Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Cuba from the US?

Anyone been to Cuba from the US?

Old May 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone been to Cuba from the US?

I had a vague idea that travel between the US and Cuba was restricted somewhat, but until I started looking into it I didnt realise how stringent they are! Basically, I want to go Cuba for a short vacation. Anyone done it before? Any tips on the best way to do it?
Old May 5th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to Cuba from the US?

I believe you have to go through Canada. It might be worth driving up to Toronto from NY.
Old May 5th 2008, 6:20 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Or via Mexico, I think.
Old May 5th 2008, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I had a vague idea that travel between the US and Cuba was restricted somewhat, but until I started looking into it I didnt realise how stringent they are! Basically, I want to go Cuba for a short vacation. Anyone done it before? Any tips on the best way to do it?
More stringent than you thought, perhaps. You might want to wait until you either have US citizenship (and are willing to break the law but probably can't be deported/denaturalized) OR until you are through with the US altogether and don't care what they say.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS/TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS:

The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

General licenses are granted to the following categories of travelers, and they are permitted to spend money for Cuban travel and to engage in other transactions directly incident to the purpose of their travel, without the need to obtain a specific license from the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC): (more)
Old May 5th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that you have to list countries visited on a lot of immigration forms too so you will be faced with coming clean or lying.
Old May 5th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I went a couple of times, but only before I became a PR of the US. Discolosed on my original immigration paperwork, never mentioned, no problem. However, certainly wouldn't do it being a GC holder; would do you no favors whatsoever should you decide to become a citizen.

When I was there, I met a fair few Americans - but they were all there via Mexico and Canada, undeclared. Fine for them, born and bred, but for you, just not worth it. Plenty of other similar places you can go; who knows, maybe Cuba will legally open up again in future, anyway.
Old May 5th 2008, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you with the travel plans....but I can advise you that when I was there in 2000-1, I lost weight! The food was very unappetising. Not the locals fault, just the way it was. ie a completely different culture.
Old May 5th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The best way is to take your short vacation somewhere else.
Old May 5th 2008, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it, far to much to lose out by risking it if you ain't a US citizen, even then it's a hassle...
Old May 5th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The best way is to take your short vacation somewhere else.

Yeah, probably the best idea, I never realised that it applied to US resident. I thought it was just citizens. Such a shame that the US government can be so backward in this day and age. I've heard that it's a fascinating place to visit. I'll just have to be content with watching my Buena Vista Social club DVD
Old May 5th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a friend in the UK who is going there and she thought that it was Cuba that banned the Americans because they thought one of them would shoot Castro!
Old May 5th 2008, 8:47 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I just came to this thread to call you a moron.

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Oh, when I did first come here in 1996, I was confused for a little bit why I couldn't find Delta flights from Hartsfield, Atlanta to Cuba.
Old May 5th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I just came to this thread to call you a moron.

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Oh, when I did first come here in 1996, I was confused for a little bit why I couldn't find Delta flights from Hartsfield, Atlanta to Cuba.
Sorry, I just got a little worked up and it was uncalled for...
Old May 5th 2008, 8:56 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I just got a little worked up and it was uncalled for...

LOL. That was actually pretty mild. I'm at my most trollable when I talk about global warming. Anyway, for the record, it's actually 'moran'.
If you're ever on fark.com, digg or somethingawful.com, you'll see the correct spelling.

Back to Cuba, I looked at two or three airlines and couldn't figure out why I couldn't see any flights. Finally, the penny dropped.
Old May 5th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

you will be faced with coming clean or lying
And Lying on a federal form (such as customs) as well as to a federal officer can get you big fines....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.