's enough gushing.

Martin
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I have DirecTV for the HD stuff, and I have a Mac Mini connected up too, cos it plugs straight into the DVI socket on the back of my TV. We download loads of stuff from UKNova and just play it back on the TV, in fact these days we probably watch that more than the US tv!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
I have DirecTV for the HD stuff, and I have a Mac Mini connected up too, cos it plugs straight into the DVI socket on the back of my TV. We download loads of stuff from UKNova and just play it back on the TV, in fact these days we probably watch that more than the US tv!
I want to do this as well - but I'm sure my husband will say its too hard to do.....such a hassle to download from UKNova and then burn it on a cd....etc, etc, etc! We have Direct as well, but not sure if we are getting their HD package.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
OMG do thosa things actually exist?
or are you pulling my plonker?????
englishnurse! I would not do that to you my dear Yes they do exist,i also have a 60 inch Mitsubisi in my computer/music room.A friend of mine had a 84 inch TV. A 19inch or a 27 inch TV would look rather out of place in our living room,its 33ft X 24ft and the computer room is 20ft X 14ft
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:11 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I have a 42" plasma with comcast HD

I really think its worth it, especially for sports - the picture is incredible
exactly!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:32 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

We have HDTV, not sure what channels we get it on.

Hubby likes to ask: "look at the picture, its great, so clear"

"well I can see it, if thats what you mean" is my usual reply.

He used to do the same to me when we were in the B&O store, they would set up the little cinema room for us to hear stuff, and the sales rep would ask me what I thought:

"well I can hear it, if thats what you mean"

Sorry think its a girlie thing, I can get too excited about stuff like that.

Now if we're talking about shoes........................... wow don't get me started.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:36 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
englishnurse! I would not do that to you my dear Yes they do exist,i also have a 60 inch Mitsubisi in my computer/music room.A friend of mine had a 84 inch TV. A 19inch or a 27 inch TV would look rather out of place in our living room,its 33ft X 24ft and the computer room is 20ft X 14ft

Aw, now you're just showing off