Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Austin, Texas

Wikiposts

Anyone in Austin, Texas

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Austin, Texas

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I see where you're coming from, I'm just surprised that you encounter these people in Austin. These are the sorts of attitudes you encounter in Plano or Dallas. Then again, I live practically downtown, in "old Austin", so maybe I don't meet these people. Is it possible that you live further out in the suburbs?
Yep, out near the Dell Diamond in Forest Creek subdivision.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:10 am
thanks for all the fish !

Richardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud ofRichardowen has much to be proud of

Hi Welcome to BE.

I moved from London to Austin 2 months ago and I've been here numerous times to visit. After reading the post's here I'd say it's pretty fair although I personally have met some genuinely nice people here that don't care about money, religion, sex, orientation, race etc.

Austin is a very liberal city and people here like to express this openly and shout about it as it's surrounded by the communists, sorry i mean republicans ! Hence the slogan "keep austin weird!" Personally after living in London for 8 years it's not really weird at all but I guess from a bible belt viewpoint we is all gonna hell.

On the religious note, IMHO people over here are not as timid as in the UK and will tell you what they think and what they believe in, you just gotta stand up and tell them right back. Those that judge you and don't want to enter into a discussion that might challenge their beliefs are probably not the kind of people you want as friends anyway, no matter what you believe in plus I'm pretty sure they stopped lynching people a couple of weeks ago !

Austin for me has been great so far. I've yet to experience living here in the summer though but I'd rather put up with the heat then the cold and the darkness in the UK !

Don't have any kids as yet so can't help you there.

Good luck
Rich./

Last edited by Richardowen; Feb 23rd 2007 at 4:12 am. Reason: I can't spell !
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:25 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toontje

A liberal island in a republican sea.
Brilliant!!! Remember most Republicans are against gun control though.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I wondered as much. Without intending to be provocative or condescending, I think that if you are going to update the Wiki you should do so under Round Rock, and not under Austin! Now that I can put your comments in a geographical context however, I do understand why your impressions are as they are.

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Yep, out near the Dell Diamond in Forest Creek subdivision.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

I know that the areas that we are looking at zip code 78750 and 78759 fall into the Round Rock school,district but was under the impression that they were not IN Round Rock as such. My in laws talk about the Balcones area... and from what I can tell it falls into Travis county...

Last edited by cruickies; Feb 23rd 2007 at 4:59 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

That's an attractive part of town, and btw is not in Round Rock (although the school district could be). Those two zip codes are bordered by 2222 to the south, Highway 620 to the west, 183 (Research Blvd) to the north, and Highway 360 to the east. It's loosely centered around the Arboretum shopping area. Very hilly, very wooded, nice 70s-era and newer homes. There's green belt in there, and it's close to Emma Long Park (1,200 acres with lake access). Good choice.

Originally Posted by cruickies
I know that the areas that we are looking at zip code 78750 and 78759 fall into the Round Rock school,district but was under the impression that they were not IN Round Rock as such. My in laws talk about the Balcones area... and from what I can tell it falls into Travis county...

Last edited by Britdrinker; Feb 23rd 2007 at 6:30 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:32 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I know that the areas that we are looking at zip code 78750 and 78759 fall into the Rpound Rock school,district but was under the impression that they were not IN Round Rock as such. My in laws talk about the Balcones area... and from what I can tell it falls into Travis county...
Balcones Country Club is up off 183 and is in Travis County, but it's nearing Williamson County. Williamson County is a bastion of bible-bashing conservatives and I don't even like crossing the county line. (I'm born and bred Texan BTW.)

Balcones *Drive* is beautiful (78731), close in, and feeds into an exemplary elementary school. Once you get past elementary school it's a toss up anyway. There are actually more "gangs" and redneck hooliganism in the Round Rock middle and high schools than in many Austin secondary schools.

If you want exemplary and are willing to pay $$$ for a home, the Westlake district is good; but you'd better like high school football and you have to watch out for the kids whose parents drop off $500 for the weekend and leave for Taos. The kids then have problems with drugs, alcohol, and ridiculously priced cars.

