British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone flown Atlanta-Gatwick on Delta recently? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-flown-atlanta-gatwick-delta-recently-701434/)

The Horticulturalist Jan 19th 2011 7:07 pm

Anyone flown Atlanta-Gatwick on Delta recently?

Planning to go back to Blighty for some proper tea and bacon sandwiches in May :)

When we flew here in early '08 with Delta out of Gatwick the outbound plane did not have seat back TV's, the return (ATL -LGW) did have them. Just wondering if anyone has flown this route recently and if they have upgraded the airplanes since then.

Ta muchly.

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Anyone flown Atlanta-Gatwick on Delta recently?

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 9113938)
When we flew here in early '08 with Delta out of Gatwick the outbound plane did not have seat back TV's, the return (ATL -LGW) did have them. Just wondering if anyone has flown this route recently and if they have upgraded the airplanes since then.

I don't think Delta still flies from Atlanta to London? We booked ATL-LHR in summer 08 and was routed via JFK because just that week, Atlanta stopped it's nonstop flights to London. Better check on that first.

Ian

The Horticulturalist Jan 19th 2011 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9113977)
I don't think Delta still flies from Atlanta to London? We booked ATL-LHR in summer 08 and was routed via JFK because just that week, Atlanta stopped it's nonstop flights to London. Better check on that first.

Ian

It does fly direct yes, I checked already. To both Gatwick and Heathrow I believe.

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 9114038)
It does fly direct yes, I checked already.

Good. I just realized that I made a mistake in my earlier post. We weren't flying to London... but to Edinburgh - and Delta no longer flies direct ATL-EDI... it was that flight that got routed through JFK. My bad! Apologies.

Ian

GeoffM Jan 19th 2011 8:19 pm

One flight a day to LGW and one or two flights a day to LHR - probably depending on the day of the week and/or season - all on B767 aircraft.

According to http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...nformation.php you want to be on a B767-400 (aka B764) to get a personal TV. If the schedule lists simply B767 then it may or may not be the -400 (probably not).

The Horticulturalist Jan 19th 2011 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9114101)
Good. I just realized that I made a mistake in my earlier post. We weren't flying to London... but to Edinburgh - and Delta no longer flies direct ATL-EDI... it was that flight that got routed through JFK. My bad! Apologies.

Ian

Ah! I wondered if that was what you were thinking, that would be a great connection from Atlanta, maybe they'll re-open it in the future.

Newfarnley Jan 19th 2011 8:55 pm

I flew Atlanta to Gatwick this last Christmas and the plane had the TV on the back of the seats. I always fly this route to UK - just don't like Heathrow. Will be visiting UK again in March when my daughter expects her third baby!

The Horticulturalist Jan 19th 2011 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Newfarnley (Post 9114259)
I flew Atlanta to Gatwick this last Christmas and the plane had the TV on the back of the seats. I always fly this route to UK - just don't like Heathrow. Will be visiting UK again in March when my daughter expects her third baby!

You flew with Delta?

Congrats on the soon to be grandbaby!:)

ian-mstm Jan 19th 2011 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 9114134)
Ah! I wondered if that was what you were thinking, that would be a great connection from Atlanta, maybe they'll re-open it in the future.

The flight from JFK-EDI had the seatback TVs, but our return flight from LHR-ATL did not. Okay... this time I got the flight segments correct! :) While we were there, we flew from EDI to LHR!

Ian

md95065 Jan 20th 2011 2:53 am

You can check on http://www.seatguru.com/ to see what features different airlines provide.

Newfarnley Jan 20th 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 9114308)
You flew with Delta?

Congrats on the soon to be grandbaby!:)

Yes, always with Delta - used to fly BA, but once got delayed by their disputes and BA don't fly into Gatwick anymore, so will never fly BA again!

MarylandNed Jan 20th 2011 11:50 am

I always bring a portable DVD player and headphones with me. They're inexpensive. I even have one each for any kids that go with me. A couple of good movies makes a long flight pass by quickly. Better still, a good book will make a flight seem like it never happened. I just finished reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - highly recommended!