Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone brought family out to live after becoming a citizen, medical coverage question

Anyone brought family out to live after becoming a citizen, medical coverage question

Old May 2nd 2012, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

mykiddiewinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone brought family out to live after becoming a citizen, medical coverage question

We became citizens just over a year ago and although my in-laws have never been interested in living out here now they are getting older (mid 70's) they are realizing it may be a good idea as my husband is their only child.

If they sell their bungalow in England they will have more than enough to buy a a home out here, my questions is what do we do about medical insurance, is it going to be ridiculously expensive? Is there a company you would recommend?

We live in Michigan if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2012, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone brought family out to live after becoming a citizen, medical coverage ques

Originally Posted by mykiddiewinks
We became citizens just over a year ago and although my in-laws have never been interested in living out here now they are getting older (mid 70's) they are realizing it may be a good idea as my husband is their only child.

If they sell their bungalow in England they will have more than enough to buy a a home out here, my questions is what do we do about medical insurance, is it going to be ridiculously expensive? Is there a company you would recommend?

We live in Michigan if that makes a difference.

Thanks
There must be a gazillion threads on this subject. Take are read through the old thread titles or use the search engine to locate the threads. The general opinion is forget it. If they can get healthcare insurance it will be astronomical...and if they can't...well...
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone brought family out to live after becoming a citizen, medical coverage ques

Here is one recent thread on this topic. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749507

I believe that if they come here as permanent residents, they will be eligible to purchase medicare coverage after they've been here five years. Of course, that leaves them with the big problem, what kind of coverage can they get for the first five years? I will leave that unanswered question aside..

After they have been here five years as Permanent Residents, how much would their medicare coverage cost them? Here is an estimate (at 2012 prices) that I came up with in that previous thread;
Part A premium - $5,412
Part B premium - $1,200
Part D premium - $600
"Medigap" premium - $4,000
TOTAL ---- $11,212 per person, per annum
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your help. I guess the idea will probably stay an idea, would have been nice for them to see their grandchildren more but I am not broken hearted... they are my in-laws after all !!!!!
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your help. I guess the idea will probably stay an idea, would have been nice for them to see their grandchildren more but I am not broken hearted... they are my in-laws after all !!!!!
You can fly back to the UK a couple of times every year for $22,000 per annum ..! Only you and your in-laws can answer this question, but maybe they'd be more comfortable staying in the UK in old age anyway.
Old May 2nd 2012, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

We can, just a bit annoyed that we have been pushing for them to move out here for years and now it is going to be too expensive they want too

Just gets a bit much when they are under my roof for 3 + weeks at a time, would be nice for them to live close but not TOO close.
Old May 2nd 2012, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just gets a bit much when they are under my roof for 3 + weeks at a time, would be nice for them to live close but not TOO close.
If they've got pensions of around $400 a month, there are loads of countries that have retirement visas in South America that they could try...be close, warm and a nicer holiday to pop down and see them with

Uruguay, Paraguay, Venezuela and possibly even Mexico...just a thought
Old May 3rd 2012, 12:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Bob
If they've got pensions of around $400 a month, there are loads of countries that have retirement visas in South America that they could try...be close, warm and a nicer holiday to pop down and see them with

Uruguay, Paraguay, Venezuela and possibly even Mexico...just a thought
I'm pretty sure that if they stayed in the UK they'd be closer to the US than Uruguay or Paraguay
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm pretty sure that if they stayed in the UK they'd be closer to the US than Uruguay or Paraguay
Possibly, but if they wanted to get out and about...and lets face it, the weather has to be a shed load better there than in Michigan and even a lot cheaper
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, OP, I can't imagine anything worse than retiring to a climate like Michigan's