I would encourage a visit to see where you feel at "home." Depending on the school and district you want your children to attend, there's the possibility of transfer; both my kids are transfer students. Both attended an exemplary AND more importantly, a nationally/federally recognised Blue Ribbon school. The state rankings are different to the more vigorous Blue Ribbon award. My eldest has been in a magnet school for academically advanced students where the students hit 98-100% on their tests and she begins high school this fall.

I think you'll find a more educated and eclectic "bohemian" attitude in Austin and far, far more expats here than in the 'burbs.

There are three high schools I'd consider in Austin:
LASA (Liberal Arts and Science academy, where kids can also take courses at the local community college)
http://www.lbjhs.net/lasa/
Anderson for its International Baccalaureate degree
http://www.austinisd.org/schools/website.phtml?id=001
and the fine arts magnet at McCallum
http://www.austinisd.org/schools/website.phtml?id=012

I'd strongly suggest a visit to different neighbourhoods and schools before making your choice.

Best of luck,
Amy.

Last edited by snowbunny; Feb 23rd 2007 at 6:49 am. Reason: get the websites in the right place....
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Roger that, Snowbunny. I won't even go to parties 'up there'.

As an amusing aside, I once attended the graduation of a good friend from the State Trooper academy, which took place up at the Shoreline Christian Center, which I think may be in Will. Co. Anyhow, I found it ironic (hypocritical?) that each and every one of those graduates was armed to the teeth, and in the House of God at that!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Williamson County is a bastion of bible-bashing conservatives and I don't even like crossing the county line.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Zip code map might come in handy: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/census/images/ziptax_4.pdf
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:47 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Roger that, Snowbunny. I won't even go to parties 'up there'.

As an amusing aside, I once attended the graduation of a good friend from the State Trooper academy, which took place up at the Shoreline Christian Center, which I think may be in Will. Co. Anyhow, I found it ironic (hypocritical?) that each and every one of those graduates was armed to the teeth, and in the House of God at that!
It's in Travis County.... but I get creeped out by churches that look like large industrial estates.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

cruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to allcruickies is a name known to all

Thanks for the links Snowbunny and Britdrinker. The zipcode map is a brilliant resource!

We are planning to put in our I-130s this week...assuming we can find somewhere that does the 2inch passport photos...
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:35 pm
Lapine Member

We are planning to put in our I-130s this week...assuming we can find somewhere that does the 2inch passport photos...
Where are you currently living? You might ask in a differently titled thread about where you can get the photos made. I know that people have talked about having them done in London but if you're elsewhere I'm sure there's someplace closer to you.

Get those applications filed because there is a massive fee rise due to take place later in the year.

And if anyone's an IT geek, feel free to ask further questions via PM. I'm in the industry and my husband is training as a network/system admin.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I know that people have talked about having them done in London but if you're elsewhere I'm sure there's someplace closer to you.
Thanks Snowbunny, the US embassy website does list place that you can do them - one of which is Snappy Snaps (but apparently not ALL Snappy Snaps do them!)
Old Feb 24th 2007, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered as much. Without intending to be provocative or condescending, I think that if you are going to update the Wiki you should do so under Round Rock, and not under Austin! Now that I can put your comments in a geographical context however, I do understand why your impressions are as they are.
But, you didn't ask me where I work or what I do outside of work, both of which are not in RR.... BTW your logic above is faulty. My impressions were formed over 18 years of visiting Austin multiple times each year, and including a previous 18 month stay (near McNeil) and a 6 month stay (near Enfield).
Not where I have lived for the last 4 years.

Anyway I'm going to bow out of the discussion; we could bat this one around for the rest of eternity.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Fair enough. Not my intention to argue with you, but I do tend to speak up when I disagree sufficiently with a posting.

Originally Posted by TimFountain
But, you didn't ask me where I work or what I do outside of work, both of which are not in RR.... BTW your logic above is faulty. My impressions were formed over 18 years of visiting Austin multiple times each year, and including a previous 18 month stay (near McNeil) and a 6 month stay (near Enfield).
Not where I have lived for the last 4 years.

Anyway I'm going to bow out of the discussion; we could bat this one around for the rest of eternity.