Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else jobhunting?

Anyone else jobhunting?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone else jobhunting?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
How about any of the positions on post, not just the GS, but the other ones?
Just waiting until the summer break is over then i will get back out there and start again. The only thing is, i am experienced in running a bridal shop,that was what i done back in the UK, not much demand for it here though everyone goes to the justice of the peace.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Right, Shazza.
What _I_ did for the last six years, was running a Bed&Breakfast. My pay there was room & board, and $$$ came from tips, and me painting around town, and fixing computers on the side. That was plenty to maintain myself, but it doesn't provide income enough to provide for me AND the wife. Anyway we had to move out of there, because there wasn't enough room for me, her, and her cats. So even that is gone. And so are, well effing whoops, all the connections I had in that town, surprise! So I'm looking for any kind of work in any town close by, and preferably in Austin or the vicinity thereof, even though it's not really close. But we're also fed up with life in this hamlet of 1,100 people in rural east Texas.
We want sidewalks! Parks! Walkable downtown! More job opportunities! Less of that "you aren't born here, you're not going to our church, you didn't go to high school with us = we're not gonna have anything to do with y'all, but we'll be friendly about it" bullsh¡t. People that don't just sit around waiting to die. 2009 instead of 1909! Cellphones that work. Reliable internet connections.

Last edited by Kar98; Jun 16th 2009 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kar98
Right, Shazza.
What _I_ did for the last six years, was running a Bed&Breakfast. My pay there was room & board, and $$$ came from tips, and me painting around town, and fixing computers on the side. That was plenty to maintain myself, but it doesn't provide income enough to provide for me AND the wife. Anyway we had to move out of there, because there wasn't enough room for me, her, and her cats. So even that is gone. And so are, well effing whoops, all the connections I had in that town, surprise! So I'm looking for any kind of work in any town close by, and preferably in Austin or the vicinity thereof, even though it's not really close. But we're also fed up with life in this hamlet of 1,100 people in rural east Texas.
We want sidewalks! Parks! Walkable downtown! More job opportunities! Less of that "you aren't born here, you're not going to our church, you didn't go to high school with us = we're not gonna have anything to do with y'all, but we'll be friendly about it" bullsh¡t. People that don't just sit around waiting to die. 2009 instead of 1909! Cellphones that work. Reliable internet connections.
It sounds as though where you live is simialr to Killeen,although i haven't come across any negativity towards me being here, quite the opposite really. I do agree with you though,all the decent jobs are probably in the big cities. Until the time comes where we are out of this place then i suppose more opportunities will come my way, i the meantime i will have to suffice in working in the run of the mill shops.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Manc and Pat Hassler, Toon was for a bit, on the management side now I think though.
There is only one 'S' in Hasler thank you
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Well, it's NOT negativity, but deceptive friendliness, that's the part that's starting to anger me. It's "Ooooh, you're from Germany! And your wife from New York? How wonderful! Yay!" - But then... I have been invited into other people's home exactly zero times in six years if we don't count business reasons, like fixing somebody's computer or painting their bedroom.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
STEER WELL CLEAR!!!!!!

They basically twist your arm into leasing the truck from then under the pretence that they'll give you so many miles and so much money that it looks a great deal. In truth its a crap deal and you'll end up having to work for basically nothing because your tied to leasing a piece of shit truck from them and totally at their mercy.

Do a search of truck driver forum on CR ENgland and you'll see what I mean.

If you go driving get a job as a driver not an owner driver.

Learn the ropes before you get greased up and shafted.
Well said .... OP

The bloke should actually apply to Swift or JB Hunt (yes I am serious).
Both those copmpanies will train him and not rip him off as C R England would.

Shame he doesnt have 2 years experience cos my company wants drivers in Chicago.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dan725
Hehehe Note I said "Majority"....

Just my own personal observations......my warped interest in the subject stems from way back in my A-Level days, when a bunch of us used to work summer jobs at a local farm unloading grain lorries. The plum job on that whole deal was to man the weigh bridge. To alleviate general boredom, we used to take great joy in seeing what some of the drivers weighed when they got out of the wagon ....used to have bets and all sorts, fun times.

