Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Cape Cod, MA?

Anyone been to Cape Cod, MA?

Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:36 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Anyone been to Cape Cod, MA?

My mum and daughter are arriving early next week and I've now managed to get my husband to cancel meetings so we can all get away for a few days.

I'm sort of thinking of driving up to Cape Cod - possibly on the 5th July as I guess any place with availability will be charging over the odds on the 4th.

Can anyone recommend any towns or hotels/motels there which they've been to which isn't too elite/stuffy? I don't fancy B&Bs as with five of us it will cost too many $$ (B&Bs seem to be a lot more expensive in the US than they are in the UK).

I usually also check out tripadvisor.com but there's little info on which town to choose from.

If not....I guess it will be the Jersey Shore (again...yawn).
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to Cape Cod, MA?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My mum and daughter are arriving early next week and I've now managed to get my husband to cancel meetings so we can all get away for a few days.

I'm sort of thinking of driving up to Cape Cod - possibly on the 5th July as I guess any place with availability will be charging over the odds on the 4th.

Can anyone recommend any towns or hotels/motels there which they've been to which isn't too elite/stuffy? I don't fancy B&Bs as with five of us it will cost too many $$ (B&Bs seem to be a lot more expensive in the US than they are in the UK).

I usually also check out tripadvisor.com but there's little info on which town to choose from.

I would've thought that most popular locations would be fully booked the week of 4th July. Even those that have ability would be charing peak season prices too.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

went to marthas vinyard a few years back - that was nice - but no hotels to speak of - nearly all B&Bs not sure if the cape is similar
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Try Hyanas (I think thats how it's spelt ?)

It's the largest town and is situated at the start of the Cape and so there is more accomodation and costs less, there are also fast ferries to the Vinyard.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:44 am
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

We stayed in Cape Cod on our honeymoon 2 years ago and loved it. We stayed in Captain Farris House in Bass River Village which we would highly recommend to anyone. I would also say that B&B's over here are completely different to B&B's back home. I'd also add that the Cape will be absolutely packed at that time even thought it is after the 4th. On the plus side,you will probably be able to wave to all the poor buggers sweating away in their cars in the queue to get out. Also, don't leave the Cape on a weekend day unless you want to be in that queue!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Go further south to the beaches of Delaware. Far nicer than the beaches in New Jersey and lots of large hotels.

Also look at Block Island, Rhode Island. Only one hotel there...The National. All the rest of B&B's.

Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had a vacation in Cape Cod a couple of years ago. You can take a ferry across to Martha's Vineyard although if I remember correctly its quite expensive. Providence Town right at the top of the Cape is probably the liveliest, lots of little stores. Accommodation is mostly B & B's and motels. We went 2nd week in August and didn't have any problems with traffic. We took a look at Newport, Rhode Island on the way home.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 29th 2006 at 11:28 am.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:27 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Go further south to the beaches of Delaware. Far nicer than the beaches in New Jersey and lots of large hotels.

Also look at Block Island, Rhode Island. Only one hotel there...The National. All the rest of B&B's.
I've stayed at "The National" on Block Island.....my husband's former boss has a lovely holiday home there and we spent the weekend on the island - actually three days after the WTC terror attacks - (along with about 50 other people) as he had one of those clam and lobster bakes where they dig a huge pit in the ground. There were too many of us to sleep at the house so we stayed at the hotel and took our bicycles over on the ferry.

The National was a dump to be honest and I'm so glad we were only there for a couple of nights.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Its' going to be tough because of the time, as Rete said, better off further south, or even further north as it'll be less busy...also not a cheap spot, especially on the hols...
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've never stayed at the National. Have stayed at several B&B's and have loved every one of them from the fanciest to the plainest. The fanciest was for our honeymoon with a jacuzzi and a private bath and deck. The plainest was the Island Home but warm and cozy nonetheless.

I've stayed at "The National" on Block Island.....my husband's former boss has a lovely holiday home there and we spent the weekend on the island - actually three days after the WTC terror attacks - (along with about 50 other people) as he had one of those clam and lobster bakes where they dig a huge pit in the ground. There were too many of us to sleep at the house so we stayed at the hotel and took our bicycles over on the ferry.

The National was a dump to be honest and I'm so glad we were only there for a couple of nights.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:17 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Heritage House Hotel in Hyannis - we stayed there 6 years ago. Has a pool both inside and out. Breakfast buffet and the rooms were nice. Very reasonably priced. However, it is on Main Street so if you are outside it is noisy from the traffic. But I would definitely recommend it all round.

They also helped book for a whale watching trip and it was the best one we have ever been on. Great fun

http://www.heritagehousehotel.com/

Also, it isn't too far up the island so it won't take too long to get there. You should be able to have a day trip over to Martha's Vineyard or go to the local beaches or take a trip up the island without it costing you a lot in accommodation.