Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:21 am
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of
Default anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

If so, how is it there?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone ever been to College Station, Texas???

Originally Posted by moving2montreal View Post
If so, how is it there?
Hi there, never been to College Station but have lots of friends that have and they all rave about it! I could maybe get some of them to give me some more info on the place if you like!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:26 am
Just Joined

_Bel_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I just happened to find my way to this forum while looking for immigration information for my BF to come to the US from England...anyway, I live near College Station and my son is about to move there to go to university. It is a college town all the way. Students everywhere! It has plenty of charm (in the Texas small town kind of way) and not too far from the big city of Houston if you need a fix of big city stuff and not far from the most interesting city in Texas, Austin. (Music city USA..more great live music than anywhere!) The people are very friendly and it has a very upbeat atmosphere.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by _Bel_; Feb 9th 2007 at 12:38 pm. Reason: My spelling!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Its a university town - party hard - some cool bars etc. Are you planning a trip?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:09 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

just been accepted into TAMU for electrical engineering. it has a really good program, but ive never been there. i had been also accepted into a no-name university in montreal, but i deffered until i heard from the american universities i applied to. as far as i know, TAMU is a top school.

Last edited by moving2montreal; Feb 9th 2007 at 1:11 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:57 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

just been accepted into TAMU for electrical engineering. it has a really good program, but ive never been there. i had been also accepted into a no-name university in montreal, but i deffered until i heard from the american universities i applied to. as far as i know, TAMU is a top school.

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh, you're going to be an Aggie!!!

College Station is a great place and not too far from the Hill Country (Austin and San Antonio) or Houston. Be prepared though it gets hot and humid around here.........
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:00 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to live in College Station, but have a small place 4 miles outside it now. The wife is in her final year at Texas A&M University (in College Station).
I'll be shooting pool in The Chicken on NorthGate (A small strip of bars in College Station) after work tonight.

A&M is a fantatsic school, steeped in traditions, lots and lots of traditions.

What do you need to know?

If so, how is it there?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Bel_ View Post
Hi! I just happened to find my way to this forum while looking for immigration information for my BF to come to the US from England...
Welcome to BE then

And marry him, it's the easiest solution
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:51 pm

http://www.cstx.gov/home/index.asp

Wolf Pen Arena has some great concerts in the summer (free too!)
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

_Bel_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Welcome to BE then

And marry him, it's the easiest solution
Thanks! And not to hijack moving2montreal's thread but we are planning to marry! Just trying to figure out K1 or K3 and all points in between! Thanks again for the welcome!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave View Post
I used to live in College Station, but have a small place 4 miles outside it now. The wife is in her final year at Texas A&M University (in College Station).
I'll be shooting pool in The Chicken on NorthGate (A small strip of bars in College Station) after work tonight.

A&M is a fantatsic school, steeped in traditions, lots and lots of traditions.

What do you need to know?
well, anything you want to tell me. how are the people, are there nice places to eat, is it expensive to live, how hot does it get there, TAMUs reputation as an engineering school, anythign else interesting you can think of.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:50 pm

The wife's at vet school, so I don't know much about the engineering school.
It gets hot in the summer, its not un usual to be in the early 80's and 90's even after 6pm. Which is great if your at work and want to enjoy the evening.
The people are friendly, this is common all over Texas (to generalize).
A&M has some great traditions, but can appear a little too extreme to outsiders (it did to me anyway). Its a great deal to be an aggie, and everyone is immensly proud of that. Not being an aggie myself, it was a little intense for my liking.
Eating out is inexpensive, mainly due to the high number of students (around 50,000). We have found just 3 very nice places to eat, the rest being cookie cutter type establishments or family run places catering to students.
Accomodation is affordable, with little price difference between a typical student home or a nicer family home. My wife rented a very small detached house (just four small rooms), close to campus (within walking distance) on 1/3 acre for $550 a month. When we married we moved to a large 3 bed, 2 bath detached home on 2/3 acre, close to one of the many golf courses. It has a big double garage, a leafy winding drive, and plenty of privacy. It is on a small cul-de-sac of just 11 homes. Mainly owned older familes (our home is one of only two rentals on that road). This is just $895 a month. We are 5 minutes drive to the vet school, so it suits us well. Whole areas are often student rentals, but keep clear of these if you want the quiet life. We move out in June and our home will become vacant.
Our home was actually for sale, we called the realtor and said we wanted to rent it for 18 months and was the owner interested. The result was not your typical rental home (trashed by previous owners) - this idea is certainly worth considering.

The utility companies are monopolized, as is cable TV. This means slightly higher prices than living in a bigger city like Dallas, Austin or Houston.

College Station is served by Highway 6. Austin is 1.5 hours away, Houston 1 hour away, Dallas 3 hours away. College Station has its own airport (easterwood) with daily frequent flights to Dallas
http://www.tamu.edu/easterwoodairport/
This airport is great to use for flights back to the UK. You check-in with just 60 or so others. No long lines! You can park 100yds from the main door.

The local newspaper is The Eagle, and the local TV station is KBTX. Both or these may offer an insight in to life in the College Station/Bryan area.

http://www.theeagle.com/
http://www.kbtx.com/

well, anything you want to tell me. how are the people, are there nice places to eat, is it expensive to live, how hot does it get there, TAMUs reputation as an engineering school, anythign else interesting you can think of.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

People: ultraconservative. Everyone goes to church, the men are sexist as hell, and if you don't like high-fat meals and country music you are in trouble.

TAMU is a decent engineering school but if I were you I'd desperately try to get into UT-Austin.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave View Post
A&M has some great traditions, but can appear a little too extreme to outsiders (it did to me anyway). Its a great deal to be an aggie, and everyone is immensly proud of that. Not being an aggie myself, it was a little intense for my liking.
Yeah, like the bonfire from hell that collapsed and killed what, 20 students?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:29 pm

They still have some nice traditions. 'Silver taps' is extremely moving.
Mrs TD lost a fellow student last year, so we attended Silver Taps. Not a dry eye to be seen.

http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/timeline.shtml

Last edited by Pony; Feb 9th 2007 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.