Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone from the Detroit Burbs?

Anyone from the Detroit Burbs?

Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Nanna Moon will become famous soon enoughNanna Moon will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone from the Detroit Burbs?

Hi, new to all of this - but this sites a big help!

Moving over to Michigan around late September time (hopefully with girlfriend in tow...darn visa's!)... Just wondering if there's anyone here from the Detroit burbs?

We're looking at living around Troy / Birmingham region - or somewhere nice, lively and preferably safe. Would love to hear from anyone around that way that's willing to share their experiences (what's it's like, people, social / nightlife etc)... it's hard preparing yourself when your stuck in Coventry with nothing but an internet connection for reassurance, lol.

Also, we've been looking at these communal housing / apartment complexes - what are they really like to live in? Anyone living in one now?

Thanks in advance,

Leon
Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from the Detroit Burbs?

Hey Leon.
I live in MI, about 4 hours from Detroit, but have plenty of experience of the place as my wife is from there and we go alot.

Sterling Heights / Warren / Roseville are I think some of the nicer areas to live.

Downtown is dead during an evening and I wouldn't advocate it at all, unless your going to watch a game or see a show.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Nanna Moon will become famous soon enoughNanna Moon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Manc
Hey Leon.
I live in MI, about 4 hours from Detroit, but have plenty of experience of the place as my wife is from there and we go alot.

Sterling Heights / Warren / Roseville are I think some of the nicer areas to live.

Downtown is dead during an evening and I wouldn't advocate it at all, unless your going to watch a game or see a show.

Hiya Manc, good to hear from you - had read some of your previous posts whilst search for 'Detroit' threads.

Starting to get the general impression that downtown's pretty much a no go area! Sounds bloody scary hearing that when your off to live there having had no real experience of the place (bar an overnight stop / job interview).

Good to hear that Warren / Sterling area's not too bad to head to... our location choice is still pretty open + the jobs in Warren.

Just out of curiosity: Can you guys pick up any British TV channels out there? Not for me... the girlfriends an avid fan of Channel 4 (Big Bro' as so on!)... but BBC would be great.

Cheers Manc, good to meet you.

Leon
Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nanna Moon
Hiya Manc, good to hear from you - had read some of your previous posts whilst search for 'Detroit' threads.

Starting to get the general impression that downtown's pretty much a no go area! Sounds bloody scary hearing that when your off to live there having had no real experience of the place (bar an overnight stop / job interview).

Good to hear that Warren / Sterling area's not too bad to head to... our location choice is still pretty open + the jobs in Warren.

Just out of curiosity: Can you guys pick up any British TV channels out there? Not for me... the girlfriends an avid fan of Channel 4 (Big Bro' as so on!)... but BBC would be great.

Cheers Manc, good to meet you.

Leon
Not really, however in Detroit, you can probably pick up some PBS British programming, and maybe on CBC canada out of windsor.

If you get Advance Parole, Windsor is a better bet for a decent night out than Detroit.

You mention girlfriend, what visa you / she coming on?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Not really, however in Detroit, you can probably pick up some PBS British programming, and maybe on CBC canada out of windsor.

If you get Advance Parole, Windsor is a better bet for a decent night out than Detroit.

You mention girlfriend, what visa you / she coming on?

Hi Manc

I'm heading over on an H1B organised through GM, my girlfriend is hopefully heading over on a B2. We are just about to kick off her application today... but judging by what people are saying on the 'USA VISA' section of this site, it's going to be hard to get her out there any longer that 6 months ~ 1 year at best - without getting married. This is now something we're going to have to give serious consideration to!

Thanks for the feedback Manc, gotta dash off, but will be back online a little later on.

Leon

P.S. Out of interest, how's life been for you out in the US... any regrets leaving England behind?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:23 pm
@matthewb76

P.S. Out of interest, how's life been for you out in the US... any regrets leaving England behind?
ok couple of things.
get married to the girl.
B-2 offers 6 months in at most. she can get a H4 if you're married, then full green card if you make it that far.

Regret?
hell yeah. but still, life's not three bad out here. Lots of worse places to live in the world.
and it's only 8 hours home.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:05 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Lansing, which is about a 90 minute drive from downtown Detroit. I haven't been down there much, just to go to the INS office down there, although I saw Oasis at the Fox theatre which is downtown a couple of years ago. The closest I usually get to Detroit is when travelling through the airport, or visiting soewhere like Novi which is bloody good if you fancy doing a bit of shopping.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:20 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I'm in Lansing, which is about a 90 minute drive from downtown Detroit. I haven't been down there much, just to go to the INS office down there, although I saw Oasis at the Fox theatre which is downtown a couple of years ago. The closest I usually get to Detroit is when travelling through the airport, or visiting soewhere like Novi which is bloody good if you fancy doing a bit of shopping.
y'ever stopped off in Howell at the outlet place off I-96?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Anyone from the Detroit Burbs?

