Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to a cookie exchange??

Anyone been to a cookie exchange??

Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone been to a cookie exchange??

OK this year I just might go along......anyone been to one, what goes on

This years invitation is on Dec 9 and I've to bring FOUR dozen homemade cookies.....still that's better than last years when it was six dozen ffs

So what goes on besides exchanging cookies and to be honest cookies are something I can live without unless they are white chocolate and then the only ones I'm partial to are Millie's Cookies.

Guess my main concern is I really don't fancy tasting cookies or food from homes where I don't know how clean their kitchen is.....and my goodness why four dozen....I know a few neighbours are going and if they each take along four dozen cookies then there's a whole lot of scoffing going to take place between 2 and 5PM, surely we don't come away with doggie bags

BTW for those of you that have been is there generally any alcohol at these do's?

We are to bring the cookies with recipes arranged on a platter or basket and there's a prize for the best....
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to a cookie exchange??

Sorry I've never heard of a 'cookie exchange' before. I'm with you...I don't like eating home baked goods if I don't know where they're from.

When my daughter was about 13 her school had a cookie bake sale. OMG...who knew it would turn out to be a 'cookie presentation competition'. The cookies were displayed on fancy presentation plates, baskets or tins with lots of coloured tissue paper. One girl wrapped 2 cookies in pale blue net and tied the top with a blue ribbon. All her cookies were presented this way and placed on a willow pattern platter...it looked very attractive. My daughter took her cookies on a white plastic disposable plate.

Alcohol...during the day...now that's funny. You'll get the reputation of being a lush.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it sounds alright. I wouldn't be too concerned about eating other peoples home baked stuff - generally, the people who can be arsed to do this kind of event are usually very good cooks. You'd have more chance of eating something unpleasant with massive production operations full of disgruntled staff.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:05 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Is it like a Telephone Exchange, but without the phones?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
OK this year I just might go along......anyone been to one, what goes on

This years invitation is on Dec 9 and I've to bring FOUR dozen homemade cookies.....still that's better than last years when it was six dozen ffs

So what goes on besides exchanging cookies and to be honest cookies are something I can live without unless they are white chocolate and then the only ones I'm partial to are Millie's Cookies.

Guess my main concern is I really don't fancy tasting cookies or food from homes where I don't know how clean their kitchen is.....and my goodness why four dozen....I know a few neighbours are going and if they each take along four dozen cookies then there's a whole lot of scoffing going to take place between 2 and 5PM, surely we don't come away with doggie bags

BTW for those of you that have been is there generally any alcohol at these do's?

We are to bring the cookies with recipes arranged on a platter or basket and there's a prize for the best....
Well I cant help but PMSL at your little pickle or big pickle by the sound of it.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Went to a cookie exchange this past Friday.....made 3 dozen pumpkin spiced cookies. I threatened to go to the store and buy some Oreos, but ended up baking.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:31 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
I'll jump in as a Yank....

Typically a cookie exchange is just that. You go and bring your cookies and come out of there with the same number of plates that you brought, but they came from someone else who attended the exchange.

Personally I have never understood the point of this (I guess it's the Christmas Spirit, holiday party feel, being social with your neighbors, etc.) but I am not a cookie lover and don't make them myself so I've politely turned down most of these invitations over the years. Part of the idea, I guess, is that you come home with cookie platters that you could then give to others on your gift list, but if you already baked four dozen to bring to the party, so why couldn't you just give 'em your own???

IF I was having one there damn sure would be alcohol, even in the middle of the day. I'd be willing to bet there won't be at yours though....so take a swig of something before you head out the door.

I think it's stupid.
~SecretGarden
Old Dec 4th 2006, 2:56 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

You should start your own British tradition of hosting them but they should bring along some beer/alcohol with it. Then see what alcohol goes best with what cookie (at least it would make the cookies palatable!)
And if it doesn't work out you wouldn't be invited back a win win situation
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try swapping your cookies for a few bottles of wine

Can't think why thery don't just exchange recipes myself...
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:41 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a cookie show off party..
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:46 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Is there any way you could modify your cookie recipe to include something alcoholic? or if you were not bothered about being invited again include something like marmite in the recipe and tell everyone its a traditional UK recipe and that the queen eats them that way. Then spend the afternoon laughing at people trying to be polite as they taste your cookies........
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:48 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
You could always try swapping your cookies for a few bottles of wine

Can't think why thery don't just exchange recipes myself...
Good idea about the wine!
but see my post.........you're supposed to end up taking home cookies that you didn't bake, 1. just for the fun of it or 2. to give to other people (co-workers, aquaintances, your mailman) as christmas gifts

As I said, I think it's stupid. And I don't like cookies.
~SG
Old Dec 4th 2006, 3:49 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Is there any way you could modify your cookie recipe to include something alcoholic? or if you were not bothered about being invited again include something like marmite in the recipe and tell everyone its a traditional UK recipe and that the queen eats them that way. Then spend the afternoon laughing at people trying to be polite as they taste your cookies........
Rum balls!
~SG
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
You should start your own British tradition of hosting them but they should bring along some beer/alcohol with it. Then see what alcohol goes best with what cookie (at least it would make the cookies palatable!)
And if it doesn't work out you wouldn't be invited back a win win situation

Last year my husband took mince pies into the office for his staff....they loved them.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Last year my husband took mince pies into the office for his staff....they loved them.
Did you make them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.