Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Old Sep 11th 2014, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Try asking on
Austin Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

If you're having to work in Austin, then watch your commute. Austin commute traffic is AWFUL!!

You can get out to the countryside fairly easily and quickly outside of rush-hour if you fancy getting out of the city.
But having lived in Austin for 8 years, there isn't any countryside in any direction worth driving to in a reasonable amount of time. It is flat, hotter than Hades for 12 months of the year and full of creatures that will bite or sting you....
Back to the OP's question, it all depends on where you and any significant other need to work. The commute is just awful in most parts of Austin these days so that should be your #1 concern. It sure wasn't the case when I first visited in 1986....
Old Sep 11th 2014, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Originally Posted by Owen778
The problem you have is that there are few places in the USA that have greenery and broadleaf trees, but mild winters.

but you should probably concentrate your search on the east and west coasts.
Er, Portland, OR seems to answer most of the criteria.... I love Portland, it is by far the best place I have ever lived....