British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone else live in or near Sebastian, Florida? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-else-live-near-sebastian-florida-433731/)

gazza64 Mar 10th 2007 8:31 pm

Anyone else live in or near Sebastian, Florida?

Hi Everyone,

I`ve been living in Sebastian FL with my USC wife for about 3mths now. Came over on the VWP, while having an CR-1 visa pending, and now can`t face leaving her again, so we`re attempting to do a AOS for me. Lawyers say we have a good chance of success.

I like Sebastian, it`s got the best of both worlds i suppose, kind of quiet(ish), but not too far from malls, cinemas, Disney, KSC etc etc. Anyway, it would be great to hear other Brits living in this part of Florida. Anyone go to the "Pig and Whistle" pub?

Regards,

Gaz

TruBrit Mar 10th 2007 8:36 pm

Re: Anyone else live in or near Sebastian, Florida?

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 4505410)
Hi Everyone,

I`ve been living in Sebastian FL with my USC wife for about 3mths now. Came over on the VWP, while having an CR-1 visa pending, and now can`t face leaving her again, so we`re attempting to do a AOS for me. Lawyers say we have a good chance of success.

I like Sebastian, it`s got the best of both worlds i suppose, kind of quiet(ish), but not too far from malls, cinemas, Disney, KSC etc etc. Anyway, it would be great to hear other Brits living in this part of Florida. Anyone go to the "Pig and Whistle" pub?

Regards,

Gaz

hiya gaz, lots of brits in florida...check out http://www.frappr.com/beusa :)

Jerseygirl Mar 10th 2007 10:00 pm

Over to you Ray....

Ray Mar 11th 2007 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4505597)
Over to you Ray....

Sebastian is the East coast ..long way away ...

Bob Mar 11th 2007 4:25 am

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 4505410)

pillock....getting the CR1 is a lot quicker and cheaper than bollocking around AOS'ing and farting around waiting for the EAD, issues with travelling and then getting greencard yonks down the line....but your lawyer is right, it ain't hard doing it this way, but if you've already got the CR1 in the works, might as well see it through, plus your lawyer will get more mileage out of you this way.

Ray Mar 11th 2007 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4506051)
pillock....getting the CR1 is a lot quicker and cheaper than bollocking around AOS'ing and farting around waiting for the EAD, issues with travelling and then getting greencard yonks down the line....but your lawyer is right, it ain't hard doing it this way, but if you've already got the CR1 in the works, might as well see it through, plus your lawyer will get more mileage out of you this way.

Its love Bob...........

Bob Mar 11th 2007 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4506063)
Its love Bob...........

and it'll wait and still be there...

gazza64 Mar 11th 2007 6:36 pm

Bob,

What is your problem? Calling me a "pillock". Just because i can`t stand to parted from my wife again. Yes, the CR1 visa is almost completed, after all the heartache of numerous goodbyes to each other at airports, plus the financial hardship for her if i go back to the UK. Now do understand?

I came on this site looking for other expats to chat with, not exchange insults with.

Live long and prosper.

Gaz

Ray Mar 11th 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 4507458)
Bob,

What is your problem? Calling me a "pillock". Just because i can`t stand to parted from my wife again. Yes, the CR1 visa is almost completed, after all the heartache of numerous goodbyes to each other at airports, plus the financial hardship for her if i go back to the UK. Now do understand?

I came on this site looking for other expats to chat with, not exchange insults with. Live long and prosper.Gaz

Why is it a financial hardship for her .... if you return one less to feed ...

gazza64 Mar 11th 2007 6:56 pm

Ray,

My wife and i have a 8 yr old daughter. I`m currently at home most days looking after her. As we have no relatives closeby to look after, and also my wife works shift work, if i went back to the UK we would have to hire a nanny/au pair to look after her, which isn`t cheap. We got a quote for between $250 - 300 per week.

Also, we would just miss each other too much if i went back. The CR1 visa has taken almost 1 yr already, we had a K3 visa pending as well, until the USCIS totally screwed up our application. IE losing documents, sending them to the wrong address etc etc.

Regards,

Gaz

Ray Mar 11th 2007 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 4507501)
Ray,
My wife and i have a 8 yr old daughter. I`m currently at home most days looking after her. As we have no relatives closeby to look after, and also my wife works shift work, if i went back to the UK we would have to hire a nanny/au pair to look after her, which isn`t cheap. We got a quote for between $250 - 300 per week.
Also, we would just miss each other too much if i went back. The CR1 visa has taken almost 1 yr already, we had a K3 visa pending as well, until the USCIS totally screwed up our application. IE losing documents, sending them to the wrong address etc etc.
Regards,Gaz

So you came over with the intent of immigrating on a visa waiver
Good luck ..that may be an illegal entry .... your AOS could be refused ...
make sure you see a competent lawyer imnmediately .. Saying you have a good chance ..it not good enough ..

Sorry Bob got it right .....

gazza64 Mar 11th 2007 7:24 pm

Ray,

No, i didn`t any intent to stay when i came over here in December. We didn`t even know we could do that until i got here. My intention was just to come here for a visit at Xmas, then go back to my job etc and wait for the CR1.

We have consulted with immigration lawyers and they have gone through our case and their opinion is that we have a good chance of being approved. Yes, we`re realistic enough to know we could be denied, but everything about the US immigration process is a risk, for anyone.

Gaz

Bob Mar 11th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 4507458)
Bob,

I came on this site looking for other expats to chat with, not exchange insults with.

Live long and prosper.

Gaz

If finances are an issue, then surely finishing the CR-1 is the better cause for action, you won't have wasted the immigration fee's, you won't need a lawyer, and while you wait in the UK you can continue to work, and when you come back here, you'll be able to work straight off the bat with a greencard, rather than have to hang around for 3 odd months waiting for your EAD.

And there's plenty that have been in that situation, you'll be in a better situation sucking it up and finishing off the CR 1 than having all the rubbish involved in AOS'ing.

Bob Mar 11th 2007 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 4507586)
We have consulted with immigration lawyers and they have gone through our case and their opinion is that we have a good chance of being approved. Yes, we`re realistic enough to know we could be denied, but everything about the US immigration process is a risk, for anyone.

but you can reduce those risks and costs involved can't you...and working in the UK, you could send over the money easily, be better than not being able to work here for months on end, have potential for an AOS denial and then even more costs and time apart, as you won't have any ground for an appeal when entering on the VWP, and if you have to head back to blighty for whatever reason, it's not a good idea even if you got AP until you've got your greencard, so if say a parent got sick and died, you'd be in a real pickle.