Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever used MoneyGram?

Anyone ever used MoneyGram?

Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all
Default Anyone ever used MoneyGram?

I'm just back from a visit home to Northern Ireland and my mum had told me that the Post Office are now offering the MoneyGram international money transfer service. Has anyone on here used the service to send or receive money from the UK?
Thanks.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone ever used MoneyGram?

Yes, in fact I used it a couple of weeks ago. I'd never used it before - but apparently what they do is when someone in UK sends you money - they send it to a zip code in which there may be multiple moneygram providers (it's a red/black logo over here) The sender gives you a code - you go to the store/check cashing place and pick up the money gram phone - follow instructions - then you go see the store manager and they give you the money - i think it cost me about $20 and I'm not sure what it cost the sender

HTH

Dawn
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Thanks for the info Dawn. I didn't think you would have to pay anything to receive money but I know the person sending would have to pay a fee.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 8:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Why not use XE Trade...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

I've never used any of these services before. My mum just wants something simple to use. She doesn't use a computer, doesn't know how to, and she thinks the MoneyGram service would be easy her for to use.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:31 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to send money to her, or does she want to send money to you?

If it's the first, then you can use XE Trade to send it straight into her account and she doesn't even have to collect it from anywhere (assuming she has one).
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not use MoneyGram! The service is a complete rip off. Both sides were charged for the service, ie US and UK. The money we received in the end, after all the exchange rates and commissions was an absolute joke! I'm not lying, use something else!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choppi
I've never used any of these services before. My mum just wants something simple to use. She doesn't use a computer, doesn't know how to, and she thinks the MoneyGram service would be easy her for to use.
She does not actually need a computer. Once the accounts are set up at both ends, you can initiate the transfer in her name.

It is the easiest and cheapest means of transferring money - either from her to you or vice versa. Be sure to use BACS at the UK end and electronic transfer at the US end. That way there are zero charges.

Check the website, then give the guys at XE Trade a call and ask them to explain it all - they're very helpful.

If you do a search here, you'll find a bunch of satisfied customers. (And no, I don't work for them .)
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Elvira