Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Found a Pork Pie in the US?

Anyone Found a Pork Pie in the US?

Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone Found a Pork Pie in the US?

Just wondering if anyone's bought a pork pie (fresh) in the US? I miss them terribly and wondered if they're available anywhere fresh.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone Found a Pork Pie in the US?

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Just wondering if anyone's bought a pork pie (fresh) in the US? I miss them terribly and wondered if they're available anywhere fresh.

Not seen them, but heard them every day recently ( Well it is election year )
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Not seen them, but heard them every day recently ( Well it is election year )
Good one!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 8:31 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. You can get them in NYC
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by Ben
Yes. You can get them in NYC
They're obviously not imported from the UK (meat ban) so are they made in the US? Have you eaten any and if so, what do you think of the taste?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I have never seen a pork pie in a US supermarket-The primary reason for moving here!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Supergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Down in Georgia - no pork pies to be found here. Sorry.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:40 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

They're obviously not imported from the UK (meat ban) so are they made in the US? Have you eaten any and if so, what do you think of the taste?
Yes he makes them himself and they taste just like the real thing. The guy also makes his own sausages and meat pies too. You do pay more for them than you would back home if you were getting them from a supermarket, but I don't think they are anymore than if you went to a good butchers.

And for anyone living on LI, the shop in Port Jeff sells all the stuff from NYC too.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:09 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Pork pies? Then this is the place for you - Myers of Keswick in Greenwich Village. Run by Brits and the pies are bloody marvellous.

http://www.myersofkeswick.com/main.asp
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

BritSteve99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Camerons sell a type of pork pie, but to be honest, I was disappointed by them.

https://secure.emcchosting.com/~came...4&cat=3&page=1

They don't have the jelly stuff at the top, and the pastry is not the hard crust we are used to. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the FDA doesn't permit the addition of warm or hot ingredients to cooked pork, and the traditional British pork pie has the warm jelly added after the pie is cooked.

I can't find the link anymore, but there was a company here in the U.S. that was selling a pork pie making kit that circumvented the FDA rules by supplying the pork pie and the jelly stuff and you had to assemble the final product yourself.

Steve
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:32 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by elfman
Pork pies? Then this is the place for you - Myers of Keswick in Greenwich Village. Run by Brits and the pies are bloody marvellous.

http://www.myersofkeswick.com/main.asp
Myers is a couple of subway stops away from my office, and I'm so tempted to drop by and try one or two.

I was craving a gelatenous filled Newboulds Pork pie the other day. Or maybe a midgie pie or two!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by BritSteve99
Camerons sell a type of pork pie, but to be honest, I was disappointed by them.
A friend of mine has tried Camerons and she was disappointed by them (plus they were previously frozen).

<<snip>>

They don't have the jelly stuff at the top, and the pastry is not the hard crust we are used to. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the FDA doesn't permit the addition of warm or hot ingredients to cooked pork, and the traditional British pork pie has the warm jelly added after the pie is cooked.
<<snip>>

That same friend told me the story of how Williams (makers of pork products, British style) in Lumberton, NC tried to make pork pies but ran into the problems you describe above about putting gelatine into the cold pork pie. So, they don't make them. It wouldn't be the same without the gelatine, would it?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:31 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Someone (maybe Timeh? - what happened to him?) put up a recipe last year on how to make pork pies. I printed it and promptly lost it....someone who is more adept than I may be able to search the archives and find it.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:38 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Someone (maybe Timeh? - what happened to him?) put up a recipe last year on how to make pork pies. I printed it and promptly lost it....someone who is more adept than I may be able to search the archives and find it.

Try Recipe Source Do a search for "Pork Pie" there are several recipes.

It's a great site.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:42 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Another great "Brit" cooking site, nothing to do with Pork Pies, is Curry Recipes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.