Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in the Auto industry?

Anyone in the Auto industry?

Old May 14th 2010, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone in the Auto industry?

I'm toying with the idea of a move from the UAE to the US. specifically as a Service consultant in a dealership. Anyone have any experience, advice or contacts. Briefly, 14 years experience with German prestige, with some supervisory and management experience but would also look as just an advisers position. Maybe the worng forum, but hey, got to start somewhere!
Old May 14th 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone in the Auto industry?

My brother in law has worked for various auto companies around Detroit. He is not involved in the retailing\servicing side though, he works on designing and breaking engines.

I was other there a couple of weeks ago, and we discussed this in some of our conversations. He says right now, times are pretty tough for most people, unless they are at a pretty senior level in the industry or a highly regarded expert in their specific area of work. He also said its a surprisingly small industry and you tend to find yourself involved with the same characters a lot of the time.

I know it applies to most industries, but the moral is that especially in the auto industry right now, times are tough and unless you are exceptional at a particular task, its far more important who your contacts are.
It seems you already have the idea of working on contacts, which I would think is definitely the right way to go. I think it's unlikely many people just going to give you their contacts on the internet though.

On the non automotive side, do you already have any kind of status to work in the US?
Old May 14th 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply. No, go no idea how to even go about getting status in the US. As for level of expertise, well, without blowing my own trumpet, I'm just about at the top of the game. I've never had a problem changing companies in the UK as I've usually got people trying to offer me jobs even when I don't want one. I'm in Dubai now, and to be honest, I love it here. But, I've got that bug to move again and have always hand a fondness of the US. I just don't know if it's feasible.
You're right, it is about contacts, and the motor trade is incredibly incestuous. If it's going back to the UK, or even here, no problem, I could change tomorrow. But I feel the need for something new. I know the industry is pretty flat everywhere at the moment, but I'm in Aftersales, which even during the bad times holds pretty stable as people always need cars servicing. Moreso if they can't afford to change to a new on, so ultimately, our figures have been known to go up during a recession. My current dealership went up 28% last year in the service department from the previous.
My post I suppose is more about if anyone has done what I'm considering, if it's possible and would it be worthwhile.
Old May 14th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH used to be in the auto business up near Detroit, but we were extremely fortunate to be offered a job here in TX as the recession hit.
Times are very, very hard in the industry right now
I suggest you read the wiki regarding what visas are available.
Basically the easiest ways are to either be married to a USC or work for a large international company and get a transfer.
You need to find a job, and then the company applies for a visa for you.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
Thanks for the reply. No, go no idea how to even go about getting status in the US.
Start reading this page and see if anything looks promising.
Old May 14th 2010, 1:17 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Friend works at Merc dealer in NYC area. Industry is at the moment. Very slow.

I would have thought the possibilities for sponsorship were slim, considering the large indigenous pool - but I may well be missing some important detail.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

So basically you want to know if a car salesman qualifies for a visa? I'm going to say that unless you marry an American, qualify for and win the green card lottery or have immediate relatives who are US citizens you don't have much of a chance. You may get a job offer, or many, but you likely won't get a visa based on one.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sales positions are not on the list for a work visa. Perhaps you might want to go back to work for the German Auto Company and after a year be eligible for an L-1 transfer to one of their offices in the US. The one hitch is it must be a managerial position.

Last edited by Rete; May 14th 2010 at 3:41 pm.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
I'm toying with the idea of a move from the UAE to the US.
That's like me toying with the idea of being in Fabio Capello's team in South Africa.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
That's like me toying with the idea of being in Fabio Capello's team in South Africa.
I think I would bet on you Manc!
Old May 14th 2010, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of management experience?

Niche skills might help, for a company transfer, but general show room stuff, probably no hope of getting a visa for that.