Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Atlanta, GA?

Anyone in Atlanta, GA?

Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:53 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone in Atlanta, GA?

Originally Posted by franc111s
You don't want to rent a car in Atlanta. There are way too may stop lights and they all seem to favor the color red (and I'm serious)...

If you do get a green, it doesn't mean in Atlanta that the driver coming the other way won't ignore their red either... (and I'm even more serious)...

We have more stop lights than we have people....

I'd rent from the airport if I were you, get a special long term deal with Hertz - shop around (call the local manager). If the business is slow, they will do you a deal.

We have lots of Brits in Atlanta. Good Pubs and Lots of places to get Englsih grub... where will you be ?
Hello Franc. Cheers for your response.

I hadnt really noticed the traffic lights in my 4 previous trips to Atlanta, but i'll take your word for it.

That sounds like a great tip for the rent a car. Will try and ring up E-Z rent-a-car at Hartsfield, if I can get their #.

It sounds like u know your way around Atlanta. I will be up in the NE, in Dekalb county, in the North Lake Mall area. Do u know that area?

I am off to bed now, but I will be sure to drop u a PM tomorrow morning and perhaps we could hook up for a drink or sommat when I am in town and we can talk Atlanta.

Karma on its way...
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:13 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Cheers for the tip Rompers....

Have never been to Savannah, but I hear is brilliant there. Will look up Hertz and Budget as those have branches here in Dubai as well, so it may makes things easier....

Whats Charleston like? Would that be along the I-85 or I-75, North?

There are two "real" pubs in Savannah-Churchills (where I was with some JCB former clients Sat night) and the Six Pence Pub.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to all of you US forum buffs!

This is Face from the ME forum....

I will be visiting Atlanta once again this summer for about 3 weeks and I was considering renting a car. So far I have only managed to find a car through E-Z Rent Car. I would appreciate if anyone could suggest other (and cheaper) car rental places. If its of any significance, I will be in the NE, in Dekalb County.

I would also be interested in talking to or meeting up with expats in good ol' ATL to get the low down on Atlanta. Although I have visited Atlanta 3 times in the past, I have never actually spoken to other expats. I am keen to do so this time, as Atlanta is potentially somewhere I wcan see myself living in a few years from now....

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Face.

PS - Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to.
Are there links to the rental car companies based at/near Atlanta's international airport on the airport website?

NC Penguin
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are there links to the rental car companies based at/near Atlanta's international airport on the airport website?

NC Penguin

There may be-I sent him a PM about car rentals.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

waitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura about

Hi Face:

Yes, Rental from airport is a good bet as Franc mentioned. Hartsfield has HERTZ and AVIS, though, when I came in US in 96, I rented with AVIS on my Dubai International license for a long time, but, HERTZ is better. You can book through avis.com or hertz.com or direct via a HERTZ or AVIS location through Dubai also.

Savannah is great, nice place, though, Atlanta has great pubs too. Nice Middle Eastern restaurants too, if you want to enjoy lebanese food and belly dancing, NICOLA's is the best (atleast, I thought so)

If you need any more pointers, I am North of Atlanta, Suwanee (Gwinnett county), pm me

[QUOTE=Face81]Hello Franc. Cheers for your response.

I hadnt really noticed the traffic lights in my 4 previous trips to Atlanta, but i'll take your word for it.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:12 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin

course there probably are, i just wanted some help to make it easier and cheaper.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 6:15 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by waitingforAOS
Hi Face:

Yes, Rental from airport is a good bet as Franc mentioned. Hartsfield has HERTZ and AVIS, though, when I came in US in 96, I rented with AVIS on my Dubai International license for a long time, but, HERTZ is better. You can book through avis.com or hertz.com or direct via a HERTZ or AVIS location through Dubai also.

Savannah is great, nice place, though, Atlanta has great pubs too. Nice Middle Eastern restaurants too, if you want to enjoy lebanese food and belly dancing, NICOLA's is the best (atleast, I thought so)

If you need any more pointers, I am North of Atlanta, Suwanee (Gwinnett county), pm me

Cheers mate. I will look into it and possibly PM you once I am in ATL this w/e.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Funky Chicken is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to all of you US forum buffs!

This is Face from the ME forum....

I will be visiting Atlanta once again this summer for about 3 weeks and I was considering renting a car. So far I have only managed to find a car through E-Z Rent Car. I would appreciate if anyone could suggest other (and cheaper) car rental places. If its of any significance, I will be in the NE, in Dekalb County.

I would also be interested in talking to or meeting up with expats in good ol' ATL to get the low down on Atlanta. Although I have visited Atlanta 3 times in the past, I have never actually spoken to other expats. I am keen to do so this time, as Atlanta is potentially somewhere I wcan see myself living in a few years from now....

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Face.

PS - Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to.
I am in Atlanta at the moment (for the next week on a business trip). After that I will be back in blighty until my L1 visa is granted (maybe end of September). Then I will be back in Atlanta with family for the next 2 years. If any of the Atlanta mob want to PM me then plaese do, perhaps we can get a beer somewhere?

I expect that my wife will be interested in meeting up with anyt ex-pats in the area. I will be out at work all day whereas she will not be working so may get bored.

Cheers, Chris.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 1:54 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Funky Chicken
I am in Atlanta at the moment (for the next week on a business trip). After that I will be back in blighty until my L1 visa is granted (maybe end of September). Then I will be back in Atlanta with family for the next 2 years. If any of the Atlanta mob want to PM me then plaese do, perhaps we can get a beer somewhere?

I expect that my wife will be interested in meeting up with anyt ex-pats in the area. I will be out at work all day whereas she will not be working so may get bored.

Cheers, Chris.
Cheers fro your reply Chris.

I will drop you a PM when I get to Atlanta and we can take it from there. Take care,
F.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:56 pm
The Oracle

hello folks....

just wanted to say that i have arrived safely and am loving these MEGA t-storms that rattle homes. LOL

Can anyone sudggest a good arabic/lebanese restaurant in Atlanta, if there are any?

Thanks to everyone for all their help.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

waitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura aboutwaitingforAOS has a spectacular aura about

hello folks....

just wanted to say that i have arrived safely and am loving these MEGA t-storms that rattle homes. LOL

Can anyone sudggest a good arabic/lebanese restaurant in Atlanta, if there are any?

Thanks to everyone for all their help.
NICOLAS, great food.

http://www.nicolas-restaurant.com/

Imperial FEZ

This is expensive, I would still suggest NICOLAS

http://www.imperialfez.com/

Apart from that, there is a Turkish Place, called Cafe Istanbul, have not been there, but, I would recommend Nicolas

Hope that helps.