Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

The engineering faculty and the university were horribly negligent in allowing that 'tradition' to continue.

Which engineering discipline are you in, monsieur Montreal? That does make a difference. A&M has one of the finest civil engineering programmes in the US.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

While doing my job as a delivery driver I've often been to Bryan/College Station. It definitely is a place I wouldn't want to live, even if my housing was free. Too republican for me, too conservative. And the student population doesn't change that fact, as opposed to Austin. UT here in Austin has changed the city into a democratic stronghold in a very republican state. A&M only reinforces CS' conservatism.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
While doing my job as a delivery driver I've often been to Bryan/College Station. It definitely is a place I wouldn't want to live, even if my housing was free. Too republican for me, too conservative. And the student population doesn't change that fact, as opposed to Austin. UT here in Austin has changed the city into a democratic stronghold in a very republican state. A&M only reinforces CS' conservatism.
Now quit turning this into an Texas A&M Aggies v Texas Longhorns post

(I'm an Aggie Mum-in-law )

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Feb 9th 2007 at 6:48 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:52 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

College Station/Bryan isn't a place I would choose to live if my wife wasn't at school here.
You don't always get to live where you want if a good education comes higher on your list of priorities. My wife finds out which internship (from 14 choices, in 14 different states) next month, they are not necessarily places we would normally choose to live in, all are places we are chosing to study in though.

If your looking to engulf yourself in higher education then the location isnt really all that important, you'll be too busy to see most of it (ceratinly in 3rd and 4th year anyway).

As for good schools, this may help:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/gra...rank_brief.php

Originally Posted by Toontje
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:55 pm

Shoudn't we be shouting "saw 'em off" and "gig 'em" right now?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Now quit turning this into an Texas A&M Aggies v Texas Longhorns post

(I'm an Aggie Mum-in-law )
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Duh, read post further....

for electrical engineering both at the undergrad and grad level, UT's programmes are better.

Yes TD I know that you go where you're accepted and try for the best school you can gain admission to. I totally understand your wife's going there.... it has one of THE best vet programmes and other programmes (like horticulture) that I would really enjoy.

montreal asked what it was like to live there, and that was the question I answered. sugarmooma, no worries about a UT/A&M war.... I have big problems with the fact that the Corps of Cadets (read; marching band at football games as well) didn't allow women to join until fairly recently and I think the place is sexist as hell, but as far as the quality of some of the academic offerings I freely admit that it's THE place to go for some programmes.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:07 pm

Austin is a beautiful city, I have only visited a couple of times, but really enjoyed it. Austin is apparently good if you like lots of herbal tobacco, or so some the kids at work here say
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:16 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

didnt apply to austin. maybe i can transfer there after a semester. the only place ive been to in texas was houston.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:19 pm

I dislike Houston, to the point of almost hating it. Its ugly.
Houstons best points - the roads out of it!

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
didnt apply to austin. maybe i can transfer there after a semester. the only place ive been to in texas was houston.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

It's full of aggies avoid

Maybe biased from a longhorn lol
Old Feb 9th 2007, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I dislike Houston, to the point of almost hating it. Its ugly.
Houstons best points - the roads out of it!

100% correct