Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

So I'm moving over to the USA in May, and I signed up to healthcare.gov this morning - not because I plan on getting an Obamacare plan or anything, but merely wanted to use it as a comparison tool to check for coverage in my area - because currently IBX are the only ones who appear to offer coverage.

Anyways, it turns out that after I signed up, entered my personal information, including the state of PA, I couldn't proceed any further because to view the plans you have to send off an application form - which I can't do as I don't have an SSN right now or anything. My question is, does anyone else know of any health insurance comparison providers?

As an afterthought, man does the healthcare.gov website need a debugging phase or two!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone ever used healthcare.gov?

Does your soon-to-be spouse work and eligible for healthcare though that?

It'll almost definitely be cheaper than the marketplace.

For comparison I'd try googling your state plus healthcare marketplace and seeing what pops up.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Does your soon-to-be spouse work and eligible for healthcare though that?

It'll almost definitely be cheaper than the marketplace.
Right now she's still in college, but once she graduates she's looking to get into teaching - but for the time being, I'm just looking for my own coverage
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Right now she's still in college, but once she graduates she's looking to get into teaching - but for the time being, I'm just looking for my own coverage
OK just edited my post.

Try check your state's healthcare website. You might get more luck there.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tom169
OK just edited my post.

Try check your state's healthcare website. You might get more luck there.
Awesome, thank you for your response!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Google health care providers in (State) or go to the State's Insurance Commissioner page to find what providers operate in your state. Then you can normally get info and prices on their websites.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

It must vary from state to state because in Florida you don't need a SSN to buy coverage. Which state are you moving to?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Moose
It must vary from state to state because in Florida you don't need a SSN to buy coverage. Which state are you moving to?
Interesting! I'm moving to Pennsylvania!
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Interesting! I'm moving to Pennsylvania!
Good luck with the move!

(and yes, it needs a lot of debugging!!!)

Last edited by The Moose; Mar 3rd 2017 at 1:05 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:06 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter used it without any problems. Had to prove that she was here legally (copy of GC) that was all. It was still cheaper with slightly better coverage than adding her to my company insurance family plan.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to be resident in the State to buy through the Exchange, you do not need a SSN to buy Medical Insurance, just a thing that is normally used as most people have it. The Exchange will give you an idea on cost.

If you she gets cover through her College it is likely to be a better bet to add you to that.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have to be resident in the State to buy through the Exchange, you do not need a SSN to buy Medical Insurance, just a thing that is normally used as most people have it. The Exchange will give you an idea on cost.

If you she gets cover through her College it is likely to be a better bet to add you to that.
Thanks for this. So you think I should go ahead and try to submit an application on the exchange, as you said, to get an idea on cost? I assume you can't view the various health plans until after the application is submitted
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for this. So you think I should go ahead and try to submit an application on the exchange, as you said, to get an idea on cost? I assume you can't view the various health plans until after the application is submitted
No idea how it looks in the State you are looking at, I looked at the Colorado one some time back and you could get a quote by putting in the basics, address, age, gender and smoking.

The one thing I have noticed is that there are fewer and fewer options, yet again in Colorado there is no competition in large parts of the State, only one Insurer.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
No idea how it looks in the State you are looking at, I looked at the Colorado one some time back and you could get a quote by putting in the basics, address, age, gender and smoking.

The one thing I have noticed is that there are fewer and fewer options, yet again in Colorado there is no competition in large parts of the State, only one Insurer.
Right, that's pretty much how it is for my area of PA too - one insurer that has a complete monopoly over several counties. Makes you wonder how sustainable it all is long term
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Right, that's pretty much how it is for my area of PA too - one insurer that has a complete monopoly over several counties. Makes you wonder how sustainable it all is long term
It was never designed to be sustainable, and the situation is getting worse.

It was a nasty fudge as will no doubt whatever Trump ends up with, I nearly said in mind, but not sure anything is in mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.