Ha ha... as a 'Coventry Kid' I don't regret leaving the city and moved to London in 1987, although all of my family still lives there (I will actually be there on Sunday, staying with my sister for a few days before taking one of those budget "Thomson" flights to Venice next week from Baginton airport).

I do miss living in England though...left Blighty more than 10 years ago and have to go back every year to get my 'fix' LOL!

PS. My brother-in-law works out in Balsall Common/Knowle in Warwickshire, test-driving and taking apart American cars and motor sports cars (he frequently goes to the car shows in MI).

http://www.prodrive.com

(There is another 'Cov Kid' who posts here, 'Boiler' in Colorado).

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 29th 2005 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I worked at KMart HQ in Troy for a year in 1994/1995 (so my information will be a bit out of date). And my brother lives in Troy - he's in the automotive industry.

There is quite a thriving ex-pat community out there, so you won't be lost for friends.

When I relocated to MI I ended up living in an apartment complex in Utica - on 21 or 22 mile if I remember correctly. The place was nothing special but it was cheap. I relocated to MI with a Polish colleague who was in the US for the first time. Given that the company we worked for was located in the Bay Area, we both expected to be in California, but that was not to be.

Anyway, my colleague read up on Detroit in a guidebook and was petrified (basically it said "don't go there"). Given that I had already visited Troy to see my brother, I knew exactly what it was like and was able to calm his nerves. He was especially concerned because a few months later his wife and kids were due to fly out and stay with him for 6 months.

All went well - his kids ended up attending a school in Utica and he and his family had a great time. So bottom line, you'll enjoy it

Downtown is worth seeing - just be careful. Same goes for anything south of 8 mile (hence the title of Eminem's movie). Greektown is a safe part of downtown - its located right next to a major police station!

As for nice places in the metro Detroit area - I liked Birmingham, and Royal Oak is good for nightlife.

And I highly recommend you check out the Henry Ford museum - its awesome, and you really don't hear much about it in the press.

Best of luck
Hi, new to all of this - but this sites a big help!

Moving over to Michigan around late September time (hopefully with girlfriend in tow...darn visa's!)... Just wondering if there's anyone here from the Detroit burbs?

We're looking at living around Troy / Birmingham region - or somewhere nice, lively and preferably safe. Would love to hear from anyone around that way that's willing to share their experiences (what's it's like, people, social / nightlife etc)... it's hard preparing yourself when your stuck in Coventry with nothing but an internet connection for reassurance, lol.

Also, we've been looking at these communal housing / apartment complexes - what are they really like to live in? Anyone living in one now?

Thanks in advance,

Leon
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:24 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

y'ever stopped off in Howell at the outlet place off I-96?
Yep!
Another place that's great for shopping. It helps that everytime we head down that way we have to drive right past it.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

What is that German town called - famous for its chicken? And isn't there a huge outlet mall around there (or is that the one you were talking about)?

And what was the name of the 365 day Xmas store up that way?

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Yep!
Another place that's great for shopping. It helps that everytime we head down that way we have to drive right past it.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Prodrive - Yeeer, know exactly who you mean... We did a concept car with them a couple of years back at uni. The HQ's just down the M40 in Banbury, but like you say, they have some sort of research facility (I think!?) over this way. Great stuff!

Enjoy the trip to Venice 'Englishmum' - and don't forget to savour the delights of Coventry, lol. I've been in Cov for 5 years now (Lincolnshire originally), but despite what most people here say, it's a great little city to live in... just about to head over to Browns (drinks are still far too overpriced!!), see off some old friends who are leaving the city.

Sorry, really gotta dash off (just realised the time), but thanks for all the info and feedback everyone - promise I'll get back you to properly tomorrow.

Many thanks, have a good day.

Leon
Old Jun 29th 2005, 6:58 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by kevntrace
What is that German town called - famous for its chicken? And isn't there a huge outlet mall around there (or is that the one you were talking about)?

And what was the name of the 365 day Xmas store up that way?
Frankenmuth

1) You live in the USA, not Bavaria.
2) It isn't Christmas all year you sad tossers.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

To be fair, the Yanks aren't the only ones guilty of that. I came across a similar town just outside Adelaide in Oz when I was posted there on a 5 week project a couple of years ago.

I wonder if there are any "quaint" English towns in some foreign country somewhere? Now there's an idea

Frankenmuth

1) You live in the USA, not Bavaria.
2) It isn't Christmas all year you sad tossers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.