Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

Originally Posted by Boiler
It was never designed to be sustainable, and the situation is getting worse.

It was a nasty fudge as will no doubt whatever Trump ends up with, I nearly said in mind, but not sure anything is in mind.
Getting somewhat off topic here but yeah, it's a real tough thing for Administrations to tackle. It'll be interesting to see what the Republicans replacement bill is, because Paul Ryan has been saying for months now that we'll be hearing details soon!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Getting somewhat off topic here but yeah, it's a real tough thing for Administrations to tackle. It'll be interesting to see what the Republicans replacement bill is, because Paul Ryan has been saying for months now that we'll be hearing details soon!
I have a feeling there is a now what do we do moment happening, too many vested interests.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling there is a now what do we do moment happening, too many vested interests.
Unfortunately it's just the American public who will suffer from it. I always said the problem with the Affordable Care Act was that they put too many mandates in it. So for instance, forcing people to have an ACA compliant plan or pay a tax penalty at the end of the year. The problem with that, of course, is that health insurance ended up being more expensive than the penalty - so less and less young people were getting coverage, and under the ACA guidelines health insurance providers had to cover everyone, regardless of pre existing conditions, so you had an uneven balance of sick people and healthy people - which drove the costs way up.

Rant over!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Unfortunately it's just the American public who will suffer from it. I always said the problem with the Affordable Care Act was that they put too many mandates in it. So for instance, forcing people to have an ACA compliant plan or pay a tax penalty at the end of the year. The problem with that, of course, is that health insurance ended up being more expensive than the penalty - so less and less young people were getting coverage, and under the ACA guidelines health insurance providers had to cover everyone, regardless of pre existing conditions, so you had an uneven balance of sick people and healthy people - which drove the costs way up.

Rant over!
If it was Affordable most people would buy it, no need for the penalties.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

If it was Affordable most people would buy it, no need for the penalties.
The reality is that whenever there's a profit making company running the insurance, prices will be pushed to the edge of affordability for lots of people (meaning it'll go beyond for some).

I don't have a problem with health insurance or profit making health insurance companies - indeed I had (and technically still have) private health insurance in the UK.

What I have a problem with is when a federal government requires people to carry the health insurance the companies that provide that insurance are profit making.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Moose
The reality is that whenever there's a profit making company running the insurance, prices will be pushed to the edge of affordability for lots of people (meaning it'll go beyond for some).

I don't have a problem with health insurance or profit making health insurance companies - indeed I had (and technically still have) private health insurance in the UK.

What I have a problem with is when a federal government requires people to carry the health insurance the companies that provide that insurance are profit making.
Pretty much my thoughts too - I too have private health insurance in the United Kingdom. I think there are three sets of people who must first be appeased before healthcare in the US can expand; the people, the government and the insurers. I'm not saying it's right that it is that way, but that's what must happen before significant change will be seen.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Pretty much my thoughts too - I too have private health insurance in the United Kingdom. I think there are three sets of people who must first be appeased before healthcare in the US can expand; the people, the government and the insurers. I'm not saying it's right that it is that way, but that's what must happen before significant change will be seen.
What About the providers, Hospitals, Pharmaceutical companies etc etc.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. So you think I should go ahead and try to submit an application on the exchange, as you said, to get an idea on cost? I assume you can't view the various health plans until after the application is submitted
With "CoverCalifornia" you can certainly look at the plans and costs without submitting an application.

(this is one of the better user friendly exchanges !)
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

What About the providers, Hospitals, Pharmaceutical companies etc etc.
The problem is health costs, insurance premiums a symptom not the real problem. No matter what program the Republicans come up with, without addressing outrageous costs the situation will remain a mess. Neither political party seems to have the courage to face the situation directly.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by morpeth
The problem is health costs, insurance premiums a symptom not the real problem. No matter what program the Republicans come up with, without addressing outrageous costs the situation will remain a mess. Neither political party seems to have the courage to face the situation directly.
They get a cut through lobbyists, why would they?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

They get a cut through lobbyists, why would they?
Perhaps term limits would help politicians be willing to be more courageous.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

Perhaps term limits would help politicians be willing to be more courageous.
Got a feeling that would not work.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Got a feeling that would not work.
Well the current system not working too well. Maybe if politicians in their last term didn't need to worry about re-election, they could be more bold and courageous.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the current system not working too well. Maybe if politicians in their last term didn't need to worry about re-election, they could be more bold and courageous.
I would have thought that a politician entering their last term would be more susceptible to pandering to a large corporation so that they can secure a job there once they leave.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I would have thought that a politician entering their last term would be more susceptible to pandering to a large corporation so that they can secure a job there once they leave.
Depends on their age. John McCain, for example, doesn't care about reelection or future employment so currently seems to be leading the anti-Trump Republican charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.