Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:47 pm
Perfumdiva1

Default Re: Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Shopping in US tip: Take sleeping bag, camping stove, long novel, portabel DVD player, drinks, snacks etc on shopping trip for that wait at the checkout line.

Where exactly do you shop, you poor boy,

Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Where exactly do you shop, you poor boy,

Gawd knows -- the one closest to chez-nous. And as infrequently as possible, i.e. emergencies such as when wife is away on business and I'm getting hungry.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Levi's.... my friend sent me a link a few years back. Her hubby only ever wears Levi jeans and where his wallet sits in his back pocket, the denim wore away. She had found out that Levi's will replace any wear and tear on their jeans, so she sent his back, they were about six years old, and they rapidly snet her a replacemnt pair
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:11 pm
Perfumdiva1

Gawd knows -- the one closest to chez-nous. And as infrequently as possible, i.e. emergencies such as when wife is away on business and I'm getting hungry.

For hunger pangs, and drive through lovliness, try Boston Market, their chicken noodle soup if FABBBB

Any if you have to queue, as we Brits love to do, it is in the comfort of your car

Perfection ...................

Beats Asda any day

Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

LL Beans with the 100% satisfaction jobby, it's pretty good, depending on what you get, if your honestly not satisfied with anything you buy from them, they'll either refund the cost or replace it with a current version...very handy if you get a hole in your tent or gloves for instance
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

For home electronics like computers, TVs, digicameras, etc. Circuit City regularly (I believe) has "5 hr special sales" on their website on Fridays. Not every Friday but the great thing about this is CC is one of the stores that offer "instore pickup" so you can pick up the ordered item, saving the delivery charge, if you can haul away your purchase.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For home electronics like computers, TVs, digicameras, etc. Circuit City regularly (I believe) has "5 hr special sales" on their website on Fridays. Not every Friday but the great thing about this is CC is one of the stores that offer "instore pickup" so you can pick up the ordered item, saving the delivery charge, if you can haul away your purchase.

NC Penguin

Before you go anywhere near CC, you need a t-shirt printed: "No! I don't want your freakin' insurance."

I know it's their bonus, so far be it for me to spoil it for them, but it gets a bit much sometimes.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go anywhere near CC, you need a t-shirt printed: "No! I don't want your freakin' insurance."

I know it's their bonus, so far be it for me to spoil it for them, but it gets a bit much sometimes.
I just say to the salesman or homeboy (as was the case during my last purchase at CC) that I don't want the additional warranty and I'm concerned that they'd be selling products that they don't have confidence to last. If the product is good, it doesn't need a warranty, does it?

CC is not alone trying to flog these additional warranties. Happens every time we buy items at Sears too, even an electric drill!

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:27 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I just say to the salesman or homeboy (as was the case during my last purchase at CC) that I don't want the additional warranty and I'm concerned that they'd be selling products that they don't have confidence to last. If the product is good, it doesn't need a warranty, does it?

CC is not alone trying to flog these additional warranties. Happens every time we buy items at Sears too, even an electric drill!

NC Penguin
I know I should say no but they still manage to get me. I bought a warranty on a Playstation handset at Best Buy before christmas!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Talking Re: Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I know I should say no but they still manage to get me. I bought a warranty on a Playstation handset at Best Buy before christmas!
I'm going to assume that you bought the Playstation for your kids. If that's the case, they might well have got bored with that before the warranty expires and want you to buy some other gizmo...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:30 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to assume that you bought the Playstation for your kids. If that's the case, they might well have got bored with that before the warranty expires and want you to buy some other gizmo...

NC Penguin
Worse than that it was just the controls not the actual Playstation! Thing will be lost before the warranty runs out as it's a remote set.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:10 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of this costco deal

I'm seriously considering buying a plasma tv and returning it in three years time
total cost = 3 years membership and lost interest from savings (f@ck all in the usa)
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

oh, if shopping online, do a google search for discount codes...i still always remember to late though
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
Good point :-), maybe I'll have to chance my allegiances, easily swayed aren't I??

Seriously though, I would love to shop at Costco (and return everything in 3 years time!), but are there specific criteria you need to meet (like in the UK?), or can anyone join as long as you pay the joining/membership fee?

Lottie
No criteria, just a membership fee and the savings I make on the meat alone covers the membership fee.

I prefer Costco to Sams but as the Sams is really close to me I tend to shop there more regularly.

As everyone else has said, limit the amount of cash you take with you, it's really hard to get swayed by "bargains" you don't actually need until you see them and then suddenly you don't know how you ever managed without whatever it is.

The very berry sundae on the way out is fab too!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Ah Costco, or as we call it in our house, the "$200 dollar store" because we always seem to end up paying this when we leave.
damn $268 tonight but bought enough beer to kill a small horse and a whole tuna in can form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.