Since I've been here, I just have not noticed it to be the case as much.....but again just my observations, and complete unfactual, unproven bollox, but I'll keep my eyes out.....
I slim as you put it ... but travelling around the country I notice that the vast majority of drivers here are in fact Fat scruffy slobs and I often wonder how they get behind the wheel.
As for the Uk I see drivers there that seem mostly fit and normal build, there are as always some fat bastards as in every occupation ... but a bigger percentage of huge fat gits drive trucks here

My Old mate Optimus is a prime example of what fit anf normal driver should look like. (apart from the ugly face)

Last edited by Patrick Hasler; Jun 16th 2009 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, it's NOT negativity, but deceptive friendliness, that's the part that's starting to anger me. It's "Ooooh, you're from Germany! And your wife from New York? How wonderful! Yay!" - But then... I have been invited into other people's home exactly zero times in six years if we don't count business reasons, like fixing somebody's computer or painting their bedroom.
Looks like you need a new circle of friends. For me and my husband we enjoy each others company, many people call us old boring farts but we just brush it off. All people are different, some like a big circle of people around them others don't, it's just a matter of finding those people who have the same things in common as you and your wife.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:58 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Optimus. That was helpful.

Meanwhile, I'm getting kinda bummed out too here, re/job hunt.
I completed a metric shit ton of online apps, BestBuy I thought would have been a ****ing shoe-in, but no....

Craig's list? Yeah, that's pretty much worthless. Yesterday I stopped at a pottery factory and applied there too.

Who would have thought popping into legal existence after 9 years of presence in the US would be a problem?
I'm an expert painter, I can build computers from scratch or fix them for you, or tell you how to fix them. I ran a B&B for six years. I can build you a web site and push it to #1 in Google. I _can_ move furniture, but not king sized mattresses 7 days a week, not by myself that is.

Rant over.
Why don't you build yourself a couple of websites and push to #1 on Google - fit them up with Adsense and some banners and sit back?

This guy here http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/ posts a bit of a blog about living in his RV, he seems like he is a bit nuts, and yet gets enough traffic to generate $1,000 pcm from Adsense. I'm sure if you can come up with sufficient content and are able to produce a # 1 Google search then you could pull in more than that.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:25 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Well said .... OP

The bloke should actually apply to Swift or JB Hunt (yes I am serious).
Both those copmpanies will train him and not rip him off as C R England would.

Shame he doesnt have 2 years experience cos my company wants drivers in Chicago.
Thank you

Yours sincerely

The Bloke
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Why don't you build yourself a couple of websites and push to #1 on Google - fit them up with Adsense and some banners and sit back?

This guy here http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/ posts a bit of a blog about living in his RV, he seems like he is a bit nuts, and yet gets enough traffic to generate $1,000 pcm from Adsense. I'm sure if you can come up with sufficient content and are able to produce a # 1 Google search then you could pull in more than that.
Pennies per click if your lucky...gonna need a big cult following...adsense should be looked on as bonus pocket money rather than a salary as the reality of it, it won't happen.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:40 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Pennies per click if your lucky...gonna need a big cult following...adsense should be looked on as bonus pocket money rather than a salary as the reality of it, it won't happen.
That's what I thought, but the link I posted goes to a guy writing about his RV travels. If you type "RV Travels" into Google you do not get his website on the first or second pages and yet he still get around $1,000 pcm from PPC (he publishes his monthly accounts on his website).

I was assuming that if you were #1 on Google (as the poster said he could get) you could expect to get 10 times the traffic of someone who does not even appear in the first 2 pages -giving you the potential for a lot more clicks and corresponding income.

I wonder what BE's income is from the Adsense?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, the sites I've got to first position are deriving their income from the business that's advertised on them, out in the real world, not in cyberspace.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
That's what I thought, but the link I posted goes to a guy writing about his RV travels. If you type "RV Travels" into Google you do not get his website on the first or second pages and yet he still get around $1,000 pcm from PPC (he publishes his monthly accounts on his website).
It's still a rarity that a site will make money for being a site without offering a service or commodity for sale.

Tower defence guy makes $20K a month from ads, but how many million flash games are out there making bupkiss? Millions.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:41 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Finally had a glimmer of hope today, a call back!!

Let's see if it goes anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.