Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Old Sep 7th 2014, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Does anyone live in or has anyone lived in the Texas Hill Country area. What are the better areas, which are the areas to avoid. What are the pro's and con's of living there?
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

taiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone in Austin/Texas Hill Country

Only lived downtown when I went to UT... so can't comment on other areas.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:59 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

What is your definition of Texas Hill Country??
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

taiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to all

I would say the place west of Austin where it's all hilly and stuff?? Could probably include Llano
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
I would say the place west of Austin where it's all hilly and stuff?? Could probably include Llano
Yes that's right, although I wouldn't want to live in Austin itself ... and probably couldn't afford to anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Austin isn't that expensive, especially compared to California...
Old Sep 8th 2014, 3:26 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Austin, in the suburbs.
I'd give my right arm to be able to live in the centre! Maybe when the kids have finished school ...

I wouldn't want to live out in the hill country but I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

Not much help was I??

Also "Beachgal" there aren't any beaches.......
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

cookiehearts is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't live there and don't know anyone that does... it seems like mostly a place where people go to get away at weekends, not sure what actual industry there is other than wine?

If you don't want to live in downtown or central Austin, slightly North (Round Rock and Pflugerville) are affordable, and so is South Austin. I live technically still in Austin but really in Round Rock, and our rent is OK. I think South Austin is prettier though if you don't want to be so urban. There's also places like Dripping Springs if you don't want to be in Austin (north or south).
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
Austin isn't that expensive, especially compared to California...
I don't live in California, I live in Florida at the moment.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
I live in Austin, in the suburbs.
I'd give my right arm to be able to live in the centre! Maybe when the kids have finished school ...

I wouldn't want to live out in the hill country but I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

Not much help was I??

Also "Beachgal" there aren't any beaches.......
That's ok I'll get the OH to build me a sandbox
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ideally what I'm looking for is somewhere outside the city but within easy reach of places to hike, cycle etc. In a neighborhood of homes on larger lots so that I'm not living shoulder to shoulder with my neighbors. I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere, but I'd like to be within a 30 minute drive of it. I'll be heading to Austin for a few days to do with work next week so would like to get an idea of some areas to check out while I'm there.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Try asking on
Austin Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

If you're having to work in Austin, then watch your commute. Austin commute traffic is AWFUL!!

You can get out to the countryside fairly easily and quickly outside of rush-hour if you fancy getting out of the city.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Sep 8th 2014 at 10:17 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I remember Houston traffic is awful too. But it's all perspectives. Once you been in some countries in Asia you'll think even the worst traffic in the US is really good.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

why are you moving to Austin? I see from previous threads you have considered several states, moving back to the UK or Ireland and that you are over the heat plus humidity of Florida. Austin and the hill country are very hot and tends to be humid. Its mid Sept and the high for today is 99f

Areas to consider are Lakeway, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Circle C, West Lake Hills , all have the attributes you are looking for. Hill country is full of Red Necks and very religious, a church about 100 yds. My son lives part time in Burnet, (he works in oil fields of Midlands) and is about to marry into a family of such. Oh happy days.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmb View Post
why are you moving to Austin? I see from previous threads you have considered several states, moving back to the UK or Ireland and that you are over the heat plus humidity of Florida. Austin and the hill country are very hot and tends to be humid. Its mid Sept and the high for today is 99f

Areas to consider are Lakeway, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Cedar Park, Circle C, West Lake Hills , all have the attributes you are looking for. Hill country is full of Red Necks and very religious, a church about 100 yds. My son lives part time in Burnet, (he works in oil fields of Midlands) and is about to marry into a family of such. Oh happy days.
If I had my way I'd be on a flight back to the UK and when we sold our house 6 weeks ago I was under the impression that's where we were going .... turns out I was wrong ... long story that I've already posted about in MBTTUK forum so wont repeat it again here.

I'm looking to get out of Florida, it's mostly flat and if you're not into watersports or golf (which I'm not) it's a pretty boring place to live. I need greenery and broad leaf trees .... something that looks more like the English countryside. I've spent the last 6 weeks working in Colorado, just outside of Denver and would stay here given the choice. Beautiful scenery, not too hot and no humidity, plenty of places to hike and get off the beaten track. I'd also consider parts of Kentucky, Tennessee both of which I've spent time in. Trouble is the winters are cold in all 3 states which isn't a problem for me but is for the OH, plus they also have a State Tax which is another big No No for the OH. I know much of TX is hot and humid, I spent several months there last year building a Seasons 52 in City Centre, Houston and I've spent time elsewhere in TX too. I like the openness and space that TX has and the people are friendly enough and there's no State Tax. I'm trying to find a compromise .... believe me it's not easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.