British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone been to New York (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-been-new-york-408159/)

kendra1 Nov 15th 2006 1:48 am

Anyone been to New York

Hi we are planning a trip to New York on our way back to UK (to get married) I am looking for accomodation for around 3 nights.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, we want to be in amoungst the hustle and bustle but dont want to pay the earth
Thanks
Kendra

wayne/kerrie Nov 15th 2006 2:53 am

Re: Anyone been to New York

Hi first congratulations :D and second the new york hotel to be central look at the waldorf astoria or the thirty thirty ,don't stop at central park area not to good or safe area to be in at night ...

if you do a google search you will be able to view the hotels and book on line

happy shopping new york is great for shopping and grapping some bargains :D

chels Nov 15th 2006 2:54 am

Originally Posted by kendra1
Hi we are planning a trip to New York on our way back to UK (to get married) I am looking for accomodation for around 3 nights.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, we want to be in amoungst the hustle and bustle but dont want to pay the earth
Thanks
Kendra

HTML Code:

www.tripadvisor.com
has hotel reviews, that's where I found where to stay in New York. I was on a very tight budget though, so went room only (no ensuite), quite common in New York.

harveyhare Nov 15th 2006 3:46 am

Thanks
Kendra

We stayed at the Carlton near Empire state building, En-suite room, no meals but a great bagel and coffee stall outside reception, done the whole trip booking hotel over the net, flights with Virgin 2 adults 1 week in December 800GBP, we did get a discount on flights as OH worked for virgin money :D
Wrap up warm if you are going in the Winter. If you get to see the Christmas things then head of to radio city for the christmas spectacular, it is fantastic, also late shopping in Macy's.

Di

DrWho Nov 15th 2006 4:33 am

Thanks
Kendra

We went in the first week of December in 2003. Stayed at the Paramount, about 100 yards down one of the side streets off Times Square. We booked it via Expedia and got a very good deal that included flights over with American Airlines. Can't remember how much but I wasn't horrified at the time; I can remember that much... :)

Stunningly cold though... My wife was determined to go on one of the bus tours and on the open top deck. It was -7 C without the wind chill and the tour guide spent the whole time just looking at me and shaking his head... :eek:

Bordy Nov 15th 2006 4:49 am

Thanks
Kendra

Never been but if you would like a Lonely Planet New York city guide book let me know. I won it in a Comp but I'll never use it.

moneypenny20 Nov 15th 2006 4:53 am

It was on Broadway but I'm struggling with the name at the moment, it was clean, reasonable and close enough to all the sights to be able to walk. Will have a look

Youngest reminded me - it was the Days Hotel - part of the Days Inn although I think they have dropped the Inn bit. It was fine for three or four nights.

sme Nov 15th 2006 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Never been but if you would like a Lonely Planet New York city guide book let me know. I won it in a Comp but I'll never use it.

What a lovely wedding gift :)

Congratulations - I can't offer any advise but wanted to send my good wishes:)

Dorothy Nov 15th 2006 7:58 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It was on Broadway but I'm struggling with the name at the moment, it was clean, reasonable and close enough to all the sights to be able to walk. Will have a look

Youngest reminded me - it was the Days Hotel - part of the Days Inn although I think they have dropped the Inn bit. It was fine for three or four nights.

Was it the Days Inn on 8th Ave at 54th St? We stayed there last year and it was great. There is a grocery store/deli across 54th and the subway stopped right on our corner (the blue line, which is a direct line from the hotel to JFK). At no time did we feel unsafe in the city. We were 4 women and had the best time ever. Some defo must sees are the Circle Line boat tour around the island. The tour guide was fantastic! China Town and Canal St were fantastic. We ate in the best Chinese restaurant where instead of seperate tables for the customers, we all sat at one big table. There was this little old Chinese guy with one tooth sitting across from me at our table and he sat and stared at me the entire time we were there. I thought he was intrigued to see me eating with my chopsticks, but my sister kindly pointed out that he was staring about 14" lower. :eek: Another must see is the jewelery exchange in the diamond district. You can get some really fab deals there. If you ask the vendors to show you a sapphire, they pull out a tray of loose stones for you to choose from! It was incredible.
Sorry to ramble. I loved New York and would go back in a minute if it wasn't so far from here.

moneypenny20 Nov 15th 2006 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Was it the Days Inn on 8th Ave at 54th St? We stayed there last year and it was great. .

That's the one. We loved New York - girls were a bit shell shocked though, we didn't tell them we were going until about 5 hours before the flight :D

the4ofus Nov 15th 2006 12:35 pm

hi, i went to New York for my 30th a few years ago with my sister. We stayed in the Hotel New Yorker on 34th & 8th (i think!). It was a great hotel, en suite, we had 2 huge double beds. Tick-tock diner sownstairs as well as a plush restaurant. Blueberry pancakes were fab in the diner! It is so central too - Madison Square Gardens on one corner, Penn Station on the other and Macy's and the Empire State Building only 5 minutes walk away. Port Authority Station was right up the street too - great for doing tours from, as was 42nd street. We went to see Beauty and the Beast, just bought tickets on the day (always get them cheaper that way!)

Enjoy your trip, would love to go back - only with my OH next time. Have a great day on your wedding day! ;)

Lynn

stumo Nov 16th 2006 3:48 am

We stayed at the Pennsylvania, right across the road from Madison Square Gardens. There was a transvestite convention on at the time and the lobby was full of men in womens clothing most of the time - most bizarre.
Walking distance from everywhere.

CasG Nov 16th 2006 4:24 am

We stayed Upper East on 67th Street ......great location....we found a place on a website where people rent out rooms in their apartments ....sorry as cannot remember the website address....also stayed on 64th the following time

Anyway - congratulations and I hope you enjoy what I think is the best city in the world.

Pickles Nov 16th 2006 11:13 am

I have been several times and have stayed in various accomodations from the very expensive to the terribly cheap hostels. I thought the Penn Hotel right by the ESB was a good location and reasonably priced, close to the subway and very safe at night.

If you want really cheap I stayed at a hostel on 125th and Malcom X Blvd it was close to the subway but not for the faint hearted at night to be honest, I never has any problems there comming in at 3am but again it is a little different than the more tourist areas.

Jerseygirl Nov 16th 2006 1:23 pm

Try the search option at the top of the page...there has been a few threads started by people visiting NYC and wanting info on hotels and what to see and do in the city. Any of the large chains like the Sheraton, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton are good hotels...depends on how much you want to spend.

Might want to give the Penn Hotel a miss though...they have had a lot of complaints about bed bugs recently...it's been all over the local news. :scared: