Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Here's a couple of things I learned about shopping at Costco today (from a messageboard for my district - and I've plagiarised it!):

They mark down items on Mondays and Tuesdays. Marked down items have prices which end in a "7" like $19.97. These items are always sold below their cost. They're great buys.

Also, Costco warranty on all items = *forever*. If you're not satisfied because your ten year old LCD has a dead pixel (and you're a cheap bastard trying to take advantage) just whip out that receipt and take it back for a full credit.

You can buy a 42" plasma TV today for $2000, watch it for three years and take it back for a full refund - which will probably buy you two at that time!

There was a response (the thread was about the merits of Costco vs BJ's and Sam's Club) where the poster wrote: .....'last month I returned the $150 Eureka vacuum I bought there (Costco) six months ago, no receipt, and said "it clogs too much". They took it right back, no complaints. Of course I then spent the cash on the $500 Dyson, but that's another story...."

(Source: http://www.maplewoodonline.com - 'soapbox' forum.)

Why oh why have I thrown away receipts on stuff I bought there when we first moved to the States 4.5 years ago?! Six months with no receipt is probably pushing it, but I wouldn't take back stuff from a few years ago with no receipt! I've already had to chuck out a Eureka vacuum cleaner (it was really crappy) and a couple of irons...and our toaster oven is on the way out.

Just thought this info might be good in particular to newbies to the US.

Does anyone have any other little-known tips?

PS> I know that Costco also sells cars and tyres....but I doubt you could return them for a full refund LOL!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:50 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

THere's a 6 month limit on computers but that's great to. Not having to take it back to a technical dept store for them to try and fix. Costco just swap it out, even notebooks.

I don't abuse the Costco system but it's a great system. We are after all, members of the same club.

Ink Cartridges are much cheaper and pays for the membership by iteself alone.

The other tip. Take only enough cash to buy what you intend to buy. I need to use that tip myself as I always spend 4 times more than intended
Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:58 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

and remember that they don't take Visa.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:01 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Probably just as well

PD

Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

I posted this a while ago, but am more than happy to give the same advice again.

Sears will match 'any' price and will give you an additonal 10% of the difference between their price and the lower price. The 'any' price includes price matches for internet stores.

If we are looking to buy big home purchases, TV's, washing machines etc, we find what we want in Sears, go home, check the internet and then take the print-out to them showing the lowest price. Not sure how they make money on this, but they've got a customer for life (well as long as I'm in the US) in me from this.

We saved over a 1/3 on a plasma screen TV when we moved out here in August last year.

Lottie
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Anyone Got Any Shopping Tips to Share?

Originally Posted by Lottie
We saved over a 1/3 on a plasma screen TV when we moved out here in August last year.

Lottie
But will Sears take it back in three years time and give you a full refund LOL!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Good point :-), maybe I'll have to chance my allegiances, easily swayed aren't I??

Seriously though, I would love to shop at Costco (and return everything in 3 years time!), but are there specific criteria you need to meet (like in the UK?), or can anyone join as long as you pay the joining/membership fee?

Lottie
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Costco, or as we call it in our house, the "$200 dollar store" because we always seem to end up paying this when we leave.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon

They do take visa debit though - and Amex - which they don't in the UK!!

Its great out here - we use our UK card - prices are good, and the layout is the same as home - even the pizza and chicken bake is the same!

We always end up spending far more than intended too - and sadly its on my way home!!! Just too tempting!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Ah Costco, or as we call it in our house, the "$200 dollar store" because we always seem to end up paying this when we leave.

Bizzare spent $200 there Sunday ! - now have enough bog roll to last until 2007
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bugger...shame there ain't any of 'em stores in maine....sams' club ain't to bad...but wouldn't want to get anything to large over there though...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Bizzare spent $200 there Sunday ! - now have enough bog roll to last until 2007

and sweetcorn - no connection
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:45 pm
Perfumdiva1

In your opinions, is Costco better than Sam's Club, as my membership to Sam's has just expired, and there is a Costco not tooo far from where I live, even though Sam's is closer

I do like a bargain, being Scottish you know

Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Shopping in US tip: Take sleeping bag, camping stove, long novel, portabel DVD player, drinks, snacks etc on shopping trip for that wait at the checkout line.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:46 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Eskimo
and sweetcorn - no connection

Oh I dont know, my dog got some sweetcorn the other day, and blimey, we would have needed the unlimited supply of loo roll LOL

Eeewwwwwwwww

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.