Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone collect old coins?

Anyone collect old coins?

Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default Anyone collect old coins?

We are cleaning out the house and I found a bunch of old coins. I want to find out what they are worth. No ripping me off either
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:40 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Take them to your local library and look them up in the coin-collecting catalogues in the reference section (might be under N for numismatism {...or something like that}).

Or type the pertinent details in Ebay and see what comes up -remember to try the "completed sales" option.

What coins do you have?

Last edited by monster; Jul 16th 2004 at 4:46 am.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 4:46 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

(I don't collect any more, but my grandad did - when he died, Christies devoted an entire auction to his collection, and my sister and finally admitted we couldn't give two hoots about coin collecting and sold our collections at a car boot sale )
Old Jul 16th 2004, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

As a married man I have enough trouble collecting new coins let alone old ones !
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by monster
Take them to your local library and look them up in the coin-collecting catalogues in the reference section (might be under N for numismatism {...or something like that}).

Or type the pertinent details in Ebay and see what comes up -remember to try the "completed sales" option.

What coins do you have?
There are three little collecting books- "Mercury head dimes," "Roosevelt dimes," and "Barber or Liberty head dimes."

Apparently after looking on the net, the Mercury heads might (?) be worth something. There are 10 missing but I have one called 1916-D.

No idea about the Roosevelt or Barber ones.

Also there are buffalo nickels and wheat pennies but I doubt they are worth much!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 12:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
As a married man I have enough trouble collecting new coins let alone old ones !
ain't that the truth
Old Jul 16th 2004, 3:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a fun find!

According to this link the Barber dimes are worth anything from around $20 to $65,000 (!) depending on the year.

As you say, the 1916-D Mercury dime is potentially worth a lot of money at auction - the lowest price here is $345, but the highest is $32,775.

All in all, it sounds like you've found yourself quite a valuable little haul!