Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else jobhunting?

Anyone else jobhunting?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else jobhunting?

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Finally had a glimmer of hope today, a call back!!

Let's see if it goes anywhere.
nice one!

same here...well not a call back, but a art test...it's a monster though, 40-50 odd hours of work I recon...hmmm...it might take me a while to get it back to them
Old Jun 27th 2009, 12:48 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

An update from me.

I'm waiting to hear back about two jobs that I've had interviews for. The first is on the compliance team at a bank. It's a junior position, paying $30-odd K, but they do like to promote from within. The second is with a multinational energy company. It's an even more junior position, hourly at $10, 50 hour weeks, shift work etc, but the interviewer made much of the career progression opportunities. It's also 2 gallons of gas a day closer.

I think it's time to do two things, next week. First, I should telephone all the employers I've applied to and not heard back. Second, I should probably send my resume, on spec, to a bunch of local employers, and see if any bite.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chartreuse
An update from me.

I'm waiting to hear back about two jobs that I've had interviews for. The first is on the compliance team at a bank. It's a junior position, paying $30-odd K, but they do like to promote from within.
Sounds like the position I have been offered - working for JP Morgan Chase on about the same money, it is a long-term temp job but have been told that I can apply internally after being there 4 months. I start on Monday - after 6 weeks of job hunting. I am hoping to get my foot in the door and prove I can do more than a low level job Hope you get confirmation on something soon.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Toonyank
Sounds like the position I have been offered - working for JP Morgan Chase on about the same money, it is a long-term temp job but have been told that I can apply internally after being there 4 months. I start on Monday - after 6 weeks of job hunting. I am hoping to get my foot in the door and prove I can do more than a low level job Hope you get confirmation on something soon.
Yay! Congrats on finding a job!

Exactly - foot in the door is pretty much the only game in town (this town, anyway). If we'd gone to DC or NYC, I could prob have got something more senior, on the back of my work in the UK, but it's a different game out here.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

Thanks Arizona is quite low paid, I am comparing it to California, and there is no comparison on the salaries. Of course houses are a lot cheaper than Cal. Yes, I am happy to have a job, easier to find work when you are in a job than the other way around. Just have to work my way up agin. Good luck to you, hope you get something soon! Job market is pretty bad.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:47 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Yay, finally got a job.

In relocation of all things.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 11:01 pm

Yay, finally got a job.

Hooray!

Nothing from my two interviews so far, but I've got another interview on Monday.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yay, finally got a job.

nice one!

Didn't have to relocate for it?
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay, finally got a job.

Was the offer good or did they lowball you taking into account the economy?

I am curious, as think I am going to have to pull myself out of my life as a housewife to get a job in the next few months. Can't say that I am keen to do so, however it would certainly help financially if I was bringing something in.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:43 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Good offer!