Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else read this?

Anyone else read this?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone else read this?

I saw the link here on Britishexpats and took a look, didn't read it all cos it irritated the hell out of me, but some bits were funny.
Read if you are interested in an American's view of the UK - don't read if you are very patriotic and easlily irritated - like me! LOl

http://www.reluctantanglophile.com/
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:34 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else read this?

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
I saw the link here on Britishexpats and took a look, didn't read it all cos it irritated the hell out of me, but some bits were funny.
Read if you are interested in an American's view of the UK - don't read if you are very patriotic and easlily irritated - like me! LOl

Thanks for the link - I found it hilarious, especially the entry for Wednesday, November 02, 2005, A Contradiction in Terms. Some of these, I have to agree with, such as not being able to defend yourself if burglarized, although I would draw the line at having guns just for the purpose.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:22 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Got to admit though, a good looking and well presented blog!!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robskatie
Got to admit though, a good looking and well presented blog!!!
Typically American then...All show and flash and no quality content whatsoever.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:01 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, and I thought that we moaned about our adopted country on here. Makes you wonder why she's still in the UK.
Its a bit rich that she complains about public traansport and she seems to be paying $500 for her tv license - looks like someone has her figured for being one of those "dumb americans"
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I was interested in her comment on how hard it was (for her friend) to go through the UK citizenship process. Is it any harder in the UK than in the US?

I always had the impression that immigration/residence/citizenship was harder in the US (unless you have a "get out of jail free" card, e.g., marriage/family ties).
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was interested in her comment on how hard it was (for her friend) to go through the UK citizenship process. Is it any harder in the UK than in the US?

I always had the impression that immigration/residence/citizenship was harder in the US (unless you have a "get out of jail free" card, e.g., marriage/family ties).
I find that hard to believe too. Although, even though I'm married, it's still been a long, hard, expensive journey for us, many a time I've just wanted to bugger off back home!!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 3:10 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone spot this gem:

"Despite being an insanely private society when it comes to money, homes, jobs and almost any mundane detail about their lives, the British have no problem opening up to perfect strangers on other more 'colorful' topics...For instance last Friday night at a pub I was privy to having a young man, possibly in a misguided attempt at flirting, tell me and a friend about his colonic earlier that day."

She clearly hasn't figured out British pi$$-taking yet!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:39 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Did anyone spot this gem:

"Despite being an insanely private society when it comes to money, homes, jobs and almost any mundane detail about their lives, the British have no problem opening up to perfect strangers on other more 'colorful' topics...For instance last Friday night at a pub I was privy to having a young man, possibly in a misguided attempt at flirting, tell me and a friend about his colonic earlier that day."

She clearly hasn't figured out British pi$$-taking yet!
and how can she be so critical of the tube, when the New York subway is infinitely worse - at least in the tube you have computerised signs telling you when the next train is coming (in NY it can be difficult to know if you're standing on the right platform); and you have an easy to read map; and you can get from one side of town to the other without having to go uptown on one train to then get another one to take you downtown again.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else notive that this silly tart complained about paying for sewage?

is london the only place she has been apart from new york?

I know in nashville and knoxville you pay for 'taking away waste water'

another candidate for needing a helmet before leaving the house
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I was taking it all with a pinch of salt until the stupid bitch started knocking the East End. For her information, the "Angel" tube station is not in the East End. It's in f**king Islington...NORTH LONDON. Furthermore, her walk from the "Angel" tube to "City University" would take her through "EC1", which is "The City" of London and still NOT the East End.

"The City" is a beautiful, magical place especially at night. No thronging crowds and full of beautiful historic buildings of classic architecture (with the exception of The Lloyds building.."A huge monstrous carbuncle on the face of a dear old friend"..as Prince Charles rightly said"). Infact I would bet my entire wealth that this stupid bitch didn't even know that virtually every traditional wedding cake made in the western world is based from the design of one tiny little back street church in the City of London, designed by Sir Christopher Wren. Ironically enough, the church in question is called St. Bride's.

As for a tube station called "Icksworth" (??) Does anyone suppose that the silly tart is refering to "Ickenham"? Which is actually a dull suburb in f**king Middlesex. Oh yes, regular little utopia is "Ickenham".

Just the self important ramblings of another American with a crap sense of tradition, history and geography and importantly, a complete stereotypical lack of understanding another culture.

Pics: 1 & 2 The nirvana of Ickenham
3 St. Bride's in the City of London
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else read this?-ickenham.jpg   Anyone else read this?-ickenham-2.jpg   Anyone else read this?-st__bride_s_church__wedding_cake_inspiration_.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:05 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

it's always funny when an unimaginative freelance writer feels the need to blog as if they are the first to notice the differences between the UK and US. How creative...
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:49 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

The main thing that gets me is, she had previously lived in UK before so she presumably hated it back then - so why oh why go back?? - perhaps rather than channelling her energy into complaining about it on the net she should focus on going home!!

Sounds like she has already picked up 1 british habit she doesnt realise - moaning about something and not doing anything about it lol - i couldnt resist sending her an email to let her know this!!

Ant
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

So what? She's bitching about what she perceives, which is her right.

We'll just keep on bitching about what we perceive is wacky over here
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by izibear
So what? She's bitching about what she perceives, which is her right.

We'll just keep on bitching about what we perceive is wacky over here
She perceives Islington and EC1 as the East End. She perceives Ickworth as Ickenham, and also perceives it as being nice even though she's never even been there.

So it seems her right is to be wrong.

I like to think that even though we rip the piss out of things American on BE, we are at least somewhat factual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.